Various pre-sales questions

• Hello
    1) What are the size restrictions for the forum header graphic? (It is my intention to provide forum information there which would not be read as text by search engines)
    2) Can I have a different header for each language option?
    3) Can my index page https://www.woltlab.com/www.domain.com/ be the main forum directory page?
    4) For guests, can I enhance the top line "Login or register English" to include "(Auto translate mode - no language barriers here)" a similar thing to vB phrases, and will this extra text be auto-translated if someone selects the German language option?
    5) Will the unoffical language packs provide integrate fully with icons (for the above guest language selection) etc.?
    6) The partner / banner option systems in the Plugin Store do not show user end examples (what and where the users will see). Where do these plugins insert the banners and do they insert banners for every page?
    7) Some of the English (auto-translated from German) is not great. I am not talking about the message texts but site provided information. Can I do a similar thing to vB expresions, where I can edit bad English?
    8) Will all site text be transated according to the language preference of each user? Including text placed alongside partner banners?
    9) Here, you have the forums tabs / links and title with the text "Community". I presume I can change this?
    Thx
    Travlur

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello @Travlur,

1) What are the size restrictions for the forum header graphic? (It is my intention to provide forum information there which would not be read as text by search engines)

There are no restrictions.

2) Can I have a different header for each language option?

This is only possible with template changes.

3) Can my index page domain.com/ be the main forum directory page?

Yep

4) For guests, can I enhance the top line "Login or register English" to include "(Auto translate mode - no language barriers here)" a similar thing to vB phrases, and will this extra text be auto-translated if someone selects the German language option?

All texts are stored in phrases. You can edit this in the ACP and add your own text. An automatic translation of texts does not occur (Automatic translation is very bad usually.). All texts must be manually created in any language. Our products detects the browser language and choose according to this the display language. If no matching language exists, the default language is used.

5) Will the unoffical language packs provide integrate fully with icons (for the above guest language selection) etc.?

Community Framework provides flags for the most common languages.

6) The partner / banner option systems in the Plugin Store do not show user end examples (what and where the users will see). Where do these plugins insert the banners and do they insert banners for every page?

Questions about third party plugins please apply to the respective developer.

7) Some of the English (auto-translated from German) is not great. I am not talking about the message texts but site provided information. Can I do a similar thing to vB expresions, where I can edit bad English?

Already answered in Question 4.

Will all site text be transated according to the language preference of each user? Including text placed alongside partner banners?

It is possible to bind the advertising to a particular language. Banners are not automatically translated if the text does not match the display language.

9) Here, you have the forums tabs / links and title with the text "Community". I presume I can change this?

Already answered in Question 4.

• Thank you.

A) Re: 4 The default language selection worries me. If the default language is simply the language option given to an unknown visitor (according to their default browser language or not) AND the flag (change language) icons are still at the top, OK. But I hate sites that determine what language to serve me without an easy option to correct this.

B) So can you specify exactly what is translated? The messages? The navigation button texts? The URLs? The terms and conditions? Polls?

C) I can not find anything about polls. Are these present for users to select and use?

Thank you.
    Travlur

Also, sorry;

D) How well crawled and indexed are the various language option pages by Google? Does Google index the two / various language versions in the relevant language? Are there any known search egnine penalties for duplicate content?

• Offizieller Beitrag

A) Re: 4 The default language selection worries me. If the default language is simply the language option given to an unknown visitor (according to their default browser language or not) AND the flag (change language) icons are still at the top, OK. But I hate sites that determine what language to serve me without an easy option to correct this.

Each user, regardless of guest or registered, has the possibility to change the language.

Registered users can change the language in their profile:

Guests can change the language next to the login/register option:

B) So can you specify exactly what is translated? The messages? The navigation button texts? The URLs? The terms and conditions? Polls?

All the phrases in the software are available in German and English (ranks, interface, notifications, conditions of use etc.). All text that you write yourself (name of the forum, new ranks, new usergroups etc.) you have to create in any language (if they should be available in each).

C) I can not find anything about polls. Are these present for users to select and use?

Polls are possible. You can controll by group privileges who can create polls and who not.

D) How well crawled and indexed are the various language option pages by Google? Does Google index the two / various language versions in the relevant language? Are there any known search egnine penalties for duplicate content?

Search engines are handled as guests and see only what guests can see. Posts are indexed on the language setting of the search robot (If multilingualism is activated in the forum and the topics are assigned to a language.).

Without activated multilingualism each user sees each topic, because they are not assigned to any explicit language. With activated multilingualism you can assign the topic to an language during the creation. Default is the user's display language.

May I suggest our online demo? There you can quite easily test what is displayed in which language.
    https://www.woltlab.com/demo/

• Also, I understand you can go into your user account menu to change the language option, but that is no good if you can not navigate to that point becauce the forum has decided to serve you a language that you do not speak. Again, my question is, when someone is not registered, will they get the flag / language option icon on the top IRRESPECTIVE of their browser info?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Google crawls everything it has access for. We uses HTML 5 microdata to prevent double content. Google does not crawl the language chooser.

Requires an activated multilingualism!
    Example 1: Google is recognized as an english user (English User Agent). Google crawls all the threads, forums and posts are available in English.

Example 2: Google comes as a german user (German User Agent). Google crawls all german related content.

Again, my question is, when someone is not registered, will they get the flag / language option icon on the top IRRESPECTIVE of their browser info?

As you can see on the screenshots above: Yes

• Offizieller Beitrag

If Multilingualism is disabled, then Google crawls everything. But is multilingualism enabled, Google crawls only what is assigned to the appropriate language.

Let me take you as an example. We operate our forum with activated multilingualism. You have only English enabled as content language and therefore see only the English topics. Activate in your profile also German and you'll see a lot more topics.

Depending on what search results language is set to Google, you'll get there corresponding results from our forum (https://www.google.com/preferences).

As a registered user you have the opportunity to see all the content with activated multilingualism. As a guest you can only select one language.

• Andrea
    I am not interested in my specific browsing experience with Google.
    Please forget what my browser / google settings are.

Does Google crawl and index both languages?
    Will German seach engines crawl the German language pages on my Burning Board site?

• OK, so there is no common language here.
    There are German language posts and English Language posts.
    There is no translation from one into the other, like with other forum packages.

• You know, the marketing you put out and your English makes it appear you have a dual language system based on your own proprietary language.
    I found your site / system from one "Best Forum Software" review which is heavily criticized elsewhere on the basis you used bots to spam it.
    I think you should stick to German only, even though this is not one of the two official languages of the EU. Because your attempts at one of the two official languages is appalling.
    No wonder wiki does not list you!
    Have a nice day; thanks for wasting my time.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!