Remove the user group called everyone

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

edit: I withdraw my original suggestion.
    This is my improved suggestion:
    Keep the user group called everyone, but disassociate it from guest

However, if you feel strongly enough about my original (or think it's a better idea), it is below.

original:

To me the user group labeled, "everyone" is like having a 2nd "guest" group.

I basically have to uncheck everything twice (2x) to prevent guest from posting or doing things they shouldn't be allowed, because even when you tell the "guest" group, no, the "everyone" group may still say, yes.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (15. März 2015 um 15:06)

• I still think the everyone group can be useful. Here is a (German) explanation of right system used with Burning Board: WBB3 Berechtigungen verstehen.

If you can provide a full English translation. Google translate doesn't do photos.

I think personally it's just like having a 2nd guest group. Because you need to disable it in both to get it to disable in guest.

• "Both" and "Everyone" are two completely different groups and removing one of them would require to completely rewrite the whole user group logic.

It would also save on code removing such.
    It would also save configuration time, because guest shouldn't be counted as everyone.

Either or is a better approach.

• Its not two guest groups.
    IF you have tons of groups for example and have one option to do for everyone, even guests than it would be easiest to do only set the right for everyone instead for all groups individually

That only applies if you want guest to post. Because remember, guest is everyone too. And in most sites, people don't want guest posting. So this is useless so long as guest are included.

• Let's assume you want a forum for your staff (normal Moderators are not considered as staff in this case ;) ). You could set the forum rights up like that:

• Everyone: Deny all
    • Super Moderators: Allow all
    • Administrators: Allow all

=> Guests, normal Users and normal Moderators can't see the forum

Linux: Born to Frag 8) :D

• I'm going to admit one thing: after more than 5 years using Burning Board I have problems with user permissions.

I understand the theory about usergroup's permissions, but the everyone usergroup it isn't intuitive for me. I prefer to set every usergroup's permissions. I have Everyone without any permission and every usergroup with their respective permissions.

• The user group "Everyone" is very useful, the installation manual even gives a very good example.

The group "Everyone" is not a second guest group. You have to think about it in terms of set containment. A guest is obviously someone, so a guest is part of the user groups "everyone" and "guests". A registered userals also someone, so he is part of the user groups "everyone" and "registered users".

Take a simple permission, for example "Can comment on blog articles". If I want both registered users and guests to be able to comment, I just allow it fer"everyone" and I am done. If the group "everyone" would not exist, I would have to set this twice, once for guests and once for registered users.

Now an even more extreme example: If I would like to have a hidden board just for the staff, I configure the board permissions for that board. I will

- Deny everything for the group "Everyone"
    - Allow access for the groups "Administrator" and "Moderators"

If the group "everyone" would not exists, I would always have to think about both the groups "guests" and "registered users". failing to deny access for one of them would have obvious dramatic consequences that I don't want.

All in all, having a group for literally everyone just makes sense. Yes, the other way round you also have to be mindful about it and remove permissions from that group also, but imho it is very well worth it.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• If the group "everyone" would not exist, I would have to set this twice, once for guests and once for registered users.

Because it exist, I have to set it twice... 1x for everyone and 1x for guest, just to prevent an unregistered, unidentified, assumed troll from posting or banned member from coming back in the shadows. This includes spammers.

So that 1x argument is invalid for the practicality of most setups. Because most setups have to factor in the idea of troubled members, which is why guest usually are not allowed to post or do much anything else except read on most sites you visit.

So in most typical sites... Yes, this counts as having 2 guest accounts.

• I'm going to admit one thing: after more than 5 years using Burning Board I have problems with user permissions.

I understand the theory about usergroup's permissions, but the everyone usergroup it isn't intuitive for me. I prefer to set every usergroup's permissions. I have Everyone without any permission and every usergroup with their respective permissions.

I like the concept and if guest wasn't included, I guess it wouldn't be so bad. If you could copy permissions from a user group to make a new user group, this would be even better.

• @Adam Howard if you want to block guests from writing you could setup the rights for the Forum the following way:

• Everyone: is able to see the forum and to read the content but nothing else
    • Registered Users: Can read and write
    • Moderators: you might add the right to add pools

By the way, this is something I'm very sure that it wont be implemented as the origin of it is the first WCF from 2007.

Linux: Born to Frag 8) :D

• @Adam Howard if you want to block guests from writing you could setup the rights for the Forum the following way:

• Everyone: is able to see the forum and to read the content but nothing else
    • Registered Users: Can read and write
    • Moderators: you might add the right to add pools

By the way, this is something I'm very sure that it wont be implemented as the origin of it is the first WCF from 2007.

Incorrect, still need to limit guest.
    If you limit guest, you still need to limit everyone.

The two go hand in hand. It's like having 2 guest accounts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!