Avatar problems, on a copy & restore installation

• I have spent the day wrestling with a vanilla Ubuntu 14.04 and installing LEMP, a couple of times.

I had a working install of BB on another server (LAMP) so to save time I (possibly naïvely) copied the BB file structure in its entirety from the old server to the new server, chgrp'd from root/root to www_data/www_data, imported the SQL dump from the old server to the new one, and stood well back.

And to my surprise, it worked! at least, mostly.

I don't know whether the issue I'm having is to do with the way I've "installed" it, maybe permissions, or something else, maybe to do with the fact it's nginx, and I don't know nginx.

The issue (and it's the only issue so far..) is that when I try to upload an Avatar, I get nothing.. nada. It looks like it's going to upload, but nothing happens. I've tried to find the directory they are supposed to upload into but I can't. Is it a case of tracking it down and applying more liberal permissions?

Or, should I trash this installation and start again? I could dump the new database out (it's had significant changes this afternoon), install BB afresh, then import the data from SQL again.

The final thing I would reiterate is, I am an Apache person. I have never dealt with nginx before, or the weird PHP flavour it seems to need. So perhaps it's an issue peculiar to nginx.

Final final thing... the more I use the software, the better I am finding it. The Search box in the admin interface is just superb. Great work, really.

Thanks

• Further information:

1. ZIP files can be attached to a post, and TXT files. JPG files can not, I get this little red message:

but when the post is Submitted and then I go back to view it, the JPG attachment is there. However when I click on it, it opens in the same browser window, instead of a nice lightbox as I'm sure should happen.

2. I installed ImageMagick, in case that is relevant.

• Even more info. I installed GD Graphics and now the images are uploading (yay!), but they still display in the same browser window as the forum software (they replace it) rather than a lightbox.

JS related?

Sorry to be such a numpty.

• lol, sorry! Even more info. I installed libjs-jquery and now the lightbox works. Seems kinda obvious now.

Honestly, this vanilla ubuntu is weird, I've never worked on one before. Took me ages at the start to work out there was no web server installed :)

Anyway I'll check out ImageMagick again see if the JS fix has fixed that as well.

Talk amongst yourselves.

• I feel your pain with installing Ubuntu on nginx; I also faced troubles of various nature due to my inexperience with this web server. While nginx is better performing in some case, it can be frustrating to setup and configure if you don't know it by heart.

Just like you, I also prefer the flexibility of Apache (or LiteSpeed's superior performance), which is easy to install and configure. I usually have 0 problems installing LAMP on OpenSSH Ubuntu 14.04. The trick is choosing OpenSSH during the installation, and installing manually the rest is just a breeze.

By the way, good job figuring out the workaround for the problems you described above.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (13. April 2015 um 22:37)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!