Disclaimer agreement notice displayed is wrong based on German only

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

So just been reading the Disclaimer on my forum and spotted this section in it.

Zitat

Copyright

The content and works published on this website are governed by the copyright laws of Germany. Any duplication, processing, distribution or any form of utilisation beyond the scope of copyright law shall require the prior written consent of the author or authors in question.

But I'm not hosted in Germany? Should it not read something like this instead.

Zitat

The content and works published on this website are governed by copyright laws. Any duplication, processing, distribution or any form of utilisation beyond the scope of copyright law shall require the prior written consent of the author or authors in question.

Or even this

Zitat

The content and works published on this website are governed by copyright laws of the country this site is hosted from. Any duplication, processing, distribution or any form of utilisation beyond the scope of copyright law shall require the prior written consent of the author or authors in question.

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (18. Juli 2015 um 19:20)

• Sure, I know it can be changed in a phrase, even just disable the agreement page itself. But was reporting it because technically it's wrong unless your site is hosted in Germany. It should be changed to be none specific to any one country.

• They can't know if there is anythink like copyright laws in your country. It's only a sample text you have to change.

You're missing the point that the agreement reads as though any forum running WBB showing that agreement page is hosted out of Germany. See, if you want the software to appeal to other people other than just German people, little things like that need to be changed.

The fact is that agreement reads wrong for any WBB forum hosted in another country like mine hosted out USA. Because it's saying my forum comes under German copyright laws when in fact it doesn't.

It's only a case of removing the German part, you can word it how you like as long as it doesn't make the assumption all WBB sites are hosted out Germany and comes under their copyright laws.

• You're missing the point that the agreement reads as though any forum running WBB showing that agreement page is hosted out of Germany. See, if you want the software to appeal to other people other than just German people, little things like that need to be changed.
    The fact is that agreement reads wrong for any WBB forum hosted in another country like mine hosted out USA. Because it's saying my forum comes under German copyright laws when in fact it doesn't.

It's only a case of removing the German part, you can word it how you like as long as it doesn't make the assumption all WBB sites are hosted out Germany and comes under their copyright laws.

Just change the phrase. It's wrong to expect wbb to change something that clearly isn't broken. It's a generic disclaimer and any responsible forum owner needs to customize it to fit their forum. They created a disclaimer that fits the vast majority of their customers. It took me ten minutes to fix it to my needs.

• It's a generic disclaimer

Exactly, so it should read as such then.

Why should I need to go into phrases hacking the text, when clearly it is wrong and doesn't suit anyone unless you run a forum hosted in Germany showing it? Just fix the thing to be more generic suiting all cases.

I don't honest see what the issue is about removing that from the copyright but have noticed so far that staff developers here are reading it but won't comment on it

• @GTB Making a 1 size fits all is virtually impossible, because laws change intercontinentally, internationally, and even domestically within their own respected borders.

The best any development can do is provide one that fits "most", while also respecting their own laws in the processes. Because Woltlab is German Company, they have 2 options...

1) Not provider you one and completely leave it up to you

Or

2) Provider you one that represents the laws of Germany (as required by law).

Woltlab was gracious enough to choose the later and provide a basic terms page, outlining the laws of Germany. But like with any terms provided, it is your sole responsibility to investigate and educate yourself if those terms are valid where you are.

Some of those "generic" terms that are bundled with other developments, are not all legal everywhere on the planet. So again, it is your responsibility to investigate and educate yourself and adjust your terms accordingly.

If you're not happy with the terms supplied by Woltlab... You're welcome to use mine, which I've been passing out freely since 1997 / 98 (?). I released these for general use on a few developments in the past. As a result plenty of people use them.

While this document was evaluated by my own legal counsel, it is only provided as an example of an Terms of Service. To my very limited knowledge, it is accurate at the time of this posting and theoretically valid, but not guaranteed in any way.

If it was theoretically used you would need to change the document to reflect YOU.

Attached is both a filled in working example and an empty template example so that you may compare side by side for your own educational needs.

I would suggest a program such as WinMerge as to be able to compare both examples side by side.

Warranty: NONE / Zero / Not available
    Support: NO SUPPORT, commentary discussion only and self-opinion.
    License: Free Open Source

Click here to read Disclaimer

WARNING: This document is provided as a guide for educational reasons only. You may use this document at your own risk, but if you elect /decide to do so, you are highly recommended to seek your own legal counsel in advance before actually using this document, as International Laws vary and change often and this "document example" may be invalid for you.

I am NOT a legal advisor, counsel, officer of the court, associated with any government branch of justice, or any member of council or an organization authorized to provide any legal aid, services, or advice and provide this only as an example for educational use as a basic example.

• I am in the USA too so how do I change or edit the disclaimer? It would not allow me to edit it. Is
    there a place where I can edit it and insert a modified disclaimer that is suitable for the USA?
    Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!