can we add a reply this post button?

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

usually people just wanna reply to specific post
    it won't quote the whole post, just a name and a few words , current system is not that mobile friendly

• Quote feature is very simple in WBB. Just have to click on quote to as many number of posts/ or even 1. Then go down to reply button and it will automatically quote the message. To reply to specific message, its same, press quote and the moment new reply is clicked, the first thing that gets added is quoted message. It also shows at left bottom that Quotes are pending with number. Reply button is bad feature that started with Vbulletin. People often reply to one message instantly, then later read other posts and then reply again, etc. That way either double/triple posting happens or one has to edit first replied message and then add the quote and reply. This is good. Although the problem is if you converted from VB to WBB, people may have to learn the new way. Nevertheless, if reply button is added, its no harm.

:):):):love::love::love::love:

• Quote feature is very simple in WBB. Just have to click on quote to as many number of posts/ or even 1. Then go down to reply button and it will automatically quote the message. To reply to specific message, its same, press quote and the moment new reply is clicked, the first thing that gets added is quoted message. It also shows at left bottom that Quotes are pending with number. Reply button is bad feature that started with Vbulletin. People often reply to one message instantly, then later read other posts and then reply again, etc. That way either double/triple posting happens or one has to edit first replied message and then add the quote and reply. This is good. Although the problem is if you converted from VB to WBB, people may have to learn the new way. Nevertheless, if reply button is added, its no harm.

see? I just wan to reply your post, have to quote your words first, then reply, now you know I was talking to you. if there are many people in this thread, we even don't know which person I am talking with.

• see? I just wan to reply your post, have to quote your words first, then reply, now you know I was talking to you. if there are many people in this thread, we even don't know which person I am talking with.

But doesn't reply button simply quote that post? Or has Xenforo changed something that used to be like in Vbulletin. I assume reply button in Xenforo on each post actually simply quotes the post at quick reply? And clicking on quote and pressing reply does the same? Im confused, am I thinking right? If there are other people quoted, they will get notification too.

• Just tested it (fresh XF 1.5.0) - XF has a "Reply" button/link, which behaves exactly like the quote function. And it's a full quote, so it's not really different from here. Just the number of clicks required is lower (WBB requires 3, while XF requires 1).

On mobile 3 clicks. But thats because buttons on posts are also responsive like we have on wordpress themes. Otherwise, on desktop, click quote, then click reply. Its 1 extra click I guess.

But if any developer can suggest. How hard will it be for adding a feature like this. Does it require serious rewriting of code or it is just a small function/piece of code that can be embeded in post templates?

• To make this, JS is required. However, it's not that hard.

I don't like xenforo's way too, but a simple reply button will eliminate the confusion because you know I m talking to you, plus I only need to click once.
    keep the quote button because it is really useful when I do need to quote some words from you.

• No, one of the XenForo link buttons needs be renamed really. The one called REPLY still quotes if you click it, while another is used for Multi-Quoting called (+Quote). But why call it REPLY and not QUOTE (when it quotes). They should be called (Multi-Quote and Quote), or (+Quote and Quote Reply) not +Quote and Reply (when both quotes).

As just saying 'Reply' is a bit misleading. When you also have the bigger proper button that says 'Post Reply' that doesn't quote. Think they just wanted to be different from what vBulletin calls buttons, but calling a button REPLY that quotes the post is not right wording.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (11. September 2015 um 10:09)

• No, one of the XenForo link buttons needs be renamed really. The one called REPLY still quotes if you click it, while another is used for Multi-Quoting called (+Quote). But why call it REPLY and not QUOTE (when it quotes). They should be called (Multi-Quote and Quote), or (+Quote and Quote Reply) not +Quote and Reply (when both quotes).

As just saying 'Reply' is a bit misleading. When you also have the bigger proper button that says 'Post Reply' that doesn't quote. Think they just wanted to be different from what vBulletin calls buttons, but calling a button REPLY that quotes the post is not right wording.

I didn't say xenforo is perfect but at least I know you are talking to me, right? like this post, somebody make a addon called trim quote or something, we really do not need to read the entire paragraph

• If i find some time, i'll add a "Reply to this post" button that simply opens the editor and adds a user-mention (without quoting the whole post).

that is still not good if same person mentioned you twice or more in multiple posts, better quote a few words from previous posts

• Sorry, don't agree. XenForo isn't that good with quotes not showing the full quoted post. Also dislike if you quote a post with an image in it, with XenForo the image is not displayed in the quote.

I know what you mean, how XenForo only shows so much of a quoted post if a long one. But most people find themselves wanting to read the full quoted post (what a person replyied too), so you only end up having to click the expand quote (a pointless click done). It's more a gimmick to be different and serves no real purpose if you ask me.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (11. September 2015 um 16:54)

• I push this because I like the Idea.

but I would tweak it at a bit.
    my Idea would be when replying to a person that it automatically addsa mention and the post number in the thread.

aus angst vor Capslock nutze ich selten shift.

in fear of capslock I rarely use shift.

• I know, but then somebody will come with "use the search, there is already a topic"
    which is a part I hate in many forums. gravedigging isnt allowed and reposting isnt either, doesnt make sense.

sad part is that I didnt find any rules for the WL forum yet.

aus angst vor Capslock nutze ich selten shift.

in fear of capslock I rarely use shift.

• gravedigging isnt allowed and reposting isnt either, doesnt make sense.

That is not true.
    Especially the suggestion forums are exactly there for that.

Suggestions made for WCF 2.0 were rejected for example, again suggested for WCF 2.1 , reconsidered by WL and implemented for example.
    Or again rejected and newly suggested for WCF 2.2 ;)

But it doesnt make sense at all to write posts in those "closed" forums because these threads do have a label already and are finalised

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!