Shoutbox or Chatroom as a free core feature

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

I was just discussing this with @GTB on his forum. I think it would be great if WoltLab had a shoutbox or chatroom as a free core feature. I can only think of one software company that offers a chatroom as a core feature and you can only have up to 5 people use it for free. I'm sure it seems like something pretty insignificant to many people who would never use it, but something like this would drive many new customers to WBB. Maybe something could be worked out with @TimWolla to have "Tim's Chat" become a core feature?

• I think it would be great if WoltLab had a shoutbox or chatroom as a free core feature.

I would have said either as free in the core, or sold as a new official add-on developed.

I was thinking more the latter really, but free in core is worth suggesting as well seeing as it's coming with a free CMS in the new framework

• One major problem with that is that many users disallow chat, shoutbox or something like that on their servers. It is simple and understandable because in general the ressource usage of such systems are very high compared to any other feature in a forum.

For me it doesn’t make sense to add something into the core, which is not usable by many many customers. Additionally, it is a huge effort to create such a software and thus would take a long development, which can be used by other things much better, which are more important than a chat.

• One major problem with that is that many users disallow chat, shoutbox or something like that on their servers. It is simple and understandable because in general the ressource usage of such systems are very high compared to any other feature in a forum.

Maybe why it best sold as an extra official add-on then. I wouldn't have suggested free included in core myself for the reasons you say. If sold, people will buy if knowing they can use it. Included in core and not able to use, well is pointless putting it there then.

But I can see a Shoutbox still selling better, even if not everyone can use it - than a Calendar add-on we have now. The top rated add-on with most LIKES listed in FileBase here is the Shoutbox, which shows how popular a demand there is for one. But that one even with all them ratings... is well, pretty much not being supported

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (20. März 2016 um 15:19)

• I'm thinking of something that is an official WoltLab product. I guess it wouldn't matter so much if it was a core feature as long as it was something maintained by WoltLab.

• Well, tims chat is very powerfull and i think it ist not the most important thing for many admins so it should stay a plugin

That chatroom isn't suitable really because it uses it's own chat page and can't be used positioned above the forums or on dashboard page. It's pretty much a stand alone chatroom - rather than being a basic shoutbox like other one that can be used in conjunction with the forum pages still. Why the other shoutbox is by far the more popular one for using.

I don't want to throw XenForo into the mix, but as an example. If you look at the two most poplar used shoutboxes with that. It's the same thing, they can both be used positioned top or bottom of forum pages

• Is it so important for you to use WoltLab only products? There are already some external plugins for that and one shoutbox from me is incoming soon here too.

As I can see WoltLab is only developing whole applications which can be used as standalone.

• As I can see WoltLab is only developing whole applications which can be used as standalone.

A chatroom (rather than shoutbox then) could also have it's own main page same as Blog, Gallery and Filebase (used as main chatroom full length page area) for using, whist still offering the option to display a mini shoutbox on Dashboard or Forum to use. Same way a Gallery slideshow can be displayed on Dasdhboard.

So it could be used same as stand-alone, but when integrated with forum the option is there to show mini shoutbox on some site pages.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (20. März 2016 um 15:52)

• I hate to repeat myself... but having Tim's Chat become an official WoltLab product (the beta 3 version with the number of people chatting in the menu tab) could bring those who refuse to leave the one company that offers a chatroom to WoltLab. Having no restriction on the amount of people who could use the chatroom for free would be a very good overall selling point for WoltLab. I'm using a shoutbox instead of a chatroom on one of my forums but I think an official chatroom would attract more people to WBB.

• Is it so important for you to use WoltLab only products? There are already some external plugins for that and one shoutbox from me is incoming soon here too.

People have more confidence in official products. This is the biggest selling point for the software company that already provides a chatroom. Besides the chatroom they offer a first party gallery, blog, "CMS", file system and store. That company has had a lot of problems recently with their latest major release but people stick with them because of their first party additions.

Part of the discussion on @GTB 's forum was about the developer of one shoutbox that is already available in the plugin store. The developer wont reply to comments made in English and this wouldn't be an issue if it was an official WoltLab product.

• There are already some external plugins for that and one shoutbox from me is incoming soon here too

3rd party plug-ins for things is not always the answer. No disrespect to 3rd party modders but I try and stay clear of using mods from them. I've run forums for over 15 years and have learned that you cannot depend on a 3rd party plug-in always being supported, not same way as an official add-on sold.

There is a demand for a shoutbox (chatroom) to be made as an official add-on. You only need look at other forums out there using them and the rating the two here have been given. It would be worthwhile WoltLab creating one for sale.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!