Image issue in both gallery and articles.

• Betroffene Version
    WoltLab Suite 3.0

I posted this over at Taz first here https://theadminzone.com/threads/rc2-th…4/#post-1080988

and here https://theadminzone.com/threads/articl…andling.143069/

In a nut shell i cant get images to display correctly, the following is an example of gallery image and how its cropped, then how it displays in dashboard.

So you pic an image and the crop box pops up, it crops it into a quadratic shape. However when you goto the dashboard this is how it displays the image.

Despite it being a square image once cropped, the dashboard makes a mess of the image. I have been told there are no plans to fix this until a major release! I am also told a non quadratic image cant be expected to display correctly, however it is quadratic by default because it has been cropped into a square!

The way articles handle images is in my opinion worse, you get no control over how they will display.

this is an example of a small 405 X 218px image for an article.

so you got into create article and choose a pic like so.

So having chosen the image it does this to it (keep in mind you have no control over cropping for this).

Its cut the front and back off!

So when you goto the dashboard the picture looks like this.

Very unprofessional looking. What is still worse is if you go to the actual article you have created, keeping in mind the main header image is what attracts people.

I dont see how this can possibly wait for the next major release, we are looking for an initial 7 licenses..Both the Article and gallery are top priority for us, we are due to launch at the end of Jan, I need to know if this is fixable and if so when? having spent so much time evaluating Woltlab. and being impressed right upto this point. I have no time left to evaluate and recommend another software, however we would not be able to use this as it stands.

Anyone got a cludge we could use to get around how the image is displayed?

Surely it cant be hard to let the user choose which bit of the image is shown in the article?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no setting for this and there is a bit more behind this approach, as it yields acceptable (at least to some extent) thumbnails for rectangular images with little relative difference in height and width, while covering significantly tall or wide images.

We do have plans to extend this functionality and are even considering separate selections for the special tiny thumbnail (which is always quadratic), unfortunately there won't be no such changes for the current release. The current version is RC 2 with the next release candidate waiting around the corner and following our stability guidelines there will no more significant changes.

• I am sorry but your missing the point, the gallery image when cropped is square, there is no reason why a system cropped square image should not scale correctly. It looks awful, pictures are probably one of the most important features of a site.

The article image problem is far worse. Having tried many images, it is complete luck how they reproduce on the actual article. When people browse articles and see messed up pictures, they simply move on.

I really liked the software, but i have to withdraw our recommendation on using it for the 7 sites we have planned. There is no way we can use it with such poor image handling. i understand it may be better for long tall images, but unfortunately the niche for tree websites is small.

We are due to launch end of Jan, we will have to put this back to Feb while we evaluate another package.

I wish you all well but for me this ends the journey, i cant wait for a major release. What worries me more is despite good example above of common type and shape images, you seem to think its ok for a website. Personally i dont happen to think this is your personal opinion however ;).

Whoever is pushing to get this released has just lost 7 full licenses. And for those who know the project i am involved in, it could well have been a great deal more.

• Before i delete the sites i want to try something. I think we are talking about different things here. So just to make sure.

Is there anyway in the templates or CSS i can change the size of this box on the page shown??

If i can alter the box size then hopefully both ends of the pics will show.

• I don't understand either why parts of the image is being cropped off like this. Why can't you simply use max-width to resize images down proper, without any cropping off of the image taking place.

• Despite it being a square image once cropped, the dashboard makes a mess of the image. I have been told there are no plans to fix this until a major release! I am also told a non quadratic image cant be expected to display correctly, however it is quadratic by default because it has been cropped into a square!

Most images are not SQUARE. It's not really possible to resize a rectangular image down to a square image - not without it losing focus and going misshaped. Try it with something like photoshop. This is why the image is being cropped to make it fit being a square image from a non square one. You can't really make every image the same size and height like that, not from a rectangular or odd shaped image.

Why does the image have to be a set same width and height. It can just have max-width set (so it might be taller) than other images. But at least the image gets resized down and all would have same width used. I don't see how they can fix this myself, not with what they're trying to do here keeping width and height same sizes?

This will just end up never being fixed, pushed into a corner for future fix (that never happens)

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (30. Dezember 2016 um 21:42)

• Most images are not SQUARE. It's not really possible to resize a rectangular image down to a square image - not without it losing focus and going misshaped. Try it with something like photoshop. This is why the image is being cropped to make it fit being a square image from a non square one. You can't really make every image the same size and height like that, not from a rectangular or odd shaped image.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what fireflyghost was talking about. fireflyghost was talking about images that are already square, please read posts carefully before you comment on them.

• I think you better re-read the topic again Paul. Where exactly does he mentioned he used "all square images", and do you see all square images being used in some of his posts? ;)

He is showing you here that he uploaded a rectangular shaped image and the tail and head of the fish got cropped off to make it fit being square. The only way around that not happening is to upload square images all the time to avoid the cropping taking place. Otherwise if no cropping takes place, you'll have a hugely distorted image

119822-k2-png

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (30. Dezember 2016 um 22:08)

• I think you better re-read the topic again Paul. Where exactly does he mentioned he used "all square images", and do you see all square images being used in some of his posts?

He mentioned that he used a square image and still had a problem with the image being cropped badly. You are taking things off topic (again) and diluting the importance of what the OP said because your reading comprehension is not adequate,

• I am sorry but your missing the point, the gallery image when cropped is square, there is no reason why a system cropped square image should not scale correctly. It looks awful, pictures are probably one of the most important features of a site.

Yes, seems he's had it happening to square images used also. I missed that little paragraph section you spotted. But that still doesn't take away the fact it's also cropping non square images very badly. Not good enough that for showing images like the op said.

You're picking out one part of the topic where he mentions it happening to a square image also. The topic isn't just about that one aspect of it all. Again, read the whole topic...

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (30. Dezember 2016 um 22:36)

• I was under assumption that auto resizing was going to be handled better in this newer version... Well, I guess it's time to wait another year to year and half again and spend more money to update to get the fix / it handled. Of course in a year and half that might get fixed, another show stopper issue will arise and need to wait yet another year and half for that fix and more money spent to get it. It's vicious cycle of waiting and spending around here, that's normal though (Customers lose out, and Woltlab loses out with fewer licenses purchased cause there's issues not being fixed to please customers). lol

• I was under assumption that auto resizing was going to be handled better in this newer version... Well, I guess it's time to wait another year to year and half again and spend more money to update to get the fix / it handled. Of course in a year and half that might get fixed, another show stopper issue will arise and need to wait yet another year and half for that fix and more money spent to get it. It's vicious cycle of waiting and spending around here, that's normal though (Customers lose out, and Woltlab loses out with fewer licenses purchased cause there's issues not being fixed to please customers). lol

What makes me laugh. The guy got more replies out WBB by posting this on TAZ forum. They will just ignore it now posted here

• What makes me laugh. The guy got more replies out WBB by posting this on TAZ forum. They will just ignore it now posted here

lol... that whole ordeal shouldn't be going on in first place, all English help questions, feedback, issues, etc should be handled here at the company website, not at a 3rd party English site. It gives or sends bad message to English folks that there's not good English support here for them. And having that "Made in Germany (where we don't really help English on our company support site, but else where in 4 different other English forums)" slapped on front page don't help either, it sends message to potential customers that's German only software not geared well to non-German users. But it's not my company, not my place to say how it's be run either of course.

• Yes, but when you get more answers on TAZ out WBB staff, which is not first time I've noticed this happening. It shows they must hang out on that forum a lot all the time. That is fair enough, we all know most developers hang about on these big webmaster forums to spot topics about their software. But it gets annoying when you might keep posting something here going ignored - then you go visit TAZ and spot them answering questions on that 3rd party forum same day.

But anyway. The point here is about this image cropping issue.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von NicoleSophie (31. Dezember 2016 um 00:22)

• There is alot of misunderstanding here, the point i was making,i will post this again tomorrow step by step. Once you see what i mean you will understand you have zero control on how the image will look. Even when you click on the article to read it the image is mashed up.

No other software has this problem. The thumbnail is worse, i dont have a problem with bits chopped off, my problem is the crop should allow you to choose which bits are chopped, instead when you crop the image, the bit you crop dosnt show in the thumbnail how you cropped it, so what is the point even having a moveable crop if the display then ignores the way you cropped it. Worse than that, click on the article thumbnail and the actual article picture is totally different from the cropped one, or the original, you have no idea how it will look until you check the article, then you have no way to correct it.

It makes Gallery less than useful and the articles look so bad as thumbnails no one will bother reading the article. This isnt a new feature that needs adding, its a problem that needs a fix.

You cant charge for a gallery that dosnt display images, if they are saying this isnt a problem as such , then those who have already purchased licenses are going to be pretty annoyed when they find out the released version has so many flaws in.

AND NO this isnt something for a add on, this is something that should be added out the box.

• I honestly dont think there is any interest in the Uk market, I wanted 7 licenses for regional test installs, this is for my school project, had the regional trials gone well then 400 licenses. this is not new information, there are few people who dont know about the project i am involved in. Thats one UK person with a potential for 400+ licenses.

• It's vicious cycle of waiting and spending around here, that's normal though (Customers lose out, and Woltlab loses out with fewer licenses purchased cause there's issues not being fixed to please customers). lol

If my site incorporated articles are galleries very heavily I'd seriously have to look elsewhere for the solution. The current one looks down-right childish in its appearance. Apparently this is something that has been there long term? If so, it should have been resolved in THIS release.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm a bit surprised by the lines drawn, the impact on the gallery isn't that much considering it works with much larger thumbnails that do use rectangular images. The tiny thumbnails are always quadratic and are used when other sizes are simply too large without interrupting the layout. A quadratic thumbnail generated from an image with a different aspect ratio will always look odd, no matter which part of the image is selected, you're always missing things.

Gallery images could benefit from a better/different cropping approach on the dashboard, but this isn't the primary source when looking through images and the gallery pages themselves work with much larger images and different aspect ratios. Which brings me back to my original point, that they do not obstruct navigating through albums, image lists or viewing a single image.

Regarding the article images, these quadratic thumbnails are a bit awkward and we're not entirely happy on how it turns out at times. This is something we're looking forward to solve in the future, but there is currently no proper solution that would fit in every case. Proper scaling of images has always been quite challenging as there are many different combinations when it comes to aspect ratio and focus on the primary subject.

You could try adding a custom version of the article list template that uses the original image instead, but scales it down to the dimensions of your choice. Be aware that this will cause the original images to be loaded, causing a significant increase in bandwidth used to view that particular page.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!