Can members add articles

• I installed this today on my own site and was looking at User Permissions. The Framework with Article system included free. Is there an option to let members create articles - because under User permissions I'm not seeing an option for them to do it

• Yes, but it is an administrative permission as you can write content only in the ACP.

So you have to grant the users access to the ACP in a restrictive way.

• What is minimum PHP version you can use? I updated PHP version in cPanel from PHP 5.4 to 5.6 (as it won't work with 5.4) running test script and was able to add articles no problem. But spotted I was getting an error log generated for Time-Zone saying this, but not sure if it's being generated from my phpBB 3.1 install or from WBB 3.0.

[19-Aug-2016 06:06:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:07:19 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:07:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:08:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:09:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:10:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:11:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:12:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:13:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:14:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:15:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:16:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:17:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:18:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:19:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:20:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:21:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:22:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:23:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:24:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:25:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:26:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:27:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:28:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:29:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:30:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0
    [19-Aug-2016 06:31:31 America/New_York] PHP Deprecated:  Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set 'always_populate_raw_post_data' to '-1' in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. in Unknown on line 0

So I dropped PHP version to PHP Version 5.5.38 (which also passes test script) and now when writing an article in Admin CP and try to submit it live, it just shows me a blank page and doesn't submit the article

• I've not seen same error log appear dropping down from PHP 5.6 to PHP 5.5.38. But articles won't submit now from admin cp and just shows a blank page. And I have not turned on rewrite. So not bothered about sorting out the problem with PHP 5.6 because it's still supposed to work with PHP 5.5 isn't it and passes the test script without me now getting the error log generated?

• Just to let you know I have run it under PHP 5.6 and PHP 7 and it lets me add articles. But when I run it under PHP 5.5 I'm unable to add any articles get shown this blank page after submitting article entry

Files

• Capture.JPG

(29.36 kB, downloaded 148 times, last: )
  • @GTB A white page is always an indication of a PHP error, please review your logs to find the cause of it. If there are no logs, please double-check the php.ini and correct the error log setting.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• I was only getting the error logs under PHP 5.6 before and that worked adding articles. Running under PHP 5.5.38 I'm not seeing any error logs created in ROOT or in WBB Logs folder, so not seeing any error logs at all being generated to check?

I've even tried refreshing to see them appear on server and nothing is coming up

• @GTB Then the error logs aren't properly, because a white page always means that there is a PHP error. You could try enabling display_errors.

Alexander Ebert

• Quote from Black Rider
    Yes, but it is an administrative permission as you can write content only in the ACP. So you have to grant the users access to the ACP in a restrictive way.

Doesn't make sense.

Good users should be able to create content easily.

One of the reasons websites fail is good content like articles are admin-only things.    

That just simply reduces the number of articles.

Content creation should be 100% front end.  Always. 

• Quote from Xenforo Tester
    Doesn't make sense. Good users should be able to create content easily.

I totally agree. People would write, but it has to be as easy as writing forum posts. 

• Quote from jaraute
     I totally agree. People would write, but it has to be as easy as writing forum posts. 
    Quote from jaraute

Exactly.

WBB suffers from looking too closely to Xenforo.

They made the same mistake with Pages. 

I bet IPB did too. 

And guess what ?  Xenforo Pages are a complete failure.

• Does it really matter where users write the content? I don't really think so. As long as it's easy to understand how to publish content, I don't think people really care if it's in the frontend or in the ACP. The only concern I have is: Are you able to only grant access to the content creation? Like, being able to create editor groups which can only access the content creation in the ACP where they don't have care for the technical backend? And especially are not able to use any other ACP feature except for content creation? Haven't had the ability to test the alpha so far and I don't know how fine grained the permissions in the ACP are in WSC3.

• Quote from GTB
    Well, you shouldn't really being having to give 'normal members' administrative permissions to do it

You can still limit their permission to only manage articles and nothing else, so that's not exactly an issue.

Alexander Ebert

• I have asked some people if they would write articles. After I have explained how to do that (Fireball CMS in ACP) only one member wrote an article. The rest told me it is too complicated, they have forgot how it works etc. Later I offered, that people can send me the text and pictures, but even this failed. Finally I wrote a PHP Script which creates articles from forum threads. Since it is so simple to create articles some of our users started writing. 

Many administrators make the mistake that they evaluate processes from only their point of view. According to my experience, as simple a process is the more successful it is.