SMTP mail issue

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

I set up the mail as per hosts instructions and using smpt the activation emails are not sent. Error logs show cant connect to host. using PHP mail activation emails are sent after a long time. Email user function works with PHP mail. I use the same email address for each.

• If you're on a shared host, which thought you said you was before? Then you don't need use SMTP for email, you can just use PHP Mail function built into cPanel instead which should work fine with your shared host.

Not sure what you're saying above exactly. But you don't change any settings for SMTP if using PHP Mail? Both are different from one another, you use 'one or the other'.

• Tim how do i clear the logs? This is one error message, i got many of them some are my fault for sure. If i can clear the logs then i can generate a new error as i have 4 pages of them.

Not sure if this is the correct error but try it.

Mon, 02 Jan 2017 02:20:46 +0000

PHP version: 5.6.28

WoltLab Suite version: 3.0.0 RC 4

Request URI: /reviews/acp/index.php?worker-proxy/&t=48d42ba8dc9d30e37d3678bdcf0ce1610a8a2f8c

Referrer: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.online/reviews/acp/index.php?user-mail/

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Peak Memory Usage: 13641960/536870912

======

Error Class: wcf\system\email\transport\exception\TransientFailure

Error Message: Unexpected reply '' from SMTP server.

Error Code: 0

File: /home/fishlywe/public_html/practicalfishkeeping.online/reviews/lib/system/email/transport/SmtpEmailTransport.class.php (154)

Extra Information: -

Stack Trace: [{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/email\/transport\/SmtpEmailTransport.class.php","line":180,"function":"read","class":"wcf\\system\\email\\transport\\SmtpEmailTransport","type":"->","args":[["[redacted]"]]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/email\/transport\/SmtpEmailTransport.class.php","line":330,"function":"connect","class":"wcf\\system\\email\\transport\\SmtpEmailTransport","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/background\/job\/EmailDeliveryBackgroundJob.class.php","line":81,"function":"deliver","class":"wcf\\system\\email\\transport\\SmtpEmailTransport","type":"->","args":["wcf\\system\\email\\Email","wcf\\system\\email\\Mailbox","wcf\\system\\email\\UserMailbox"]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/background\/BackgroundQueueHandler.class.php","line":92,"function":"perform","class":"wcf\\system\\background\\job\\EmailDeliveryBackgroundJob","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/worker\/MailWorker.class.php","line":158,"function":"performJob","class":"wcf\\system\\background\\BackgroundQueueHandler","type":"->","args":["wcf\\system\\background\\job\\EmailDeliveryBackgroundJob"]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/worker\/MailWorker.class.php","line":142,"function":"sendMail","class":"wcf\\system\\worker\\MailWorker","type":"->","args":["wcf\\system\\email\\Email","wcf\\data\\user\\User"]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/acp\/action\/WorkerProxyAction.class.php","line":92,"function":"execute","class":"wcf\\system\\worker\\MailWorker","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/action\/AbstractAction.class.php","line":47,"function":"execute","class":"wcf\\acp\\action\\WorkerProxyAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/action\/AJAXInvokeAction.class.php","line":63,"function":"__run","class":"wcf\\action\\AbstractAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/request\/Request.class.php","line":83,"function":"__run","class":"wcf\\action\\AJAXInvokeAction","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/lib\/system\/request\/RequestHandler.class.php","line":94,"function":"execute","class":"wcf\\system\\request\\Request","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/home\/fishlywe\/public_html\/practicalfishkeeping.online\/reviews\/acp\/index.php","line":9,"function":"handle","class":"wcf\\system\\request\\RequestHandler","type":"->","args":["wcf",true]}]

• One thing i will say, i know i am one of the people asking for this ot that to be changed, bt seeing the latest RC releases i think these need stability before things like graphics are tackled.

From a non defined 'feel' the latest RC release seems less stable than RC2, but it also seems to have more added in the way of function. This isnt a criticism, i am just finding it difficult to keep up with how it all works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Tim how do i clear the logs?

you can delete the log files by deleting the txt files in your wcf/logs folder.

May I ask you which your SMTP server address / webhoster is (you can send it in private using a conversation)? I'm curious, because this error message has been reported in German threads and I have never been able to reproduce it.

• Hi

I am at work at the moment, I will clear the logs and generate a message, i will also send you all information regarding the host etc. I use the same settings for webmail clients and these work ok.

I dont know if this is relevant but, some hosts including one of mine, have installed an apache addon fire wall ( I dont know the name) this seems to need a lot of whitelisting and tweaking by the host company to let alot of simple things to happen. In a different software package i use, they have got around this by reconfiguring how data is sent, this apparently stops the trigger.

it may be of no relevance but just incase............

• I will contact you with ore details, however for others information...........

If you use a email address not connected with the Domain that the WCF is installed on, then emails kind of work. I say kind of because if you look at the following screen shot you will see the problem.

As you can see the email address for ALL generated emails is set to activation@.................

I registered a user and did get an email, however the address the email was sent from is activation@............. but the reply to address is set to the admin@...............address

Is this a 'feature' or a small bug?

I will now try and reset the emails using the same domain name the instillation on and see if errors are generated

• So i set the email in WCF to the same settings as above, however this time i use the same .TLD that the instillation is set to.

No mail is sent for activation. having deleted the txt file in the logs folder before doing these tests, i now have no errors being generated. so i dont have any logs.......

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Is this a 'feature' or a small bug?

Feature.

how do i contact you tim?

Conversation: https://www.woltlab.com/conversation-add/?userID=1336766 or email: duesterhus@woltlab.com

Regarding the mails: A slight delay is expected, the mails are sent asynchronously in a separate request to keep the site snappy in case of slow mail servers and mass mailings (e.g. notification mails after a post is created). Queued mails are stored inside wcf1_background_job. Activation mails should be processed rather quickly, though. The error message using SMTP in post #5 should not happen in any case and therefore I am curious about your set up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

The error message using SMTP in post #5 should not happen in any case and therefore I am curious about your set up.

I must correct myself: I read that error message wrong. The SMTP connection to your mail server drops instantly after setting it up. WoltLab Suite did not even get the chance to send an SMTP command. If you are positive that you entered the correct address and port you should ask your web hoster for advice. I can take a look anyway, if you want.

• I have sent you an email, let me know if i can give more info or assistance. i will continue to test further.

regarding the feature........... Thank you for letting me know, is there a way to alter a template to give a different address to reply to? i only ask because we wanted to use the admin email specifically for other things, it would help if we could have a different reply address in activation emails.

I accept this is a special request, i am not asking for adding to be added, i am just wondering if a user can alter something to change the activation reply address, it isnt a big problem if not. It simply means i have to change which admin account i use.

• Hi

I must correct myself: I read that error message wrong. The SMTP connection to your mail server drops instantly after setting it up. WoltLab Suite did not even get the chance to send an SMTP command. If you are positive that you entered the correct address and port you should ask your web hoster for advice. I can take a look anyway, if you want.

This is a UK wide DNS error on the server, i have just checked with my host, everyone outside of the UK can reach the site via the correct URL, however in the UK you have to use a different one i set up to bypass the main one. so maybe this is indeed a server issue with that particular TLD. I am more certain the issue is because of a recent security add on to the apache server they have installed. ity has caused other problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

I accept this is a special request, i am not asking for adding to be added, i am just wondering if a user can alter something to change the activation reply address, it isnt a big problem if not. It simply means i have to change which admin account i use.

This can be achieved using a small custom plugin. There is currently no knob to turn.

Please note: Bounces will still be sent to the „Sender's Email“. The Administrator's email is used for Human replies only!

I am more certain the issue is because of a recent security add on to the apache server they have installed. ity has caused other problems.

I am certain this is not the fault of the security add on, but rather the DNS outage. The Apache add-on would break the link between the user and the web server. While sending emails the link between the web server and the mail server is broken. Apache does not even know were sending an email.

The DNS outage would explain the error message in post #5 to me: Mail servers typically check the Reverse DNS of the connecting client. The broken DNS may have caused the mail server to misbehave and drop the connection.

• Ok i found the re queue stuck email items in cron jobs, if i manually press the button it sends the emails, i notice this cron is set to run every ten mins, alot of hosts (mine included) do not like/allow Cron jobs sent more than once every 15 mins, some get past them and some dont....

I will edit this to 16 mins and try again.

• All of the above is information which may help others with similar problems, i think many of the issues may be host related, however most people are on shared hosts, so if i can find work arounds it may help others. my host package is not the cheap one, i have a decent package capable of running 50 TLDs on it, it is the package below the reseller one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!