Paste-in images

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

I know this has been discussed before (I can't find the thead) but please please please can I put in a request for paste-in images to be supported?

We know it's possible (gmail, snag.gy, etc) and I understand that there may be a lack of standards or other obstacles but I wanted to re-emphasise how utterly fantastic this would be as a feature.

The editor captures the key combination, creates a file name, dumps the clipboard contents to the file, attaches the file like any other.

Sounds simple! :) Or perhaps there is a lot more to it than that?

Thank you for your consideration, and once again thank you for creating the best forum system out there... 8)

• Actually it shouldn't be that difficult to implement. XenForo (which uses Redactor editor also) already has that feature. I was honestly surprised when I found that this script didn't.

• If people like xenforo and it's features so much, go back to it, can't make burning board into BurnForo... Lol

Some of us run multiple scripts. I run XenForo, Burning Board, IPS and myBB. If one can't look at the strengths of others and see how they benefit, then one is is very close minded.

• I can assure you that it has been disabled for a reason.

Well, hopefully they will resolve that "reason".... as it works well on other sites/scripts that use redactor. Even IPS's "pasting" process is better than having to click on the attachments, then upload the images that way.

• XenForo have heavily customized Redactor to work with it, hence they can't just upgrade the editor in XenForo now to use latest version of it and why they are stuck using a very old version of Redactor editor in XenForo still. There have been a few fixes made in newer versions of Redactor to suit the new Edge browser that XenForo have not been able to capitalise on with them still using an old version of it.

Maybe they can add the fixes manually, but that is the problem though. They keep patching up an old version of Redactor used with XenForo because they have it so heavily customised they can't upgrade it that simple

• Maybe they can add the fixes manually, but that is the problem though. They keep patching up an old version of Redactor used with XenForo because they have it so heavily customised they can't upgrade it that simple

Actually there is more to it than that.. the newer versions of redactor only support IE 9 and up (since at least 2013).... and they made a conscious decision to support the older IE for at least through the 1.x line.
    As for supporting Edge browser - I'm dealing with a LOT of sites that don't support it (read, it blows chunks when you try to access them <X )

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a standard feature of Redactor. However, it has been disabled/removed.

Actually this isn't true as paste support for images in Redactor had been disabled and partly removed by the developers. I have since opted to not provide an own implementation because there are a huge amount of pitfalls and cross-browser inconsistencies that made it almost impossible to provide a sane implementation. Actually we initially had support for this feature included but browser support was pretty much limited to Firefox and even there didn't always work as expected.

Luckily in the near past, browsers have adopted a common specification on providing clipboard data which leaded to the re-introduced "paste from clipboard"-feature in Redactor II which will be used with Burning Board 4.2. Unfortunately this is an entirely new version which is not compatible with the API of "Old Redactor" (as called by them), hence we cannot upgrade the editor for 4.1 unless we want to break compatibility with pretty much everything that relies on the editor.

• You need to be supporting Edge browser now because that is the default browser that comes with latest Windows today and like it or not. Your average Joe novice internet user won't be installing FireFox or Chrome and sticking with using Edge browser.

Actually there is more to it than that.. the newer versions of redactor only support IE 9 and up (since at least 2013).... and they made a conscious decision to support the older IE for at least through the 1.x line.

Yes, I'm aware that the old version of Redactor XenForo uses still supports some older IE versions, I'm also aware that the developers have posted they can't just upgrade Redactor used in XenForo that easy because it's been so heavily customized to work with everything in it. They have pointed out also that they might not be using latest version of Redactor in XenForo 2 when it comes.

I don't buy that they don't want to upgrade Redactor to a newer version because it'll mean dropping support for older IE browser, I think it's just too much hassle for them doing it until XenForo 2 comes. Also, if I'm right, the only Windows version that uses lesser than IE9 is Windows XP. Nobody should be sticking on Windows XP now and be at least using Windows 7 that comes with IE9 I think, then uses IE11 when you upgrade it.

6 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (2. Februar 2016 um 11:41)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In their demo, it's still included.

The demo runs with Redactor II, not "Old Redactor" which is used in 4.1.

Frankly they have removed the changelog for this version from their website, but it is still archived: http://web.archive.org/web/2015091915…m/redactor/log/

Zitat

Version 10.0.1

[…]

[DEPRECATED] Clipboard image uploads (clipboardImageUpload setting). This feature will be improved and re-introduced as soon as browsers and OS manufacturers unify the way they handle files in clipboard.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!