How to deny permissions to certain members?

• Can you maybe elaborate what you want to restrict to certain members? Understanding permissions in WCF is crucial. You got the group "everybody" and the group "users" which every (registered) user is member of. If any of those groups has access the questionable member will also be able to. So it might be necessary that neither "everybody" nor "registered users" has access but there are two separate groups one that has access one that has not.

But first please let us know your scenario so we can find a solution.
    By the way in the next WCF version it will be easier to deny something to a certain group.

• If you want to do that right now you would have to:

• Modify the groups "Everybody" and "Registered Users" so that every new thread / post needs moderation first
    • Then you would have to create a new group like "Approved Members" which do not need moderation for their threads / posts
    • Then you can either manually assign members to that group, make it a group you can apply for, or setup a automatic rule (like after posting 10 threads / posts) that moves them to this group
  • I have one member who I know is just on my forum to cause trouble, rather than ban him outright I would like to make it so all of his post need to be approved before they appear in any thread. Is there no way to do this without it effecting everyone else?

• I got this figured out thanks to @Aslan . You can set up a new user group and restrict them form making new posts or new threads without approval by changing the forum permissions after the new group was created.

• It's not sorted. The same users that are being moderated in the forums can post without any moderation in the blogs.

This is incredibly frustrating, there should be a very simple way of limiting what certain people in the "User" group can do.

• Modify the groups "Everybody" and "Registered Users" so that every new thread / post needs moderation first

You don't really need do that because forum permissions allows you to deny that one. You can just leave default USERS group as Yes for threads/posts don't need approval and with a custom group added that inherits Yes for it from USERS group - then instead deny both by adding that group to every forum and deny them that way instead.

At least then you can still leave default USERS group people go into after joining forum being able to make threads/post replies without needing be approved - and move users you want moderated on threads/posts into that custom group at any point.

Some user group permissions like that, even though they get inherited as Yes (and cannot be overridden with a No) at user group level. Still can be using forum permissions if covered by it. You can see below that even adding TAGS inherited as Yes could be denied as No for a custom group at forum permissions (because it covers it).

8 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (23. November 2015 um 00:41)

• It's not sorted. The same users that are being moderated in the forums can post without any moderation in the blogs.

It works same as I said above. Under Blog section for USERS group if ticked Yes to start blog posts. Then any custom groups will inherit that YES than cannot be overridden with a No on custom groups at user-group level. Instead you add a group/user to the blog categories you create - the "group permissions" for each one and deny some things that way for groups.

Obviously your permission options will be different from what you see below for FileBase to deny groups on certain things, on a per category bases that you add.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (23. November 2015 um 01:17)

• You seem to be getting confused into thnking that having a group needing posts approval on forums works also for blog.

No. I was thinking that if I added a member to a new user group I could set permissions for them that wouldn't be overridden by the default "User" group permissions, it's the way that it should work except WoltLab's permissions are too convoluted to allow this. I wasted an entire day on something that should have been very easy to figure out.

• I agree, but the problem is that. If the default USERS group is ticked YES for something, then that overrides a NO for any custom groups added afterwards that inherit permissions from it (but a NO for USERS group can be over-ridden with a YES on custom groups). Really, I don't understand why ticking NO for a custom group added doesn't work and still remains a YES carried over from USERS group. It should work both ways and would make life far more easy.

Because if forum permissions don't cover that same setting in usergroup permissions. Then there is no way to do a deny on it using forum permissions - you need then go back into usergroup permissions and set USERS group to NO so custom groups can override the No with a YES or stay same as No

But you can add either Groups or just a USER to forum and blog category permissions system

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (23. November 2015 um 01:36)

• I agree, but the problem is that. If the default USERS group is ticked YES for something, then that overrides a NO for any custom groups added afterwards that inherit permissions from it (but a NO for USERS group can be over-ridden with a YES on custom groups). Really, I don't understand why ticking NO for a custom group added doesn't work and still remains a YES carried over from USERS group. It should work both ways and would make life far more easy.

The default user group wasn't ticked for one permission that the user was somehow able to bypass. You shouldn't have to create 2 new user groups and then need to search all over your ACP looking for different permissions just to deny permissions to certain members. I don't know that I would have purchased my WoltLab license if I had known that this is such a PIA, it isn't with other forum scripts.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von LogixX (23. November 2015 um 01:41)

• It's not easy working with it, but sounds to me like you're just not getting your head around it all. It took me a while and what you want to do can be done. And why you have nothing ticked in USERS group is wrong. You should have things ticked in it that you want that group allowed to do.

I have a LIMITED custom group added on my forum and if a user is moved in it then all their threads/posts are moderated. They can't report posts, add tags, use likes, use shoutbox, use FileBase. So it can be done because I've done it with a custom group added

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!