Justify text (Articles - WSC)

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

Hello,

Please add the option to justify text in articles.

My styles and plugins in the Plugin-Store.

Spoiler anzeigen

— ¡Carajo! —gritó

Amaranta, que empezaba a meter la ropa en el baúl, creyó que la había picado un alacrán.

— ¿Dónde está? —preguntó alarmada.

—¿Qué?

— ¡El animal!

Úrsula se puso un dedo en el corazón.

— Aquí —dijo.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• Hm, in the current version it is available.

It's available in the WCF 2.1 editor (can't remember if also in WCF 2.0), but is not yet available in the new article system, I know is still on Alpha but I hope the option will be added :P

Spoiler anzeigen

— ¡Carajo! —gritó

Amaranta, que empezaba a meter la ropa en el baúl, creyó que la había picado un alacrán.

—¿Qué?

— ¡El animal!

— Aquí —dijo.

♪Quiero robarle los minutos a las horas pa' que mis padres nunca se me pongan viejos...♫

• Offizieller Beitrag

The alignment plugin from Imperavi only offers left, right and center, so I need to add text justification. Adding it won't be that much of an issue, all though I'm still a bit unsure if I should actually add it, because typographical-wise it is just plain bad and actually hurts readability: Justified text requires proper word division which browsers are not capable of. One reason why we're using a different font and a slightly large text size is to increase readability, but justifying text is the exact opposite :/

• One reason why we're using a different font and a slightly large text size is to increase readability, but justifying text is the exact opposite

But why are you offering it in the WCF 2.0 / WCF 2.1 framework then?
    And I believe it used to be in the previous WBB versions as well.

justified:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

left:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

I believe it is way easier to read something if its justified.
    Otherwise why would all universities, and all official texts such as papers, journals etc have the requirement to be justified (at least the majority does)

• Offizieller Beitrag

But why are you offering it in the WCF 2.0 / WCF 2.1 framework then?
    And I believe it used to be in the previous WBB versions as well.

This is the reason I'm leaning towards adding it again, but that doesn't make it any better. There are quite a few features that we ship that maybe once were considered to be useful, but actually aren't that great. It's also a bit difficult to remove things, as people get used to certain behaviors and get upset if you remove it, even if you're offering a far better solution.

For instance Redactor II doesn't allow altering of font size and color, instead they're aiming for a pre-defined set of formats including the ability to use the <hX>-tags. I would love to get rid of both font size and color for multiple reasons - also because they're a nightmare considering how browsers internally handle them - but this would definitely cause a riot among a lot of users if we attempt to change it. It doesn't matter if we can come up with a better solution, it would simply not be the same and thus is automatically assumed to be bad.

It took me weeks to figure out a stable solution that avoids both browser mangling with them, and Redactor from removing them…

I believe it is way easier to read something if its justified.
    Otherwise why would all universities, and all official texts such as papers, journals etc have the requirement to be justified (at least the majority does)

Again, this requires word division (de. Silbentrennung), otherwise you gain nothing but huge spaces. You should also consider that your text might look great on desktop, but on smaller screens such as smartphones it can cause large gaps of white-spaces. Lorem Ipsum is a bad example as the average word length is pretty low, just think of all these character-trains in the German language ;)

• Dislike justified text, you get too much big a spacing in places between text entry per line written. Sometimes it can huge spacing and looks bad. It might work better with a small font size used, but not with a bigger font size. And when you do things like wrap text around image or vote poll - that might only use a small section of space for text, having it justified can then be even worse looking if you add long words that don't fit the limited text space well, you can end up with huge text spacing added at times

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (17. Juni 2016 um 16:33)

• justified:

• For instance Redactor II doesn't allow altering of font size and color,

I didn't know that ;)
    BUt have seen it just now on their website...

. You should also consider that your text might look great on desktop, but on smaller screens such as smartphones it can cause large gaps of white-spaces.

Never thought about mobile to be honest...
    maybe I wil stick to simply left side the WSC 3.0 default for my future blogs ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, it is just Chrome, who doesn’t support it, the other major browser do support auto hyphens:http://caniuse.com/#search=hyphens

And is the major browser on both desktop and mobile devices, therefore hyphens in browsers do not exist. As I said, the impact on mobile devices is much more an issue.

• Yes, justified text is a problem in browsers. It's an aesthetic problem, but it's also a big problem for persons with vision problems. But... I like use the justified text in some cases, and I think the option should be available in the editor.

(...) A combination of the first two points make justified text difficult to read by dyslexic users. The uneven white space creates a distraction which can easily make you lose your place. As web designers we spend time testing in different browsers to make sure as many people as possible can view the website as intended. Around 10% of the UK population are affected by dyslexia to some degree, so making a website that is difficult for 10% of users to read is obviously a bad idea!

Visually impaired users often use screen magnifiers to enlarge text to a suitable level. Many magnifiers work by enlarging the area around your mouse. Because the large uneven spaces are also magnified it can become difficult for the to follow the words with their magnifying software. Instead of following the flow of words along even spacing, users have to find the start of each new word.

The Royal National Institute of Blind people (RNIB) strongly recommend websites do not use justified text. Modern websites are all about the user. There was a time websites were created to look good on the creators screen, not necessarily other users. Websites we not tested thoroughly to make sure all users can access the content. Times have changed and accessibility and usability are very important factors in modern website development. Doing anything that excludes or hinders certain users, reduces the audience and therefore the overall success of a website.

• I think it should be up to the author to decide whether to justify text or to choose another alignment.

Spoiler anzeigen

— ¡Carajo! —gritó

—¿Qué?

— ¡El animal!

— Aquí —dijo.

• up to the author to decide whether to justify text or to choose another alignment.

That might not be an option because Redactor II doesn't come with the feature of doing it, only has align left, right, centre from what I can see on the demo of it. Which I think is why they are discussing making it one way or another for everyone. justified, or not justified

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (17. Juni 2016 um 20:48)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!