Question on Text Spacing when making a NEW post

• He's referring to Firefox browser and click F12 opens console within browser itself to do this stuff he's asking. :)

Yes, I realize Alexander Ebert is referring to the Browser I use (which is Firefox).
    But what was stated in the instructions from Alexander Ebert is:

AFTER clicking on F12 I am supposed to locate the tab labelled Console; then paste the following line into the input field ....

HOWEVER, WHERE is there such a TAB LABELLED CONSOLE???
    I was not able to locate the "tab" mentioned.
    Perhaps this "tab" is also called something else on the computer I use???

• Yes, I realize Alexander Ebert is referring to the Browser I use (which is Firefox).But what I stated in my reply above is:
    AFTER clicking on F12 I am supposed to locate the tab labelled Console; then paste the following line into the input field.

HOWEVER, WHERE is there such a TAB LABELLED CONSOLE???
    I was not able to locate the "tab" mentioned.

For me it's tab right after "Inspector" on left side, second tab from left and top of the console panel. Or, click "sandwich" menu top right of Firefox browser beside "Start Conversation" smiley bubble icon, choose "Developer" wrench icon there.. and third down is "Web Console" = Ctrl+ Shift + K

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (9. Februar 2016 um 04:05)

• Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce this, even though I have an idea what causes it. My problem is that I have to forcefully insert random formatting hoping for hitting the erroneous part, unfortunately this will usually never result in the exakt same scenario as if this would be a real message.

At this point I kindly ask for you help to trace down this issue:

The next time you write a sufficiently formatted message, before you submit your message press F12 which fires up the developer tools of your browser. In the tab labelled Console paste the following line into the input field:

JavaScript
    (function() { var t = $('<textarea />').html($('#text').prev()[0].innerHTML); $('<div />').appendTo(document.body).append(t).wcfDialog({ title: 'debug' }); })();

It will open up a popup in the forums that contains the raw HTML as currently contained in the editor. Copy the contents of the textarea (that might be a lot of code, but that's good)!

Now submit the message, if something looks messed up, go ahead and paste it on https://gist.github.com/ (ensures that the code will be left intact, use the button Create Secret and copy the URL afterwards). This code enables me to 100% exactly reproduce what you're experiencing and I can ultimately resolve this.

OK, I did everything you told me to do. I copied the Code that appeared AFTER clicking on "summit";
    and I will now click on the LINK (above) that you gave me.

OK, I clicked on the LINK you gave me, filled in the Description Box and the File Name Box, and copied the URL after clicking on "summit".

I have not included the LINK here as this is just supposed to be only for YOUR viewing, correct?
    If you are not able to VIEW the FILE where I PASTED the information (Code), please let me know so that I can give you the
    URL to that File.

Dave

• For me it's tab right after "Inspector" on left side, second tab from left and top of the console panel. Or, click "sandwich" menu top right of Firefox browser beside "Start Conversation" smiley bubble icon, choose "Developer" wrench icon there.. and third down is "Web Console" = Ctrl+ Shift + K

Thank you, Smooey, for your guide as to locating the console area Alexander Ebert wanted me to access.

• @Ruff Seas Feel free to send me the URL by email to ebert@woltlab.com :)

Thanks;
    OK, I sent you the URL

Dave

P.S. I also sent you the URL to the area of my Forum (in case you want to view it "first hand") whereby I made the post - which pertains to this current issue.

Hey Devil - Get behind me and don't push, shove, or kick! ^^

My Forum: https://totally-blazon.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ruff Seas (9. Februar 2016 um 18:23) aus folgendem Grund: Added informaton

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have actually just copied some part of the console, which is not what I had in mind. When you open the Console and paste in the code I provided in my post and hit return, it will open a dialog overlay right in the forums. The contents of the marked area is relevant as it represents the HTML that is currently in the editor.

I have attached a screenshot which pretty much shows the browser, the console and the resulting dialog side-by-side.

• You have actually just copied some part of the console, which is not what I had in mind. When you open the Console and paste in the code I provided in my post and hit return, it will open a dialog overlay right in the forums. The contents of the marked area is relevant as it represents the HTML that is currently in the editor.

I have attached a screenshot which pretty much shows the browser, the console and the resulting dialog side-by-side.

OK, I finally was able to make visual the "dialog overlay" in the forum.
    I copied the data in the Debug Box, and created a new File Case - of which I will send you the URL to it right after I "summit" this.

I also clicked on "summit" for the Post I re-made about the German Train accident - and I did NOT re-edit it.
    Normally I would have, but you may want to see it first.

Dave

P.S. I just emailed you a few minutes ago the URL to the latest File Case established for this issue.
    I hope this will be the information you need.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Ruff Seas I got it, thanks. I've tried to reproduce your issue, but everything looks perfect to me, at least considering that both the thread in your forum and the contents in the editor look the same. To make things clear, did you paste this content from some other site or a word processor (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, etc.)?

• @Ruff Seas I got it, thanks. I've tried to reproduce your issue, but everything looks perfect to me, at least considering that both the thread in your forum and the contents in the editor look the same. To make things clear, did you paste this content from some other site or a word processor (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, etc.)?

To make things clear, did you paste this content from some other site or a word processor (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, etc.)?

Yes, the content of the news media article of which I started the Thread (i.e., Germany: Train Crash) came from an original article by the Associated Press and was taken (copied) from that source on the internet. The "copy" thus was processed by using Microsoft Word on my computer and stored as a Microsoft Word file.

However, when I pasted the article into the post made on my Forum, BEFORE clicking on "submit", I changed (edited) the material; meaning
    that I separated sentences and paragraphs and made some font size changes as well. (These news articles always appear as one long and continuing stream of sentences and paragraphs - which makes it extremely difficult to read when the article is of great length)

I should also point out that, when I originally submitted this Thread - (NOT the one I sent you the "debug" info from) - I also had included
    (at the top or beginning of the article) a couple of paragraphs of my own text - which was typed in when logged onto my Forum -
    NOT pasted in from any source such as Microsoft Word.

When I do this, the information that I type in directly to the post made on my forum, that text ALSO comes out differently AFTER I click on "submit". In other words, the annoying sentence structure changes and spaces between lines of text is NOT just happening from COPIED
    material. It ALSO occurs when I directly type in material to the post (Thread); the biggest annoying factor being SPLIT sentencing.
    I then go back and re-edit the material - sometimes it takes three or more times to get it to APPEAR correctly, e.g, proper line spacing
    AND with NO sentence split-offs (e.g., before a sentence is completed on the SAME line, it splits off and goes to a new line of text with that new line starting at the LEFT side margin of the forum page).

Dave

P.S. I might also add that, when I make such posts - as with THIS ONE here on Community Forum - I sometimes experience the SAME problems that I described above. AFTER I click on "submit" down below, I am going to take a look at this to see if this came out as I typed it, OR, if it changed from what I typed here. IF IT CHANGES IN ANY WAY, I will come back with a "reply".

• @Ruff Seas I got it, thanks. I've tried to reproduce your issue, but everything looks perfect to me, at least considering that both the thread in your forum and the contents in the editor look the same. To make things clear, did you paste this content from some other site or a word processor (Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, etc.)?

TO:
    Alexander Ebert,

With regard to my Post #30 above, and continuing with trying to get this problem resolved, it was suggested to me by my Hosting Provider
    that I try using a DIFFERENT browser (I normally use Firefox).

So I made another post using Microsoft Edge.
    The very same conditions occurred using that Browser vs. using Firefox Browser. E.g., I still get the sentence "split offs"; and text spacing
    which goes to THREE lines of spacing compared to my original (before clicking on "submit") one line spacing I make between New Paragraphs.

The only other suggestion that was made to me was I should try using a DIFFERENT computer. I plan to do this soon.

Dave

• Do you see any correlation between this behavior and certain formatting? Like does it mostly happen when changing the font size or color?

The problem occurs with OR without using different colored font.
    I have also noticed the problem occurring BOTH with different font sizes used within the same post; and with using the SAME font size throughout the same post.

I have attached the latest screen snap shot of a test post I made just a few minutes ago.
    This is TEXT ONLY from me - that is, text that I typed in while logged onto the forum. There was NO copying from files, or Microsoft Office
    Word processing used.

With this "test" post I was on a DIFFERENT COMPUTER and the operating system was also different, and the Firefox Browser version was different as well.

The ONLY thing that remained constant was the INTERNET CONNECTION was with the SAME company.

NOTE: In case the text of THIS post gets altered from what I see here as I type this in - compared to what it appears as AFTER I click on "submit" - ABOVE this paragraph there are 4 paragraphs, NO extra line spacing was used between sentences, and ONE extra line spacing
    was used between paragraphs, e.g. total of TWO spaces. THIS post is being made from MY computer - which is different from
    the computer I was on when I made the test post (as viewed in the screen shot).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your attachment is actually quite interesting, it looks like the break happens when the line visually breaks within the editor. I suspect you aren't manually inserting a line break (hitting "return") when reaching the end of a line?

Also, may I ask you to try Chrome instead, just to make sure this is a general issue and not caused by certain browsers? This would greatly help me pin down the source of this.

• Your attachment is actually quite interesting, it looks like the break happens when the line visually breaks within the editor. I suspect you aren't manually inserting a line break (hitting "return") when reaching the end of a line?

Also, may I ask you to try Chrome instead, just to make sure this is a general issue and not caused by certain browsers? This would greatly help me pin down the source of this.

I have included (below) three screen shots.
    The first screen shot shows the "test" post I made using another computer with a different OS (Windows 7) - My computer OS is Windows 10.
    I did NOT hit "return" - I let the sentence change to the next line on its own.

The second screen shot is using Chrome, and was done on my computer; and I described what I did (and where) with regards to text font, color, and spacing.

The third screen shot is using Firefox 44.0.x, and is on my computer. I did the same as shown by the second screen shot.

NOTE: When I hit "return" (at the word so specified in each of two examples - 2nd and 3rd screen shots) what I saw was the text had moved to the SECOND LINE. However, when I click on "submit", visually I see the text as being of THREE lines. (refer to screen shots).

When posting here on Community forum with regard to this current issue, I don't see text splitting; nor is there line spacing OTHER THAN what I originally typed it out to be.

But when I am posting to a thread on my forum, I almost always get the "text splitting" and line spacing that is MORE than what I intended.
    The exception is when there is only one, short sentence, followed by another short sentence - of which I hit "return" after the first sentence.

In the case of COPYING text - as from Microsoft Word - sometimes that spacing is three or more lines when it should have been only 1.
    When that happens, I have to Click on EDIT, and decrease the spacing of text between lines. Sometimes I have to repeat this process several times in order to achieve what I want.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!