2.2 Language - Undone/Done > Unresolved/Resolved

• In my opinion pending sounds better than undone

Pending would be a better word than "undone," although it's commonly used for payments or revisions (in business).

Personally I'm leaning towards Solved as it is both common and as vague as possible.

Also "Solved" sounds better than "undone." But you should ask yourself (a good way to see if something flows or not is to hear yourself saying it out loud, and not just in your head) which one sounds better?:

"This thread has been solved"
    "This thread has been resolved"
    "This thread has been done"
    "This thread has been answered"
    "The thread is pending" (pending what? an answer?)

Now, which one of those above did sound better when you said it out loud?

• Even in woltlab forums they use "Resolved" for bugs and other general areas etc, the same could be used and said for help questions or general questions. Resolved is used here for forum names, shouldn't be frowned on for when threads are "Resolved" or "Unresolved". Attached is en.xml file to import into language area of ACP. Also fixes the "Administrative Permissions" and "Moderative Permissions" to proper usage "Administrator Permissions" and "Moderator Permissions".

Edit: Unless no one cares about the file right now, and want to wait for 4.2 in order to have which ever of these changes implemented. It's up to you. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now, which one of those above did sound better when you said it out loud?

I explicitly said that I personally prefer Solved as it has a contextual meaning. Answered is pretty specific as it refers to an initial question which isn't always the case, e.g. with bug reports. Sure thing, bug reports isn't the common use case, but not every thread is a simple "question => answer" thing. By using a more general term we could ensure that it is neither exactly wrong nor right, in fact it would be a trade-off to cover almost all use-cases.

• By using a more general term we could ensure that it is neither exactly wrong nor right, in fact it would be a trade-off to cover almost all use-cases.

And the term "resolved" seems to be a good fitting for that, in fact. If WBB wants to appeal to broader English-speaking audiences, its English translation should try to employ terms that are commonly used -- that is, words people expect to see in that context -- in order to provide a familiar and conducive environment. Using odd-sounding words, even if it doesn't seem a big deal at first, could be very distracting and backfire.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (13. März 2016 um 22:09)

• Not really, Google searches can return different results that you can interpret as you want, depending on what you typed.

According to this other search  Resolved  is also widely used:

Duplicate / Multiple Post Numbers In Thread - RESOLVED - xenforo.com

How to mark a thread as resolved - Minecraft central Forums

Mark Thread as resolved - SQL ServerCentral

Marking a thread as resolved - Techspot forums

[resolved] Please mark closed topics as Resolved - WordPress Support forum

• Solved sounds better and I'm English

I would never say - Hey that got resolved. I'd say that got solved. You might use the word resolved when two people argue and then make up, and you say they got things resolved

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (13. März 2016 um 22:23)

• I'm still not sure solved/unsolved is right one to use though.

Simply because you can have the topics marked as done automatically after a certain time passes. If that is marked as solved auto (then that is wrong). It was never actually solved as such, it was just marked as done auto and might not have been answered at all.

So think you need get away from the solved/resolved and think of something else? Because the topic might not have been answered solved/resolved if you use auto mark topic done after so long passes

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (13. März 2016 um 22:34)

• Solved sounds better and I'm English

I would never say - Hey that got resolved. I'd say that got solved. You might use the word resolved when two people argue and then make up, and you say they got things resolved

You are in England. I live and work in the US. "Resolved" is widely employed here as well, and not only when discussing conflict resolutions. At my job, in all the inter-agency communications via intranet and forum support tickets the terms  Resolved  and  Unresolved  are the preferred choices. The fact that in your country one word is more used than others doesn't make it an absolute, but you already know that. How does the saying go: US and UK, two countries divided by the same language? ;)

Solved means that a positive/effective solution to a problem was found, it's applicable, and didn't include disagreement. This is common in a support forum.
    Resolved is also used when parties disagree over a problem or the solution for it, but a solution is eventually found, which also very common in a support forum.

But in the end both "solved" and "resolved" are still far better choices than "done/undone."

• "solved" and "resolved"

They are both bad choices for the reason I said above due to auto marking topics feature as done. If a topic asking something gets no replies at all, and then it gets auto marked as "solved or resolved" after a time passes. How on earth has that been solved? ?(

Member on your forum will be saying to you who started the topic, why was my topic marked as solved when it's had no answers?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (13. März 2016 um 22:43)

• They are both bad choices for the reason I said above due to auto marking topics feature. If a topic asking something gets no replies and then it auto marked as solved or resolved after a time passes. How has that been solved? ?(

And according to you, just because a forum runs a cron-job that marks threads in specific ways, you shouldn't be using precise words such as "solved" and "resolved"?

Member on your forum will be saying to you who started the topic, why was my topic marked as solved when it's had no answers?

If a thread was never answered, solved, or resolved is not "done."

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (14. März 2016 um 03:24)

• No, "done" is wrong word also.

Marked Open
    Marked Closed

At least using something like Open and Closed doesn't indicate anything was solved, which suits auto closing them as well, if not answered when closed

• You need to stop thinking that a word must necessarily be translated from your own language in order to make sense in another. This is a common mistake that all those who speak English as a second language do, including me. For instance, if I were to translate that same word from my own language I would want to use "undone," but I know that to be wrong and odd sounding in English.

On the other side englisch and german tanslation should mean the same. If a topic has this green hook this doesn't mean, that there's a approbriate answer or even a answer ever, because it can be set after some time automatically. It simply means you don't have to answer anymore. But solved seems to be a really good translation for me.

• About UK Vs USA only one note...

Code
    <language xmlns="http://www.woltlab.com" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.woltlab.com http://www.woltlab.com/XSD/maelstrom/language.xsd" languagecode="en" languagename="English" countrycode="gb">

countrycode="gb"

About Mark Open/Close I think is not a good solution. Can create confusions with the original open/close options.

• If a topic has this green hook this doesn't mean, that there's a approbriate answer or even a answer ever, because it can be set after some time automatically. It simply means you don't have to answer anymore

As I mentioned earlier, words in English may carry several meanings, with some that are more used and common than others. "Done" can be used as adverb to express when you are through (had enough) with something. As adjective and noun, "done" is used when a task has been performed or carried out, settled, completed. A thread that was never solved, resolved, or answered is hardly completed or settled.

But solved seems to be a really good translation for me.

I agree with this.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (14. März 2016 um 03:25)

• I'm still going to stick with Resolved/Unresolved or Solved/Unsolved as last option. Opened/Closed or Open/Closed won't work, because moderators or administrators close threads or open them. It would clash with the general marking of thread by users.

Open/Close would work if having support tickets or what-not, but not in general forum where forums are either opened/closed by staff members. Answered/Unanswered doesn't really fit here either, and again might be better in support ticket system. The only other one I could think of is maybe "Handled/Unhandled" but get grammar spell check line under "Unhandled" word.

But that kind of don't sound right either. Unless someone can really research online, we're limited to good options. Let's not forget, even if a cronjob auto marks something resolved or whatever, doesn't mean it doesn't sound good just because cronjob does it automatically. The users can always come back and mark it as "unresolved" or whatever, and add more to thread.

• The users can always come back and mark it as "unresolved" or whatever, and add more to thread.

I didn't know that when a topic is auto closed as done, the thread starter can reopen it again as undone if they wish.

In that case then Solved/Unsolved can work then. As they can just reopen anything auto closed as Solved if not answered.

• I didn't know that when a topic is auto closed as done, the thread starter can reopen it again as undone

Yeah, like in screenshots I posted on other page there. Can edit first post, and Mark as Unresolved or whatever.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!