[Ready] Grammar Use & Punctuation: ACP - Maintenance - Rebuild Data

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Core

Here is what I propose, feel free to chime in and suggest something better. Or if you approve of them, then that's great of course.

Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.like.description"><![CDATA[Synchronizes activity points]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.like.description"><![CDATA[Recalculates the activity points.]]></item>
    Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.like.user"><![CDATA[Rebuild Like-Users]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.like.user"><![CDATA[Rebuild Likes-Users]]></item>
    Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.like.user.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the list of like users]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.like.user.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the users using the Likes System.]]></item>
    Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.user.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the user counters and ranks]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.user.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the user counters and ranks.]]></item>
    Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.attachment.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds attachment preview images]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.attachment.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the attachment preview images.]]></item>
    Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.statDaily.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the daily statistics]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.rebuildData.com.woltlab.wcf.statDaily.description"><![CDATA[Rebuilds the daily statistics.]]></item>

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (7. April 2016 um 08:41)

• Right, I'm not sure myself, I just assumed they were using a mix of A.E and B.E. Lol. But using the "s" at the end of it doesn't make sense in certain sentence formation. I don't see how dropping the "s" would get everyone into a frenzy. We could use this too of course "This synchronizes the activity points. "

• Oh, I just used what they used from the default language file, then just dropped the "s" at the end of it to make it into sentence form. But I understand what you're saying now.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (31. März 2016 um 08:21)

• Regarding things like This will synchronize the activity points.: I can't help myself but this just doesn't sound right in my head, it feels a bit bulky imho.

Well, it's for the descriptions, not the button text. But was making them into sentence form, to include the periods at the end of them. Unless you just keep them default as "list text" or something?

Currently, they look or appear to be sentences that don't end.. They're open description text, telling the users what they're doing or what they're for...The last one has a period at the end of it, but all others don't.

I don't think the proposals I gave would make much difference on space though either, cause there's a lot of white space on the right-hand side of screen haha. It will give a more "professional looking" explanation as to what the buttons are going to do too. It looks or appears as coders rushed through developing the software, leaving things "open" and "incomplete" sentence-wise.

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (31. März 2016 um 10:49)

• Offizieller Beitrag

On second thought, shouldn't be it be enough to just append a period and we're done? These are still incomplete sentences, but grammar-wise this should be all right.

Anyway, the descriptions aren't great either, I mean what is the point behind having a button labeled Rebuild Thumbnails of Gallery Images and then having a description that reads the same exact content? Might be a better idea to remove these descriptions unless they add a real value; This is pretty similar to what we've previously done to ACP options which no longer have a description unless required.

• On second thought, shouldn't be it be enough to just append a period and we're done? These are still incomplete sentences, but grammar-wise this should be all right.

Yeah, that's what I proposed originally I think. Lol.

Anyway, the descriptions aren't great either, I mean what is the point behind having a button labeled Rebuild Thumbnails of Gallery Images and then having a description that reads the same exact content? Might be a better idea to remove these descriptions unless they add a real value; This is pretty similar to what we've previously done to ACP options which no longer have a description unless required.

It's up to you, if you don't think descriptions are really needed, then maybe it's just better to remove them. I think most just go through them all, clicking each one in a random order anyway. Well, they most likely know what to do in general with rebuilding data.

Edit: I'm not sure, though, because a lot of new users come from other software, and a little description might help them understand what they're for... I'm not sure off hand, but is there a reminder or link from the data import page to rebuild data after importing from other software? If not, might be useful "reminder" or link is given to users in a description on data import pages.

7 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (31. März 2016 um 11:39)

• I think the descriptions are necessary to understand the function of these buttons. Personally (in my ignorance) the phrases looks good.

---

Thinking in unnecessary descriptions I have one example:

Configuration > Module > Content
    Tagging Vs Tags. All know what are the tags, because are used in blogs, forums, galleries, etc. And the option in the ACP is 'Tags' (Content > Tags). I think the option 'Tags' is more intuitive than 'Tagging' and you can remove the description.

• Thinking in unnecessary descriptions I have one example:

Configuration > Module > Content
    Tagging Vs Tags. All know what are the tags, because are used in blogs, forums, galleries, etc. And the option in the ACP is 'Tags' (Content > Tags). I think the option 'Tags' is more intuitive than 'Tagging' and you can remove the description.

That one can be handled over here: Language - W.C.F. missing punctuation It's still work in progress yet, it's only one I didn't finish yet for new proposals/changes. The main thread where we were having the discussion / debating is done, in the first post. Others with "Grammar Use & Punctuation" titles (blog bugs, calendar bugs, gallery bugs forums etc) should be done/good to go unless others have other ideas, suggestions, etc.

Edited first post here to reflect your proposal, as for the others in that thread, will do more after I get some sleep in a bit here.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (31. März 2016 um 11:38)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Edit: I'm not sure, though, because a lot of new users come from other software, and a little description might help them understand what they're for...

I think the descriptions are necessary to understand the function of these buttons.

I'm not talking about removing every description, but those that don't add any value. A description should provide additional information that aren't already provided by the button label. That's why I've chosen the button Rebuild Thumbnails of Gallery Images, because its description reads exactly the same, rendering it completely pointless.

I think we should either look if we could alter these kinds of description to provide more insight into what is actually going on behind the curtains or get rid of them entirely.

• I see your points now, yeah, I'm not sure what to do there then. Maybe you can think more on it through the day and make a final decision? Cause it would look wonky if some don't have descriptions at all and others did. But then buttons that basically tell what's happening anyway, don't really need descriptions. Yet, you can't make button text too detailed either, or the buttons will extend across the page lol. I'm not sure what all goes on behind the curtains per se, as I didn't develop the software, of course, only developers can add that information.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (31. März 2016 um 12:10)

• I'm not sure what's more grammatically correct here, but "Rebuilds" vs "Rebuild" use? Or.. "Click to rebuild ... " as main button text, in the beginning of each one, for examples...

"Click to Rebuild the Forums"
    "Click to Rebuild the Posts and Counters"
    "Click to Rebuild the Threads"
    "Click to Rebuild Likes"
    "Click to Rebuild Like-Users"
    "Click to Rebuild Thumbnails of Gallery Images"
    etc

Then drop descriptions all together.

Could maybe do short n sweet button text... "Rebuilds posts and counters"
    "Rebuilds the threads"
    "Rebuilds the posts"
    etc .. just include trailing "s" after the word "Rebuild", then just add the rest in short and sweet form. But not sure if the "s" is grammatically correct or not. But it does kind of say what action is being done. Not sure how it translates over to other languages though either...

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (31. März 2016 um 12:23)

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Rebuilds the threads"
    "Rebuilds the posts"

As far as I know the article isn't required there because it refers to all threads/posts and not specific ones. Googled a bit and stumbled across this explanation here: http://www.grammarly.com/handbook/gramm…essary-article/ (grammarly, so we meet again)

• I would just capitalize the button text that is missing capitalization then, and drop descriptions totally.
    > "Rebuild Post Search Index"

If users need help, they can post in the forum about it. But like I said above there, if it's not included already on the data import page, maybe include link or text description reminding users to "rebuild data" after import, and to rebuild them all.

And that other one, drop the "s" on "Rebuilds" Aethior pointed out above.. then drop all descriptions.

• Maybe my question is stupid but... when the people use these buttons? The most common situation is after a data importation, right? In a full installation there are 19 buttons. Why not more simple buttons? Rebuild Board (forums, threads and posts), Rebuild Blog (blogs and entries), Rebuild Calendar (calendar and events), Rebuild Gallery (images and albums), Rebuild Filebase (files and versions), Rebuild Conversations (conversations and messages), Rebuild Statistics, Rebuild Users, Rebuild Search Index (general).

I don't understand this function correctly? Is better (19) buttons for every action than (9) buttons per category?

Edit. When I have to rebuild data I press all buttonss in order without read the name or description. XD

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!