How to upload images?

• I purchased and installed the gallery yesterday and I'm having a problem uploading images and accessing any category.

If I go to "Gallery" in my menu and click on either "Upload Images" or a category I get an error message that says "The link you are trying to reach is no longer available or invalid.". I'm logged in as an administrator when this happens and the user permission for admins is set to allow image uploads, what setting am I missing?

EDIT: I didn't have a .htaccess file in my Gallery folder, everything is sorted now.

Edited once, last by LogixX ().

• Hey Paul, you using WBB now. 8o

Thought you'd jacked in running forums

WoltLab seems to be the best option available now.

And, I told you that I would eventually become interested in running a forum again so here I am.

• Just thinking, what version of the Gallery are you running because 2.1 I'm talking about is still in RC version yet and not final release for buying. So if you bought the Gallery very recently then it won't cover you to use 2.1 and you'll need to buy an upgrade to use it. What you running 2.0.x or 2.1 RC version?

As I'm talking about 2.1 version here, never used or tested 2.0 final release.

• Fine, you're using 2.0.x version of Gallery - same way I'm using 2.0.x version of FileBase and not 2.1.

You should install 2.1 version of Gallery just to have a look at differences between both, you can auto add watermark to images in 2.1 (also using member name variable) to show each members name as copyright watermark - and has more features that betters suits using that version with WBB 4.1 (tighter integration with some other forum features). You can do things like display notices on Gallery page with 2.1 (same way forum allows notices to be displayed) and more...

They can downloaded here:
    Calendar 2.1 RC 1, Gallery 2.1 RC 1 and Filebase 2.1 RC 1 Download

• Fine, you're using 2.0.x version of Gallery - same way I'm using 2.0.x version of FileBase and not 2.1.

Yes and now I realize that I started this thread in the wrong section. I must not have been paying close attention when I installed the galley from my admin control panel.

You should install 2.1 version of Gallery just to have a look at differences between both, you can auto add watermark to images in 2.1 (also using member name variable) to show each members name as copyright watermark - and has more features that betters suits using that version with WBB 4.1 (tighter integration with some other forum features). You can do things like display notices on Gallery page with 2.1 (same way forum allows notices to be displayed) and more...

They can downloaded here:
    Calendar 2.1 RC 1, Gallery 2.1 RC 1 and Filebase 2.1 RC 1 Download

Thanks for the link, I think I will wait though until the stable version is available to be installed. The gallery as it is, is outstanding. I love that users can add maps to their photos even if their camera's don't have a GPS built in to them, it's a great feature for a region specific forum like mine.

• Yes and I have it installed , it's outstanding.

Paul, good to see you here! What's the URL of your forums, mind sharing? Would like to see Gal 2.1 in action.

Tom

• Paul, good to see you here! What's the URL of your forums, mind sharing? Would like to see Gal 2.1 in action.
    Tom

Tom, here is a link to my gallery http://upstatenyoutdoors.com/gallery/ . The gallery and the rest of the forum/site are still very new and I still have a lot to do to it when I can find the time. The "Camping" and "Nature" categories are the only categories with photos in them as of right now.

I'm not sure if it was already possible with 2.0.5 but so far, what I like most about the gallery is what happens when you embed a photo from the gallery into a forum post which can be seen here http://upstatenyoutdoors.com/thread/7-image-test/ when you click on a picture. With the niche of my forum, this will be a very nice feature if it ever takes off (becomes somewhat active). I'm not too impressed by the watermark feature because if people want to steal images from a website, they are going to do it if they are watermarked or not.

• You do know with the watermark feature you can use a 'variable' in the text to show each users name for the image they upload. That it belongs to them uploaded. Also, I wouldn't say the watermark is useless because you can include your sites URL in it, so any images pulled in Google from Gallery is advertising your site.

The watermark is a 'permanent watermark', so if people do steal your images it's coming with the watermark included. Best option is to put the watermark in middle of image really and adjust transparency of it to be quite faded to not spoil the picture too much. People tend to remove copyright in images because they put it at corner (sides) and images can be cropped to remove it. They can't do that if the watermark is in middle of image.

• Tom, here is a link to my gallery http://upstatenyoutdoors.com/gallery/ . The gallery and the rest of the forum/site are still very new and I still have a lot to do to it when I can find the time. The "Camping" and "Nature" categories are the only categories with photos in them as of right now.
    I'm not sure if it was already possible with 2.0.5 but so far, what I like most about the gallery is what happens when you embed a photo from the gallery into a forum post which can be seen here http://upstatenyoutdoors.com/thread/7-image-test/ when you click on a picture. With the niche of my forum, this will be a very nice feature if it ever takes off (becomes somewhat active). I'm not too impressed by the watermark feature because if people want to steal images from a website, they are going to do it if they are watermarked or not.

Paul,

Kudo's on the site, it looks amazing!!