Promotions vs Likes

• Why include likes in the promotions if you can't prohibit users from liking their own posts. Looks like an easy way for someone to get promoted easily by just liking every one of their posts.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the user should be able to like nor rate their own post - which apparently they can currently do (unless I've missed a setting somewhere in the ACP).

• You did ;-)Search the ACP for 'own content' and you'll find it.

Sure you aren't using an add-on that provides that function?

Before that I had already searched for own and this is all I get (so it's not like I hadn't searched even on a wider front).

• maybe something like this interests you:

Kind of overkill for simple thread rating. I could see using it for some of the other modules, but forums?
    I still think it's an oversight by the developers to allow users to rate/like their own posts. Allows for to much gamification of the system.

• Maybe, we talk past each other. But that is not caused by an add-on, it's a WCF language item.
    However, Woltlab changed this language item a few days ago with the recent patch day (WCF 2.1.11 pl1 -> WCF 2.1.12). And since I never update immediately because of potential errors/problems ...

Sorry for the confusion/work I caused.

Gruß, Udo

• Kind of overkill for simple thread rating. I could see using it for some of the other modules, but forums?I still think it's an oversight by the developers to allow users to rate/like their own posts. Allows for to much gamification of the system.

You can simply disallow the option. No oversight by the developers. They simply look at Facebook for example.

Maybe, we talk past each other. But that is not caused by an add-on, it's a WCF language item.
    However, Woltlab changed this language item a few days ago with the recent patch day (WCF 2.1.11 pl1 -> WCF 2.1.12). And since I never update immediately because of potential errors/problems ...

Sorry for the confusion/work I caused.

Ups.. Sorry I forgot that @Smooey changed that recently... My bad..

• Let's back off the throttle a bit. :)

From my perspective, it looks a bit like we're having trouble seeing why anyone would possibly do something differently from us. It's like with driving, anyone who drives faster than us is an accident waiting to happen; anyone who drives slower than us is an accident waiting to happen.

The trouble in this case seems to be that Tracy wants to prevent a user from gaining something maliciously. I'm of the opinion that the user in question is the problem and should be dealt with, Throwholics seems to be of the opinion that the whole thing is ludicrous, and Smooey thinks it should obviously and clearly be a settable option (this feature request can be made in the appropriate board, if it hasn't already been made).

I, personally, am going to check out of this thread, as the above paragraph states all the useful information I feel is going to come out of it.

• I can definitely see how you'd feel that way.

For me, it's not really a matter of "winning" when I discuss something with someone, but a matter of trying to get them to understand my view point. I don't always succeed, but I do my best.

Something I believe is of importance is that, whether Throwholics acts in the way you mention or not, his opinion isn't the only one that matters. As plain old Woltlab customers, we all have about the same amount of "weight" behind our words. If we can't convince the person we're currently discussing with, one can only hope that future readers who come through this thread will see our point and understand it. That's the nicest thing about a forum vs a chat room, in my opinion.

I know I said I was checking out, but I couldn't help but explain the above, having previously felt how you feel now. It's definitely a crappy feeling, and I hope my words have helped, if only a little. :)

• You can simply disallow the option. No oversight by the developers. They simply look at Facebook for example.

Poor example to use as far as I'm concerned. Just because "facebook does it" doesn't mean it's right. Facebook doesn't allow promotions based upon those type of criteria.. the forum script does - so that invalidates that "excuse". ;)

He can simply deny it !uncechk the check box and he should be fine )

But that then denies the valid use by others of it. Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. They should never even have that ability - it's useless... simple vanity being allowed to run at will, serving no useful purpose.

That is not a valid answer, because now you have just killed one of the methods of promotions.

Again, to me it's a poorly thought out implementation in allowing users to like/rate their own posts. It may have been like that in earlier versions, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not what most admins of the other major scripts expect.
    IPS won't allow it, XenForo does not allow it, not sure about vB but odds are it's the same (will research to make sure now that my curiosity is up).

Honestly.. if it bothers me bad enough, I'll just remove WBB off the site and either re-use a XenForo license I have or grab another IPS one. I was just basically wondering if I had overlooked the option and apparently I had not since it's an "everybody gets to play in the pit" or "nobody plays in the pit" option.

Since the question has been answered, thread marked as done.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Tracy Perry (23. Oktober 2016 um 10:18)

• I guess you totally miss the point of your own thread....

Why include likes in the promotions if you can't prohibit users from liking their own posts. Looks like an easy way for someone to get promoted easily by just liking every one of their posts.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the user should be able to like nor rate their own post - which apparently they can currently do (unless I've missed a setting somewhere in the ACP).

This question has to be answered with yes. You simply missed it...

• Once the Like system is enabled every use can use the like system
    • Besides the general like system Woltlab enables you with 2 more options:

You can allow users to like their conten and to even dislike content.

If you simply enable the Like system in the modules, and disable the check box for "like their own content" users will be able to like content of others.
    And this is exactly what you planned to do if I am not mistaken....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!