Is there any way to add a different pic to each forum?

• The forum board list is say page 75

So using the techniques as per the front page on this site, i could change things independently on that page.

But the forums sections and forums themselves are all page ID 76

So how would i change the header pic in each one, so it was different?

I can change the forum board list header and other parts, using page ID then referencing the bit i want to alter.

But how do you change the header or other parts in a forum if the page ID is the same?

Sorry if thats not clear, i can do some screen shots to make it clearer if it helps.

I am new to CSS (you've guessed that already)

• Ok pics might help

This is my index

And this is my forums

How do i change each forum individually?

Oh ignore the purple colour..............I got the colour number wrong :D

• Looks like you just add templates for each! Is there a downside to this as in bloating it out? From what i can find, adding templates dosnt increase the overall size much.

• The size difference is negligible and should have no greater impact than it would be making any other theme for your site. ;)

Ah i got it wrong, but you gave me the answer! When i said templates i was talking about assigning a different theme to each forum!

Then with your reply i got the answer! You dont use a theme for each.you learn to use templates, is that correct ? :D

Sounds like i at least got a fair idea where to go now, i had hoped just to do it in CSS but oh well.

Thanks for the reply, despite me using the wrong term you gave the right answer lol.

• I dislike crossing terminology. Some people call it a theme and others call it a style, but it really amounts to the same thing. :saint:

YES, you could make a style (theme) for your site and apply the CSS code for each forum or subforum.

Tim Düsterhus would be quick to remind me the difference in templates and less. :P

See that was my original idea, then i thought you meant actual templates (all the php stuff!), so now i find out i was right........... That is going to be alot of themes/styles to keep track of. Thank ISB, you have clarified what i was thinking, and now i wish i had kept a standard template lol.

Is the standard one somewhere to be downloaded? Just in case some idiot didnt keep one in his instillation :saint:. No excuse i was just an idiot!

• Ah i got it wrong, but you gave me the answer! When i said templates i was talking about assigning a different theme to each forum!

There's no way to do it with plain CSS as you cannot tell forums apart. You can however assign a custom style per forum/category, it will take care of the style both for forums and threads. All though I'm not really convinced of this approach at all, while it might sound nice at first, it can be really confusing for users when all of sudden the forum looks different.

Edit: Also when looking for terminology, you might want to look at what things are called inside the software (e.g. admin panel) and use the same phrases. They're usually consistently being used in all places and are most likely recognized by other users.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• There's no way to do it with plain CSS as you cannot tell forums apart. You can however assign a custom style per forum/category, it will take care of the style both for forums and threads. All though I'm not really convinced of this approach at all, while it might sound nice at first, it can be really confusing for users when all of sudden the forum looks different.

Edit: Also when looking for terminology, you might want to look at what things are called inside the software (e.g. admin panel) and use the same phrases. They're usually consistently being used in all places and are most likely recognized by other users.

In my case the forums being different help the user. The intention isnt to change to much in each. At the moment i am working on the fish keeping side of the sites, so if the marine forum has a marine fish top banner and a sand footer, they know they are in the marine section, if the freshwater plant section has a planted aquariums banner at the top and slightly green colouring then it fits the theme.

I think it can help the user if used in a subtle way, the screen shots above are part finished works, they are not final looks.

yes sorry about the terms, i get confused....

in the pics above the banner with people is actually the staff section, it also shows in the other forums, which is why i wanted to change it.

I will shut up now :D.

• Actually when finished i would appreciate your view, i would like to know if you think it helps the user or confuses, i think in our particular case it may well help the user. We have many distinct and varied sections. from Customers to users, to different sciences and fish keeping, all together.

• i think in our particular case it may well help the user. We have many distinct and varied sections. from Customers to users, to different sciences and fish keeping, all together.

I don't see an issue with slightly modified styles that reflect the current section of your forums. While adding a different header image, I would not recommend altering the color of interface elements (such as buttons) too much.

We put great effort into a consistent color schema, where same components in different contexts will always receive the same color. A great example are the primary buttons that appear in a bright blue color in the default style, they indicate a major functionality within its context, such as submitting a form or saving changes. Keeping these colors the same (or at least close) enables users to use the colors as guidance to quickly understand the general UI of a page they haven't seen before, simply by deriving from their experience from previously visited pages.

Long story short: I would recommend to restrict changes in such a manner that the overall layout doesn't change too much (pages look similar familiar) and that you do not break the color guidance system. You could of course use a bright green button color in your greenish style, as long as you keep it consistent and are basically just shifting colors.

Alexander Ebert

• I don't see an issue with slightly modified styles that reflect the current section of your forums. While adding a different header image, I would not recommend altering the color of interface elements (such as buttons) too much.

We put great effort into a consistent color schema, where same components in different contexts will always receive the same color. A great example are the primary buttons that appear in a bright blue color in the default style, they indicate a major functionality within its context, such as submitting a form or saving changes. Keeping these colors the same (or at least close) enables users to use the colors as guidance to quickly understand the general UI of a page they haven't seen before, simply by deriving from their experience from previously visited pages.

Long story short: I would recommend to restrict changes in such a manner that the overall layout doesn't change too much (pages look similar familiar) and that you do not break the color guidance system. You could of course use a bright green button color in your greenish style, as long as you keep it consistent and are basically just shifting colors.

I completely agree with this, the main elements are the same, for each section. While we chose a green scheme it will be consistent in most elements, except where we want to make a distinction. So areas are for students, while other are for customers, this true of both the CMS,Forum and some pages.

So our 'brand' will be consistent, but the areas well defined as distinct. This is something i had though we would struggle getting, i am delighted Your software makes the task much easier.

• In the previous version you could use CSS assigned to the forum ID number. How has this changed?

how was that done?

That would make life easier, but would increase the amount of code..

I have been doing the style on one pc :(, i switched to a widescreen laptop and discovered widescreen didnt look right!

• It wasn't, his memories betrayed him ;)

I maybe older, but clearly between the two of us, I have the better memory. :P    ;)

fireflyghost This code will need to be tweaked for WoltLab as this is the code used in another project of mine. I have used it in WoltLab before. ;)

• I was strictly speaking about what is possible out-of-the-box without customization, manually tweaked templates are not taken into consideration.

Alexander Ebert

• Thanks i will give it a go, currently i am having board sizing problems, they are more of a priority at the moment. It was going well untill i switched laptops lol.