Change the default font size for everyone

• Alright, even Microsoft Office, Word Pad, Libre Office, ect... All use as default size 11 or 12 for easy reading. The text you are reading in this post seems to be size 10. Now that's a bit smaller than I would like. I, the author, can change my font to a larger size, but that doesn't help the reader who will see everything else in size 10 for all the people who will just accept the default in posting. And no, expecting someone to zoom in sometimes is expecting a little much... Given not everyone is tech savvy and I don't want to always have to repeat the instructions on how to do it. It's also not helpful for the random person who comes across your site.

SO how does one change the default message font? So that this text will be by default size 12 as I am now using here.

• ^ So to clarify, the default text in the editor appears to be size 10 and that is smaller than what most programs or website use as standard. I'd like to change that default for easier viewing in regards to the many posters who will likely type using the default.

• You can change the font-size in the style. You Must Override the less variable. I will Five Young the Code in some houres. I am sleppy and i hate my mobil telephone.

-- edit --
    So you can override @wcfBaseFontSize in the style for a greater font or you can add it only for the messages, then you can use the css class: messageText.
    Example:

CSS
    .messageText {
        font-size: 12pt;
    }

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Teralios (7. Februar 2015 um 09:06) aus folgendem Grund: edit with better information

• Agree also, the font size is too small for reading and writing messages with. You can however change the font-size and font-style used in the "style settings" under "Global Settings" for the style used easy without hacking any css code. The only problem I found using it though, it changes font size and style not for one area - like just text editor, but many other areas as well and think it looks a bit out of proportion in some of those other areas using it to change font-size and style. So that setting in my opinion doesn't work very well really trying to increase font-size in text editor.

I would also like to see the font-size bumped up a pixel in just the editor for both reading and writing with, a bit too small

• You can change the font-size in the style. You Must Override the less variable. I will Five Young the Code in some houres. I am sleppy and i hate my mobil telephone.

-- edit --
    So you can override @wcfBaseFontSize in the style for a greater font or you can add it only for the messages, then you can use the css class: messageText.
    Example:

CSS
    .messageText {
        font-size: 12pt;
    }

Are you using WBB 4.1 version? Because looking at "LESS Variables Override" names listed under Advanced Style settings. Well there is no @wcfBaseFontSize. And neither is there that or messageText listed in CSS either.

• So I just duplicated the default style to test this.

In the "LESS Variables Override" box I added this at very end as an extra line entry: @wcfBaseFontSize;

So now in the CSS Box above it. What do I need to enter now? As looking at other entries in it they seem to use the LESS Variables title as CSS title for entry, so I'm thinking just adding this below wouldn't work.

• .messageText {
    • font-size: 12pt;
    • }
  • OK, I figured out you don't add anything in the "LESS Variables Override" box. You only need add some extra style code to CSS Box above it, and at very end I added this.

Code
    /* custom entry */
    .messageText {
        font-size: 11pt;
    }

However, while that increases the font-size for reading message. It has no affect on changing font-size writing message with editor.

• You can change font-size for both reading and writing messages in the editor using this added extra to css.

Code
    /* custom entry */
    .messageText,
    .redactor-editor {
    font-size: 11pt;
    }

Only thing I cannot seem to get working though changing font-size. When you switch editor over to Plain BBCode mode it reverts back to small font-size and uses a different ID Class css entry instead with a content "post number" linked with the ID Class.

But that isn't much of an issue at all in BBCode mode, it even helps make both BBCode and WSSYG mode look quite different.

EDIT: Have noticed now since through testing that spoiler button text size is a little too large affected by this.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (7. Februar 2015 um 13:26)

• It would not let me add @wcfBaseFontSize; to that LESS Variables Override box like other person said do. Think there has to be more included with the code getting used, as it wouldn't save and just give an error message when trying too.

The CSS works OK, of a sort! Paragraph spacing looks a little too large, also noticed testing that the spoiler text button title is enlarged bigger also, more so than the text size displayed in other similar looking post buttons, thus making it look out of proportion.

I've ended up stopping using it because of one or two things like that. Generally too much inconsistency when looking at other things also affected by the change.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (7. Februar 2015 um 13:54)

• EDIT: Have noticed now since through testing that spoiler button text size is a little too large affected by this.

Seem to universally match to me. Size 12 as expected with all other readable text. (I used 12, not 11)

• Look at font-size now used for spoiler button title and compare it with other same styled posting buttons (text size used in them). It is now far bigger and looks out proportion. But if you revert back to using default font size again you'll see the font-size used in spoiler button matches same size used in other posting buttons.

Matter of what you want really, but to me the spoiler button text title should have remained same size. Only post content text needed to be changed in font-size, but even doing that the paragraph spacing also then looks too large to me.

You should try using 11pt instead of 12pt, I tried 12pt first and it looks HUGE

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (7. Februar 2015 um 14:14)

• Look at font-size now used for spoiler button title and compare it with other same styled posting buttons (text size used in them). It is now far bigger and looks out proportion. But if you revert back to using default font size again you'll see the font-size used in spoiler button matches same size used in other posting buttons.

Matter of what you want really, but to me the spoiler button text title should have remained same size. Only post content text needed to be changed in font-size, but even doing that the paragraph spacing also then looks too large to me.

You should try using 11pt instead of 12pt, I tried 12pt first and it looks HUGE

The spoiler button counts as readable text. Just like the text you are reading right here in my reply. So you want that to match... ie... If the text I am using is size 11, I want the word "spoiler" to also be size 11.

This is exactly what it does. So I does remain universal and uniformed. :)

As for the spacing, it changes appropriately. If I use 11 for text, I should have 11 for spacing. This is true in Microsoft Office for example.

So again, it is uniformed and exactly how it should be. :)

• Yes, I understand what you're saying. Either way though, it doesn't work for me. If your not fussed as much like I am, then don't touch any CSS and simply use style setting built-in to change font-size for theme.

The only style setting I found was the one for the built in text. I couldn't find any setting for the editor. Your CSS seems to work to resolve that. If you know of any style setting that I have missed, please let me know.

Personally, I'll use either 11 or 12 for my needs. I have more than my fair share of older folk ages 70+ on one of my site. Oldest confirmed on another site I manage is a member who is 97 (my grandpa).

• Changing that font-size for theme will affect text size used in editor. Maybe you need to delete all cache after change.

I've played around changing it before for theme and it did also change font-size used in editor. Pretty sure it did anyway?

• Changing that font-size for theme will affect text size used in editor. Maybe you need to delete all cache after change.

Actually, it does not. The default font for the default style is size 13. Yet here we are, you and I, typing in size 10.

• I don't mean here. I mean on your own forum in Admin CP under style settings for theme.

I'm not even sure how you changed it here?

EDIT: Yes, sorry, it does show 13px. But try picking a larger font-size, or changing font-family. Just test it out using a larger size and see, but do get what you mean about it saying 13px standard and only seems to use 10px in posts? But if you do play around with you'll see it will change size of text used in posts, but also affects more areas of forum as well increasing font-size

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (7. Februar 2015 um 14:42)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!