Are embedded videos flash dependant?

• I created YouTube test thread in order to see if embedded YouTube video would work for me. Sadly, it does not work.

I have no issues with playing that video in YouTube website but I think YouTube uses HTML5 by default now, therefore the lack of flash add-on is not an issue.

So the question is: Are embedded videos flash dependant? Based on my browser asking me to activate flash, I would say that they are. Is there any chance to change it in the future releases?

Browser: Abrowser 35.0.1

Browser: GNU IceCat 31.4.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

YouTube videos are embedded using an iframe where the actual player (Flash or HTML5) is negotiated by YouTube itself. For example the video in the thread above can be played back on my iPhone (which does not have Flash) without changing anything.

Please check this page with your IceCat browser to see if there is anything preventing YouTube from picking the HTML5 player: https://www.youtube.com/html5

• Offizieller Beitrag

The iframe embed code (which does not offer an option to explicitly select a video) is the recommended way to embed videos, mostly because it features an automatic negotiation process to pick the player. Given the fact that this negotiation works perfectly fine on iOS proves that this is not related to the embed code, but to the actual browser.

The bottom line is that one has no control over the player that is picked when embedding videos, if it is not working in your browser, then it is most likely a bug you may want to report to Google.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!