Censorship: post content is lost

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

There is probably some bug in censorship.

Steps:
    - enable Censorship in Options --> Security --> Censorship
    - add some test word
    - try to write post with this word inside

Result:
    - message "Your post requires manual approval and will not be displayed until then."
    - despite this message there is no post to manual approve, post disappeared - it is not published and not present in moderation queue, it is completely lost.

• I'm curious about this, because I encountered that problem before. However, in my, it wasn't caused by the Censorship feature per se, and it revealed to be an issue on the host side.

Does that happen only when you utilize Censorship?

• Funny one that, while I have not tested it recently. Could have swore before when I added a censored word and tried to use it in a topic, that it simply rejected the topic from being submitted and didn't stick anything in moderation.

• Yes, that's the correct behavior, it prevents you from posting anything that contains a censured word, until you remove/change it. It has always been this way I believe. His problem is that for some reason, using Censorship triggers a moderation action on the post containing a censured word, actually deleting it with a warning that the post first needs to be manually approved by staff, which is bogus because staff never sees that post in their moderation section.

I encountered this problem before, but not when using censorship. The warning and post deletion occurred for every post submitted, and it was triggered by host's own cache engine. Once opted out the problem stopped. He needs to do some testing. To rule out host problems, he could move his site to a local installation and test it there. If the problem also occurs locally, it's something internal to his forum that he can narrow down, if not, it could be host side and submit a ticket.

• I was going to say, but only guessing here though. My server was using Mod Security with me at first and when running phpBB before WBB. It was a pain because some keywords would end up showing a deny error page because MS was blocking some keywords... it was also blocking posts if they contained more than 5 links pasted in it (not using bbcode). In the end I asked them to remove it completely and they did. But that will conflict with all sorts of stuff leaving you scratching your head what is going on? It even blocked me from accessing Styles section in admin cp with WBB. That was the last straw and said they better just remove it... as it was one thing after another causing problems with that Mod Security

• My server was using Mod Security with me at first and when running phpBB before WBB. It was a pain

Don't let me start on ModSec, because it gave me plenty of headaches since wbb 3.1.8. Some hosts set overly aggressive rules, which get in the way and create odd problems that leave you wondering and confused.

• Saying that though, it wouldn't show post as stuck in moderation if ModSec was causing it. It would serve either it's own error deny page up, or a forum one like it did with me before. So don't think it would be linked with ModSec that happening. But it can be confusing because it won't necessarily serve up a default server error page, it may use the forum one for the deny which can leave you confused then?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (6. August 2015 um 17:30)

• Yeah, in my case, it was triggered by aggressive caching host side. Once I opted out their caching engine, the problem disappeared. I was just saying that many hosts' implementation of ModSec leaves much to be desired, and can create some issues with WBB installations, at least in my own experience.

• Wow, thanks for answers :thumbup: I had never seen censorship reaction like in @GTB post - on my server I always get this moderation message and post content is lost.

Now I did some more tests, also with localhost (XAMPP) and:
    - localhost - New Thread: OK, censorship is working
    - localhost - Quick Reply: OK, censorship is working
    - server - New Thread: OK, censorship is working
    - server - Quick Reply: Fail, I get that message about moderation (Your post requires manual approval and will not be displayed until then) and post content is missing.

So problem is only on my server and only in Quick Reply - full editor looks like working OK.

What now? How to diagnose where lies problem with server and what should be changed?
    I'm not sure if I will be able to change anything. I'm on VPS, but not much I can change in its configuration...

If anybody from Woltlab would like to look at this - I'm able to put some hidden test installation of WBB to give ability to look at situation ;)

• Thanks for tests - for me after I hit Reply button to show Quick Reply - when submitting - post is lost with "moderation" message.

I did now also small change - my server got Memcache, so I switched to it from DiskCache but problem still exist ;)

I will send a ticked about this, thanks ;)

• So what you're saying is. You can start a thread OK and that gets posted not using blocked words (and will even block them OK starting a new thread). But if you hit reply and enter some blocked words and submit it, then the whole topic itself disappears

• - server - New Thread: OK, censorship is working
    - server - Quick Reply: Fail, I get that message about moderation (Your post requires manual approval and will not be displayed until then) and post content is missing.

Not being able to post when there is a censored word is expected, while seeing a moderation notification and losing the post is not. The fact that it doesn't happen in your local installation suggests there could be a problem host side. As I mentioned earlier, I had that same isse a while ago, and I fixed by submitting a ticket to my host support and asked them to opt my account out their caching engine. You could do that, and also submit a ticket to WBB support, as they might have more insight and may advise you better.

• I did now also small change - my server got Memcache, so I switched to it from DiskCache but problem still exist

So you changed settings in Admin CP in forum from DiskCache to Mem because your server host offers it. Did you also after doing that empty all cache, using the admin cp setting to do it?

• So you changed settings in Admin CP in forum from DiskCache to Mem because your server host offers it. Did you also after doing that empty all cache, using the admin cp setting to do it?

Yes, I guess it'd be logic to have the same cache settings in host and ACP, and clear forum cache after changing.

@PolUser changing from memcache to Diskcache and vice versa didn't fix my problem at the time. I had to submit a ticket and ask them if they were using their own caching engine, which they did. Once they opted me out, the problem was fixed. I also wanted to ask you if you are currently using CloudFlare?

• If I'm trying to start new topic - censorship is working OK. When submitting - it is blocked, post content is saved and I got message what word I need to change - OK :D

If I'm trying to reply topic (Reply button) - censorship is failing. Submit button give result with message "Your post requires manual approval and will not be displayed until then" and post content disappear (not in quick reply editor, not in thread, not in moderation queue what suggested message - just disappear). Topic is OK, just my reply doesn't show up but also disappear from quick reply editor without any information what really happened.

After I switched to Memcache - I did Cleat Cache to be sure that everything is cached correctly ;)

As I'm not sure what caching issue that can be (because switching from disk cache to memcache not fixed problem) maybe I'll start with ticket to Woltlab to get some clue ;)

I'm not using CloudFlare.

Overally looks like not WBB bug, so sorry for posting this as a WBB bug ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!