Unknown location

• Betroffene App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

So I noticed when viewing the "who is online" there are some people listed as, Unknown location. I'm always interested in what my members are doing (it helps me improve things). So I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug. I notice 90% of the time I can see where they are so, I'm assuming the other 10% is a bug.

This isn't critical (isn't that important). So if it a bug, I imagine it could easily fit into the future fix group.

• Unknown location means exactly two things:

• The location is known but not accessible by you (e.g. conversations you're not participating in)
    • Locations need to be explicitly defined to be visible, if there is no such record it will be listed as "Unknown"

I had thought if someone was in a conversation it would simply read "conversation" rather than unknown location. And I would hope all locations were defined (in the stock install).

At least that is my line of thinking and why I thought it could be a bug. But the more I know :) Thanks for explaining. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

And I would hope all locations were defined (in the stock install).

This is actually on purpose to save us (and translators) from work, for example if someone is currently on the avatar management page, chances are the user will leave this page pretty soon. Then again, usually people don't change their avatar often, thus the odds of actually catching one doing this is almost zero, so why bother having a location defined if it is going to be almost never displayed? It's all about efficiency ;)

• This is actually on purpose to save us (and translators) from work, for example if someone is currently on the avatar management page, chances are the user will leave this page pretty soon. Then again, usually people don't change their avatar often, thus the odds of actually catching one doing this is almost zero, so why bother having a location defined if it is going to be almost never displayed? It's all about efficiency ;)

Hi @Alexander Ebert :)

I understand and I like your explanation. Is not necessary to define exactly all user activities or locations, but if instead of Unknown location we use Account Management for all similar activities (edit avatar, edit signature, account settings,...)? Is more intuitive than Unknown location for users and (maybe) is easy to define. It's just an idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately the user online list can only handle exact locations and does not support "grouped" locations. Also the chances of actually catching a user there is again pretty low because there is nothing that takes you ages to get there.

The location display is intended to give a rough overview what users are currently doing.

• Besides, no other user has to know that I am managing my account.

If you as an admin want detailed information what your user do and how long, use analytics tools like GA - they offer far more information then he user online list.

But if every single of my clicks was visible in the user online list in detail, then I'd be forced to turn on invisibility - which I don't really want. It's not bad if some (i.E. unpublic) areas stay hidden.

If you don't like the wording "Unknow location" you can change that in the phrase manegement, like "Doing something else"

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!