Stop posts that members don't have permission to read or view from bumping Recent Activities down

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

Lets say I display 10 Recent Activities on Dashboard by default. I have a hidden staff forum that only I can see. On that staff forum I made 10 posts in a row with no members posting out in meantime. When members come back there will be no recent activities displayed to them because the 10 hidden posts I made on that staff forum members cannot read. Each one posted will bump a post off recent activities, but showing members nothing in place of it because they don't have permission to view the post.

I tried changing settings for the staff forum, such as not index posts in search, e.t.c. Thinking that might stop it happening then. But nothing does when changed for the forum.

End result, they see nothing listed on recent activities until something is posted they do have permission to read. If a member does not have permission to read or view a post, why does it bump a post off the list so 10 becomes 9 listed, and so on until nothing is listed. It makes it impossible to run a private forum some users cannot read, also makes things hard running a hidden staff forum. Because if either forum gets used a lot often, those that can't view those two forums (read the content) - they will constantly be having recent activities list being bumped down for them none stop

Maybe something like, don't display post in recent activities is needed as a new setting that can be used with some hidden/private forums you create that only certain groups can view. Just an idea?

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (26. April 2016 um 21:21)

• In other words.. it needs to follow the users access permissions to the forum(s) and/or have a flag in the node segment to exclude it from the list is what you are saying

• Basically yes. If a new post gets listed top of recent activities a member does not have permission to view and recent activites is setup to show 10 post on dashboard (for example). Then the member should still see 10 posts listed (minus the new post) they don't have permission to see. Instead though that new post will bump oldest post off recent activities. Only showing the member 9 post now instead of 10

It still counts it as a new post on recent activities, even though that member can't see it

• but this can lead to problems, 1) performance when when making activities to check what activities can be deleted because it needs to check the permissions to each activity for all groups and then storage: if you have a group that can see almost nothing then a lot of you activities may remain in the DB making this in both points some pretty funny stuff.

aus angst vor Capslock nutze ich selten shift.

in fear of capslock I rarely use shift.

• You can't always save on performance if something is messing up other things - how they should work. This makes it more or less impossible to have private usergroup forums, or staff hidden forums. The problems having them become all to obvious when you login as a regular member and see nothing hardly listed on recent activities because last X number of posts was all made on a usergroup private forum, or hidden staff forum. It creates an ongoing issue everytime a post is made on a hiidden or private usergroup forum only certain members have access too. It even bumps posts off recent activities to guest, if I remember right.

It's flawed and needs fixing

• why does this make it impossible for private forums, I mean knowing that such a thing exists wont kill anyone and it should not be weird to anyone since every forum needs a way for staff communication, and one of the most often used means is a private subforum.

and fun gets even bettter when the guests can only view one single subforum. then your activity must be kept until eternity (or you make 10 consecutive activities that everyone can see) which may require quite a load on the storage.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We're already considering a few solutions to this, the easiest approach is to increase the cache to include more items (e.g. 50) while only displaying the configured amount of items. This has the benefit of little-to-none impact on performance, while accounting for inaccessible items. It is still left open how to handle cases where this doesn't cut it, but I'm confident that we'll find a solution for that.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• the easiest approach is to increase the cache to include more items (e.g. 50) while only displaying the configured amount of items

as long displayed amount < cache amount, but this really is one of the most simple ways dealing with it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!