Question on Text Spacing when making a NEW post

• Hopefully someone can explain this to me:

Whenever I start a NEW Thread, OR make a New Post in a Thread already created, OR even ADD comments to a CURRENT POST, the SPACING between sentences AND and paragraph
    structure (position of one sentence OR paragraph in relation to another sentence OR paragraph) appears differently AFTER I click on "submit" than when I am actually saw it in the mode of when I was creating (typing in text) for the Post.

Thus, I find it necessary to go back into that particular post and re-align the sentences and paragraphs - as to spacing (of each sentence or paragraph), etc., etc.
    I do of course end up with what I want the TEXT to look like (as to position, spacing, etc.) after clicking on "submit"; but sometimes I have to go in and re-arrange the sentences and paragraphs of the text several times.

I would like to know WHY this happens. AND, is it happening to my Members? OR, has anyone else ere on Woltlab Forum experienced what I have described above?
    [I have not had any comments or complaints regarding this occurrence from my Members.]

Dave

• Yes. It mostly happens when I paste something from Notepad.

I took a couple of screen snapshots of a post I made today in order to show exactly what I mean by sentence structure changing from WHEN
    I first type it in, and AFTER I click on "submit".
    See those screen shots below:

So why do you think this situation occurs?
    And .... it gets MUCH WORSE if the text I type in is very long (of many sentences and paragraphs).

Also .... whenever I copy text from say a News Media Article (from online) and upload it to the Thread I am making, the sentences are all
    together. In order to make it easier to read for the viewer (member/guest) I go through the article and separate into roper paragraphs.
    It looks good ...... until I click on "submit"!
    AFTER I click on "submit" button, the "finished page (post) appears, HOWEVER the paragraphs have separations between them of about
    3 spaces each; whereas originally I had just a regular, one line spacing between each paragraph.

Is the only way to get around the problem described above to use html instead of the usual "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" editor???

Anyone care to comment on this???
    Thanks,

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also .... whenever I copy text from say a News Media Article (from online) and upload it to the Thread I am making, the sentences are all
    together. In order to make it easier to read for the viewer (member/guest) I go through the article and separate into roper paragraphs.
    It looks good ...... until I click on "submit"!

The editor is more tolerant towards garbage contained in pasted HTML from websites, it would be helpful to know which websites you usually use and what browser (including the version). This makes it fairly easy to trace down the offending content in order to sanitize it.

• The editor is more tolerant towards garbage contained in pasted HTML from websites, it would be helpful to know which websites you usually use and what browser (including the version). This makes it fairly easy to trace down the offending content in order to sanitize it.

First:
    As for the websites I copy info from occasionally they are from major news media (online news) like "The Hill"; "Huffington Post";
    "Associated Press", etc., etc. However, I am not copying text that is in html code - only actual printed data (text) from a news release
    which can be read/viewed just like one reads text in an email (if that makes sense - hope I am explaining this correctly).

Second:
    The Browser I use is Firefox (Mozilla) 43.x

Third:
    The problem I have with the text (as explained in my previous post here) is text which I type out in a new thread I create while logged
    into my forum and I am directly typing out the text into the Thread I am creating - (typing from my computer keyboard).
    In other words, I am not using text that has been copied and then stored in a file on my computer, then copied, then pasted into a
    Thread - (except I have done just that regarding news media releases I mentioned).

Fourth:
    Maybe the best way to try and explain what is happening is to show it right now, here, by typing out an example right here, and I will
    then click on "submit", and I will leave it alone (NOT edit this) regardless of how it turns out.

Fifth:
    And here is what this page looks like to me now as I type it out:
    I have left about about a 1/2 inch margin (OR more) on the RIGHT side of this page for EVERY sentence I have typed here.
    In other words, I am typing THIS as I would be typing something in a New Thread I would create on my Forum.
    Under the Quote Box above, I started with the word "First:" with NO spacing between the word and the boxed in area of the quote.
    I have put in ONE space between EACH Paragraph (of which there are 5 here) - including THIS paragraph.
    Then this paragraph followed by my name, using one line of spacing between this sentence and my name. If this changes after I click
    on "submit", then that is what I have been referring to.

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not copying text that is in html code - only actual printed data (text)

Actually when you mark text on a website, the browser will implicitly store the underlying HTML in the clipboard. Depending where you paste it it will either be inserted as plain text (e.g. in Notepad) or as HTML-formatted text (e.g. in the editor).

If this changes after I click
    on "submit", then that is what I have been referring to.

Looks like everything looks fine according to your description?

• I just looked at the ABOVE post to THIS one.
    I don't see any changes - it appears to have come out (in the "finished product) just like I typed it in and wanted it to look.

However, OFTEN that is NOT how it works when I am typing in something in my forum from my computer while logged onto my forum.

The only TWO things I didn't include (in the above) which I normally do when I on my Forum, is using:
    DIFFERENT COLORS in various sections (sentences), and ....
    DIFFERENT FONT SIZES in various locations (sentences, paragraphs).

Like this for example.
    This is what I might do while on my forum:
    The sky is very bright today and there is no smog.

The Admin

• Actually when you mark text on a website, the browser will implicitly store the underlying HTML in the clipboard. Depending where you paste it it will either be inserted as plain text (e.g. in Notepad) or as HTML-formatted text (e.g. in the editor).

Looks like everything looks fine according to your description?

You were leaving an answer to my post as I was typing ....
    Yes, it looks like it came out exactly as I typed it in.

QUESTION:
    So WHY am I getting a result here on Woltlab Community Forum which is DIFFERENT to what I get on MY Forum???
    I am really confused as to why this is happening.

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

So WHY am I getting a result here on Woltlab Community Forum which is DIFFERENT to what I get on MY Forum???
    I am really confused as to why this is happening.

If I should make a guess, it might have to do with the color and font size galore (*) as these things get messed up by browsers rather quickly.

(*) Side note: You might want to consider using less colors and font sizes, it makes messages harder to read and especially in between lines it can make it difficult to properly follow line-wraps.

• If I should make a guess, it might have to do with the color and font size galore (*) as these things get messed up by browsers rather quickly.
    (*) Side note: You might want to consider using less colors and font sizes, it makes messages harder to read and especially in between lines it can make it difficult to properly follow line-wraps.

oh shucks ..... i have 2 give up COLORS.
    and different size font marks an "emphasis" on certain points i am trying 2 make in a post!

I did notice however, that even on THIS forum (Woltlab) things are not perfect .... i refer to my comments in post #1 of this thread.
    to witt .... 2nd sentence, the word "paragraph", and 3rd sentence, word "structure" - these two words were ORIGINALLY on the
    same line .... until of course when i clicked on "submit"; after which they became to appear as to what is NOW shown there.

Oh well, nothing is perfect on this planet!
    But i am sticking with Woltlab no matter what ....
    i went through several Forum Software's before getting to know about Woltlab .... and all i can say is,
    i will NOT go back to those "other guys"!

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't meant to say that you should ditch colors and sizes all together, it was more like a general thing that having varying font faces has a negative impact on readability.

On topic, it is quite challenging to cover all cases; Unfortunately it is completely random how browsers behave when adding colors and stuff, simply because there is no exact specification for that. It would be interesting to know if you recognize a pattern, e.g. it will most likely fail when doing A, B and C, which in return allow me to reproduce errors and fix them.
    You can even play around with the editor itself without needing to submit a post, the most left icon (the hollow square thingy) will switch to bbcode mode which is implicitly done before submitting data to the server. Click on that button again to switch back to WYSIWYG. Stupid bbcodes.

• I didn't meant to say that you should ditch colors and sizes all together, it was more like a general thing that having varying font faces has a negative impact on readability.

On topic, it is quite challenging to cover all cases; Unfortunately it is completely random how browsers behave when adding colors and stuff, simply because there is no exact specification for that. It would be interesting to know if you recognize a pattern, e.g. it will most likely fail when doing A, B and C, which in return allow me to reproduce errors and fix them.
    You can even play around with the editor itself without needing to submit a post, the most left icon (the hollow square thingy) will switch to bbcode mode which is implicitly done before submitting data to the server. Click on that button again to switch back to WYSIWYG. Stupid bbcodes.

Thanks for your reply!

I will try to keep in mind what you said above when the next time I make a new Thread or Post. Especially regarding what you said about
    the bb code.

The only thing I can comment on - that I just remembered - is this:

IF I allow for sufficient right side margin spacing from the last word to the edge of the screen (like right here for example)
    and then continue on with the sentence at the next line of spacing - e.g., rather than running the text all the way to the right edge and letting the system move itself to the next line (like I just did with the line above this one) - I seem to have LESS problems with the words
    getting split off and sent down to the next level (next line of text).

Dave

• I didn't meant to say that you should ditch colors and sizes all together, it was more like a general thing that having varying font faces has a negative impact on readability.

Hello Alexander,

One last comment I will make (with snap shot below) on this particular issue we have been discussing.

The ONLY thing I can see which may have caused the text line "split" (to the next level) is, you will notice the word "Thread" is in BOLD,
    and the next word in that sentence is of regular font.

Perhaps writing out text that has "differences" within the SAME sentence OR paragraph is not "liked" by the forum Woltlab Software APP,
    or, my Browser (Firefox) doesn't like it.

Either way, I think I have just abut come to the conclusion I am going to have to "live with it"!
    Unless YOU have some additional information that may be of help regarding this issue, I think it best to put this "baby to rest".

Dave

• Offizieller Beitrag

Either way, I think I have just abut come to the conclusion I am going to have to "live with it"!

Not really, especially since you provide me with a proper explanation what steps you've taken. This allows me to (hopefully) reproduce things which in return is required to trace down bugs.

• Not really, especially since you provide me with a proper explanation what steps you've taken. This allows me to (hopefully) reproduce things which in return is required to trace down bugs.

Have you been able to come to any conclusions regarding this issue?

In making posts on Woltlab Community Forum (AND on my forum) I've noticed the two situations that seem to occur frequently (but NOT always) are "text / sentence splitting" and "spacing between paragraphs" being MORE than what I originally typed out the text as.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce this, even though I have an idea what causes it. My problem is that I have to forcefully insert random formatting hoping for hitting the erroneous part, unfortunately this will usually never result in the exakt same scenario as if this would be a real message.

At this point I kindly ask for you help to trace down this issue:

The next time you write a sufficiently formatted message, before you submit your message press F12 which fires up the developer tools of your browser. In the tab labelled Console paste the following line into the input field:

JavaScript
    (function() { var t = $('<textarea />').html($('#text').prev()[0].innerHTML); $('<div />').appendTo(document.body).append(t).wcfDialog({ title: 'debug' }); })();

It will open up a popup in the forums that contains the raw HTML as currently contained in the editor. Copy the contents of the textarea (that might be a lot of code, but that's good)!

Now submit the message, if something looks messed up, go ahead and paste it on https://gist.github.com/ (ensures that the code will be left intact, use the button Create Secret and copy the URL afterwards). This code enables me to 100% exactly reproduce what you're experiencing and I can ultimately resolve this.

• The next time you write a sufficiently formatted message, before you submit your message press F12 which fires up the developer tools of your browser. In the tab labelled Console paste the following line into the input field:

I was unable to get beyond the point in your instructions whereby you stated:

"In the tab labelled Console paste the following line into the input field":

I did not see anything related to this wording. WHERE is "console" supposed to be located??

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!