Language - 'wcf.acp.updateServer.packages'

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Core
    Diff
    - <item name="wcf.acp.updateServer.packages"><![CDATA[Package]]></item>
    + <item name="wcf.acp.updateServer.packages"><![CDATA[Packages]]></item>

• Actually, the singular form of "Package" used in a context/drop-down/label menu is correct and not a mistake.

Package is a countable noun and by definition it is composed of individual parts (i.e. a package can often contain several items). For instance, "All ingredients are listed right on the package," or "He ate the whole package of crackers for lunch," or even "a software package [=a group of computer programs that are sold together]."

The menu in examination -- and here I am referring to the noun visible on the front end -- describes the "Package List" or "Package Servers," which contain various items - the servers links.

Therefore, the menu Package in this language variable is already correct and follows proper English grammar rules as it is, and does not need to be corrected.

Maybe the variable could be changed into: "wcf.acp.updatePackage.Servers" which would flow better grammatically, although I believe that as it is, it must be following coding conventions that I'm not familiar with, because I am not a coder.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (6. März 2016 um 06:10)

• This column is counting packages (in plural, more than one package).

Example:

http://update.woltlab.com/maelstrom/ (14 packages)

• And again, a Package contains several items. It doesn't matter what is coded in the back end, the noun "Package" shown in UI describes a list (one list) of servers -- a package-- and in its singular form is perfectly correct and proper.

The list is not the package, the packages are listed into the list. This column is counting the packages into the list. How many packages are on this server? 14 packages.

I am Spanish and my mind thinks with the rules of the Spanish language. I am sure that in Spanish is wrong to use the singular. I'm probably wrong. (My english level is also a handicap to explain my ideas sometimes. Sorry)

don't forget "address" > "addresses" .. there's more than one address listed. :) ;)

The case is similar to user groups list (name in singular, members in plural).

• The case is similar to user groups list

It's actually "group list" = a list of groups, not "groups list," which is incorrect.

The list is not the package, the packages are listed into the list. This column is counting the packages into the list. How many packages are on this server? 14 packages.

A list of packages in proper English is a Package List. A list of members is a member list, notice the recurring singular form for countable nouns such as "group" and "member." A Package is often used in its singular form because it contains or lists various items. In our example, The Package menu on the ACP displays the "package" update available in each server. The cases when when Package is used in its plural form "packages" is when it is followed by general attributives, for example something that comes "in packages," and not "packages of" something, as you insist.

Package is a countable noun that describes various items designating or relating to a set of terms, products, etc., which are offered or agreed as a whole, such a updates. One package can contain several software updates.

Once again, in this instance, the menu reading the word Package is correct and not a mistake.

It is possible to use the plural form in open or hyphenated compound nouns, but a quantity must be specified and should precede the compound word:

five women-doctors
    ten tennis shoes
    etc.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (6. März 2016 um 07:41)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!