Extend ignore - Help me fill in my show stopper

• I really do like Woltlab Burning Board, but I have run into a single show stopper. Something that I cannot ignore and most importantly, neither will my partner or my members. I am willing to pay for this development.

On my site, ignore makes it so from your perspective, the person you are ignoring does not exist.

• You cannot see their threads
    • You cannot see their replies (comments) made on your threads
    • You cannot see their blogs
    • You cannot see their blog replies (comments) made on your blog
    • They cannot send you a PM (DM)
    • They cannot post on your wall.

I should point out that it doesn't block people from posting, it just makes it so you do not see or get any notice of those post and they have no personal contact with you.

Without this 1 feature, I will not be able to convert not only my site, but a few of the other sites that I help manage. This truly is a show stopper. :(

They cannot send you a PM (DM)

This seems to already work on 4.1 and @Alexander Ebert has assured me there are plenty of hooks within the core to extend to make the rest possible. In fact, this is already planned for 4.2. However, we need the future of tomorrow, yesterday.

• I requested this plugin a while back for 4.0 Full Block Which seems to be basically what you're looking for as well. This block/ignore feature really should have been enhanced out of the box, because it's involving with user privacy global wide within the software / community. If you block or ignore someone, you shouldn't be able to see their stuff nor them see your stuff (like facebook blocking), and of course if harassed by user x, then there's no way to stop it at all. I still think this should be a plugin for 4.0, not just 4.1.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (10. Februar 2015 um 22:58)

• I really do like Woltlab Burning Board, but I have run into a single show stopper. Something that I cannot ignore and most importantly, neither will my partner or my members. I am willing to pay for this development.

On my site, ignore makes it so from your perspective, the person you are ignoring does not exist.

• You cannot see their threads
    • You cannot see their replies (comments) made on your threads
    • You cannot see their blogs
    • You cannot see their blog replies (comments) made on your blog
    • They cannot send you a PM (DM)
    • They cannot post on your wall.

I should point out that it doesn't block people from posting, it just makes it so you do not see or get any notice of those post and they have no personal contact with you.

Without this 1 feature, I will not be able to convert not only my site, but a few of the other sites that I help manage. This truly is a show stopper. :(

This is redundant., you already posted such request here. This is feature that will most likely be implemented in 4.2.x. If a same/similar idea was already discussed on a specific thread (and given assurance that will be implemented in feature updates), to post it again under another forum category and call it a "wish" in an attempt to gain momentum and make it seem more urgent, will not make it less redundant.

I think that one doesn't need to keep making the same requests over and over (and across different forums), maybe in the hope that they will be satisfied sooner than later. This attitude only promotes cross-posting and redundancy, even if it's done in good faith.

P.S. I find it amusing that you keep liking your own posts. Nothing wrong with it, mind you; it's just funny.

8 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (10. Februar 2015 um 23:28)

• This is redundant., you already posted such request here. This is feature that will most likely be implemented in 4.2.x. If a same/similar idea was already discussed on a specific thread (and given assurance that will be implemented in feature updates), to post it again under another forum category and call it a "wish" in an attempt to gain momentum and make it seem more urgent, will not make it less redundant.

I think that one doesn't need to keep making the same requests over and over (and across different forums), maybe in the hope that they will be satisfied sooner than later. This attitude only promotes cross-posting and redundancy, even if it's done in good faith.

woltlab.com/attachment/99755/

P.S. I find it amusing that you keep liking your own posts. Nothing wrong with it, mind you; it's just funny.

You again are in the wrong forum or confused.

The first post was to request this as a feature for Woltlab Burning Board, which was posted in that forum (suggestions).

This thread is in the forum for addon development, because while it maybe added in 4.2, sometime in 2016 of next year (the earliest).... I need this TODAY (metaphorically speaking) and am willing to PAY for such a development.

This is the correct forum to request 3rd party development and I am doing so. :) When someone cannot wait for something to be added into the core OR if it isn't going to be... One has the option to seek development. This is what I am doing. ;)

I requested this plugin a while back for 4.0 Full Block Which seems to be basically what you're looking for as well. This block/ignore feature really should have been enhanced out of the box, because it's involving with user privacy global wide within the software / community. If you block or ignore someone, you shouldn't be able to see their stuff nor them see your stuff (like facebook blocking), and of course if harassed by user x, then there's no way to stop it at all. I still think this should be a plugin for 4.0, not just 4.1.

I do not believe in BLOCK. Ignore, yes. Blocking would prevent someone from posting. I want nothing to prevent someone from posting.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (10. Februar 2015 um 23:35)

• You again are in the wrong forum.

The first post was to request this as a feature for Woltlab Burning Board, which was posted in that forum.

This thread is in the forum for addon development, because while it maybe added in 4.2, sometime in 2016 of next year (the earliest).... I need this TODAY and am willing to PAY for such a development.

This is the correct forum to request 3rd party development and I am doing so. :)

Once again, as I tried to explain it to you before, here at wbb you are in no position to establish which forums are right or wrong for board members ;)

As I already addressed in my post above, the fact that you discuss the same idea (even using the same format in the way you submit it) in two different locations, and call one a suggestion and another a wish, does not make them less redundant.

We keep coming back to the fact that if you need something now, you keep posting about it under different forum categories, which is what makes it redundant.

So, maybe you are the one that is in the wrong forum, or should I say, you are in almost all forums :D

• Once again, as I tried to explain it to you before, here at wbb you are in no position to establish which forums are right or wrong for board members

Neither are you. Woltlab however does. And they have made a forum for people to seek 3rd party development. Which I am doing for my own needs.

As I already addressed in my post above, the fact that you discuss the same idea (even using the same format in the way you submit it) in two different locations, and call one a suggestion and another a wish, does not make them less redundant.

That was for requesting it to be added into the core. I got my answer, that it would be added in 4.2

This one is for a request for 3rd party development, because while that answer is pleasing, it does not fit for my own current needs in 4.1.

Those are two independent forums for two different purposes. And these threads fit accordingly. ;)

So, maybe you are the one that is in the wrong forum, or should I say, you are in almost all forums

I see now that your intention is to TROLL. <X

• I do not believe in BLOCK. Ignore, yes. Blocking would prevent someone from posting. I want nothing to prevent someone from posting.

I think I understand what you're saying now. The ignored user's posts would almost become "invisible" to those that choose to ignore someone specifically, but the posts are still there, just in "hiding" to the person doing the ignoring. If the user stops ignoring user x, then user x's posts and threads become visible to them. No one is prevented from posting.

I like that idea of course, but I still think the block feature should be in enhanced though. Because if user y, ignores user x, user x could be posting abusive or harassing things on user y's profile, and user y wouldn't know it, because user x's stuff is just "hidden" and "out of sight" to them (being on ignore). Perhaps there could be a plugin made with both abilities, full block along with ignore. So it gives users many options to choose from.

Some might just want to ignore someone, not block them, but on other hand, if someone is being harassed, etc, they could full block them, and almost become "invisible" to their harasser.

• Neither are. Woltlab however does. And they have made a forum for people to seek 3rd party development. Which I am doing for my own needs.

Yes, I know that you are discussing your own needs here, as well as you discussed them in a twin post, aka, redundant.

That was for requesting it to be added into the core. I got my answer, that it would be added in 4.2

This one is for a request for 3rd party development, because while that answer is pleasing, it does not fit for my own current needs in 4.1.

Those two independent forums for two different purposes. And these threads fit accordingly.

Your request was already clear in the first thread that discussed the ignore feature that you wish for. To keep posting it and call it a plugin wish, while the community is already aware of it, makes it redundant.

I see now that your intention is to TROLL.

Ouch! No need to be so hostile and accuse me of trolling, only because I point out your tendencies to be redundant. Or maybe you really didn't want to, or I'd have replied pointing out your tendencies to SPAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (11. Februar 2015 um 00:05)

• I think I understand what you're saying now. The ignored user's posts would almost become "invisible" to those that choose to ignore someone specifically, but the posts are still there, just in "hiding" to the person doing the ignoring. If the user stops ignoring user x, then user x's posts and threads become visible to them. No one is prevented from posting.

I like that idea of course, but I still think the block feature should be in enhanced though. Because if user y, ignores user x, user x could be posting abusive or harassing things on user y's profile, and user y wouldn't know it, because user x's stuff is just "hidden" and "out of sight" to them (being on ignore). Perhaps there could be a plugin made with both abilities, full block along with ignore. So it gives users many options to choose from.

Some might just want to ignore someone, not block them, but on other hand, if someone is being harassed, etc, they could full block them, and almost become "invisible" to their harasser.

Block I believe offers far to much drama on general discussion forums. And in the past it has opened the door to slander. In theory, I could block you and that would mean I could say anything I wanted about you and you would be unaware. At best you would always be several steps behind and unable to properly defend yourself. Block takes the power away from you and empowers the other guy.

While with ignore, you, yourself choose who you wish to ignore. You can choose to un-ingore as well. It does not prevent you from commenting or prevent the other person from commenting either. This allowing for better freedom of speech.

However, I do agree there have been times when I would love to block a few select people. So I will agree that it does have its place sometimes.

I would be interesting in funding a plugin that did offer both... If you, yourself would like to enter in such a venture as well. :)

• Gentlemen, keep it civil ;)

That's not a problem for me. I do however fear "someone" from "someplace else" is bringing their drama here now. So I cannot guarantee their civilizedness. But I can promise you, I'm not following someone around with the intention of criticizing them.

• Gentlemen, keep it civil ;)

I always addressed members in a civil manner and never adopted name-calling or show hostile attitude toward anybody. I guess that someone who doesn't like to be criticized and takes comments personally eventually loses it and starts throwing the T word around. It's understandable. By the way, how can someone feel he is followed around when his name is all over the board? That's amusing :D

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will

I couldn't agree more with you :)

• Block I believe offers far to much drama on general discussion forums. And in the past it has opened the door to slander. In theory, I could block you and that would mean I could say anything I wanted about you and you would be unaware. At best you would always be several steps behind and unable to properly defend yourself. Block takes the power away from you and empowers the other guy.

Not necessarily, because the one doing the blocking, is showing some "maturity" in the case, where as the one continuing to harass someone freely, is immature and needs dealt with by the staff team, it then shows that moderators and admins aren't doing their jobs properly. The same can go for a user being banned, then the harassers still talk about an individual while the "victim" has no way to defend self, but then there again, that don't say much for the staff team, to allow that behavior to continue to happen or happen in first place. But in any case, the guy doing the blocking, can show staff that he/she had blocked user x many days ago, and they were trying to be civil about it by blocking the person, while the blocked person still continues to "harass".

While with ignore, you, yourself choose who you wish to ignore. You can choose to un-ingore as well. It does not prevent you from commenting or prevent the other person from commenting either. This allowing for better freedom of speech.

True, but it's almost the same as blocking though, because you could unblock or unignore, to see what's been said about you or whatever the case is. In both cases, the ignored or blocked user's material is temporarily hidden or invisible, and only unblocking or unignoring to bring it back visible again lol.

However, I do agree there have been times when I would love to block a few select people. So I will agree that it does have its place sometimes.

Yeah, me too.

I would be interesting in funding a plugin that did offer both... If you, yourself would like to enter in such a venture as well.

If I had the spare funds, I'd do it. I posted my request long time ago, and nothing came of it. If or when I get some spare funds rounded up, I could probably go in having paid plugin created. There's a lot of good plugin authors around here, and most are concerned about privacy in general, I'm sure someone here could whip something up either free or paid.

• Not necessarily, because the one doing the blocking, is showing some "maturity" in the case, where as the one continuing to harass someone freely, is immature and needs dealt with by the staff team, it then shows that moderators and admins aren't doing their jobs properly. The same can go for a user being banned, then the harassers still talk about an individual while the "victim" has no way to defend self, but then there again, that don't say much for the staff team, to allow that behavior to continue to happen or happen in first place. But in any case, the guy doing the blocking, can show staff that he/she had blocked user x many days ago, and they were trying to be civil about it by blocking the person, while the blocked person still continues to "harass".

This is true with ignore.

But if I added you to ignore, you would still have the freedom to post. I do have 1 site in mind where freedom of speech is supreme and anything that would prevent someone from commenting would be counted as censorship (the site is named appropriately, socially uncensored). So I do understand your argument, but it wouldn't fit with my own needs.

However, there are a few other site that I do help manage that could benefit from a block function.

True, but it's almost the same as blocking though, because you could unblock or unignore, to see what's been said about you or whatever the case is.

I think we see "block" differently. By block, I mean you, yourself wouldn't be able to comment on what I posted, because I blocked you. Thus that would take the power away from you, because you cannot control the fact that I blokced you. While with ignore, you're still free to comment even if I am ignoring you.

If I had the spare funds, I'd do it. I posted my request long time ago, and nothing came of it. If or when I get some spare funds rounded up, I could probably go in having paid plugin created. There's a lot of good plugin authors around here, and most are concerned about privacy in general, I'm sure someone here could whip something up either free or paid.

I think your comments, plus what unfolded in this thread... Have made me re-think... I'll be aiming for a plugin / addon that can do either or... Allowing the administrator to decide which option will work best for their community. Ideally, when I do hire someone, I seldom go for elusive rights, so whatever is developed I'll happily have shared with the community... Thus helping everyone. :thumbup:

• This is true with ignore.

But if I added you to ignore, you would still have the freedom to post. I do have 1 site in mind where freedom of speech is supreme and anything that would prevent someone from commenting would be counted as censorship (the site is named appropriately, socially uncensored). So I do understand your argument, but it wouldn't fit with my own needs.

However, there are a few other site that I do help manage that could benefit from a block function.

Well, yes, for a uncensored site it wouldn't be proper lol. The idea of my plugin request was just to prevent and keep harassers at bay from users. Mostly the female members. It would basically act like a facebook block. Even on a site like uncensored, it should be there though too, because otherwise all users would still be "attacked", harassed, stalked, etc. It gives the victim no ability to feel safe from their harasser. The idea of my plugin was not to "deny" the harasser from posting in general forums, only deny them the ability to see a victim's profile, blog articles, gallery images, threads and posts, deny the ability to send harassing conversations etc.

Example, If Sarah posted blog article today, then John (The harasser) could comment on her blog, harassing Sarah there in comments. If Sarah posted her photos of her kids, or her herself, then John (The Harasser) could go comment her photos, making fun of her children, make dirty sexual remarks to her photos which are selfie photos. John could go to her wall, post dirty messages there, and send conversations to her as well. Sarah then is a victim to harassment, and because the site is uncensored site, Sarah has to accept and live with the policy with no way to prevent the harassment, she feels unsafe in community and leaves it, and then spreads word about this to other females, and other females also leave community.

Also, with Sarah's information fully exposed to harasser, then John could also follow her to her facebook, twitter, instagram accounts, harassing her there as well. The idea of my plugin request was to nip it in the butt from get go, blocking harassers from being able to view/see, comment, and converse with the victims. It's not to completely prevent or deny John from posting in the forums in general, just the ones he decided to target and make his victim.

I think we see "block" differently. By block, I mean you, yourself wouldn't be able to comment on what I posted, because I blocked you. Thus that would take the power away from you, because you cannot control the fact that I blokced you. While with ignore, you're still free to comment even if I am ignoring you.

Well in a sense yes, because the content just wouldn't be visible to me at all then. It's not really "denying", because it's just not visible to begin with. I wouldn't be missing anything, because I couldn't have seen it to begin with. lol. I do see what you're saying though, about taking power away. I just see it as, preventative measures to keep harassers from harassing users to point of leaving community itself, because the victim has no power either, they don't have control over their stuff and to keep a harasser at bay.

Like Sarah example above, if Sarah feels unsafe and uneasy being on the site, she'll stop posting all together, because she'll live in fear about John's harassing. I wouldn't want to post anything or upload photos or write blog entries anymore if I knew John would be all over them, leaving dirty sexual messages, sharing them on his facebook account without permission, making funny memes out of the photos, etc. Like on facebook, someone is getting perverted with someone, they block them totally, and the person can't access their profile page at all, doesn't mean that blocked person is denied from all of facebook though, just the "victim's" profile etc. At some point, the staff should intervene and stop things.

I guess it also depends on the threat level Sarah feels at the time, if someone is being perverted, sexually harassing, etc, she should have the right to block the person. If Sarah just doesn't want to see a users posts or whatever, she can just ignore them. Both options should be available to users though.

I think your comments, plus what unfolded in this thread... Have made me re-think... I'll be aiming for a plugin / addon that can do either or... Allowing the administrator to decide which option will work best for their community. Ideally, when I do hire someone, I seldom go for elusive rights, so whatever is developed I'll happily have shared with the community... Thus helping everyone.

Sounds good! :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (11. Februar 2015 um 01:48)

• how will you ignore a quote from ignored member? that is the problem

One would hope that would be included. I can think of 2 developments where that is easily done. But if that is not possible, I could settle with that as being a design flaw, given that the majority of ignore content would be weeded out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!