April Fools Day

• This is a general request for any developer with some free time and who has a sense of humor. April 1st is known as April Fools Day. Which is basically a day for jokes and pranks.

If you have never heard of this holiday, feel free to read Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day

It really is just an excuse to play little practical jokes on people in good harmless fun. :P

I noticed that Woltlab has no modifications for that holiday and if someone has any free time and feels like doing something creative, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

• If you have never heard of this holiday...

They did hear about it. In fact April Fools has been around in Germany as early as 1618 ;)

The phrase "in den April schicken" (to send someone in April or to make an April fool), was used around that date in Bavaria, and showed some regional variations, such as "zum April schicken", "um den April schicken", and "für den April schicken."

April's Fool Day is well known and "practiced" across Europe.

• I noticed that Woltlab has no modifications for that holiday and if someone has any free time and feels like doing something creative, it would be appreciated.

Well, where is the fun if you can download it and everyone knows instantly what it is?

April Fools day is taken very seriously in Germany (at least by some people), so you'd normally develop something very creative and very fun for yourself, then use it yourself and then the prank is known and you'd never use it again in the next years, because by then it's "old". So yeah, having an Aprils Fools plugin doesn't really make much sense, because then you'd have neither creativity nor any uniqueness, and every joke that would be implemented in it would be old and boring very quickly.

At least I wouldn't give away my ideas in the store. Where is the fun in it - I'd have to upload it beforehand and everyone would know what it is before I even get to use it. Even if the community I use it in would not even know of the plugin store - the source would quickly get leaked to them.

I think aprils Fools joke is a prime example for things that you simply can not do "properly" with stock plugins. It has to be unique (in my opinion).

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Well, where is the fun if you can download it and everyone knows instantly what it is?
    April Fools day is taken very seriously in Germany (at least by some people), so you'd normally develop something very creative and very fun for yourself, then use it yourself and then the prank is known and you'd never use it again in the next years, because by then it's "old". So yeah, having an Aprils Fools plugin doesn't really make much sense, because then you'd have neither creativity nor any uniqueness, and every joke that would be implemented in it would be old and boring very quickly.

At least I wouldn't give away my ideas in the store. Where is the fun in it - I'd have to upload it beforehand and everyone would know what it is before I even get to use it. Even if the community I use it in would not even know of the plugin store - the source would quickly get leaked to them.

I think aprils Fools joke is a prime example for things that you simply can not do "properly" with stock plugins. It has to be unique (in my opinion).

I actually agree. But sadly have no time... Even as I type this I'm on the road. Stuck in traffic actually at the moment. Which is puzzlingly, because it is Saturday and it is only 9 am, but the road here looks as though it was rush hour. It's actually raining outside too, so I have no idea why there are so many people out today. ?(

• Would it not be smarter with a feature to holidays generally and not just one? :)

An Aprils Fools joke is hardly something you'd ever use at another date.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!