4.1 - swap report button around (make it last)

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

My members love 4.1, but there is 1 common thing they ALL keep telling me. They believe the report button is in the wrong place. Notably, they keep intuitively hitting by mistake. The general idea is we should swap the report button, making it last. This would make it more intuitive.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (5. Februar 2015 um 18:13)

• Perhaps I should have titled this, "make it first" (from my screen shots). But I personally find myself looking right to left, when looking at the controls. lol

When in doubt... Just look at the screen shot in post #1 of this thread. :P

• I think it is better to keep the quote-button at the first position because it is, as a common user, the most important button in the row. So why hide it behind the report-button? I don´t think this ist very intuitive. How often do you report a post?

• I think it is better to keep the quote-button at the first position because it is, as a common user, the most important button in the row. So why hide it behind the report-button? I don´t think this ist very intuitive. How often do you report a post?

Less often, which is exactly why you don't want it right next to the like and dislike button. You want it first, because people look at such controls from right to left, as opposed to left to right. This is because people expect the reply button and quote button to be on the far right... As it is on any other forum or even social media such as Facebook or Twitter. It's the one time in English thinking that people do look right to left, because that's how most controls are commonly laid out.

With that idea, the report button should be on the far left. And the more commonly used button on the far right.

• Less often, which is exactly why you don't want it right next to the like and dislike button. You want it first, because people look at such controls from right to left, as opposed to left to right. This is because people expect the reply button and quote button to be on the far right... As it is on any other forum or even social media such as Facebook or Twitter. It's the one time in English thinking that people do look right to left, because that's how most controls are commonly laid out.

With that idea, the report button should be on the far left. And the more commonly used button on the far right.

To extend on that idea... As you, the read, are reading this... I have a simple question for you. That question is at this very moment where is your mouse pointer on your screen? The common answer will be its on the far right. This is why forums and social media have their easy to access controls on the right side of the screen.

So ideally, this why you want the controls you use most on the far right and the ones you use least offend, such as report, further on the left. ;)

• You want it first, because people look at such controls from right to left, as opposed to left to right. This is because people expect the reply button and quote button to be on the far right...

Really? I´m reading from left to right, why shout i "read" the buttons from right to left? This makes no sense. I "read" the buttons from left to right too, so the most important button shout be the first on the left.

Whats about this:

The most important button is on the left side too.

That question is at this very moment where is your mouse pointer on your screen?

In the middle of the screen.

• Really? I´m reading from left to right, why shout i "read" the buttons from right to left? This makes no sense. I "read" the buttons from left to right too, so the most important button shout be the first on the left.

Whats about this:

The most important button is on the left side too.

In the middle of the screen.

You would be the minority.

Facebook, Twitter, Google, and Microsoft all did case studies and research on how people view the screen layout. Why do you think the reply button on your email is on the right side? The same reason most important controls such as "OK" or "Cancel" are often more on the right side.

• That question is at this very moment where is your mouse pointer on your screen? The common answer will be its on the far right.

I'm thinking in this question, but my pointer is always in the middle of the screen... In the middle of the screen I have all the information at the same distance.

• I'm thinking in this question, but my pointer is always in the middle of the screen... In the middle of the screen I have all the information at the same distance.

Don't feel bad. I'm among the minority as well... I usually have my mouse pointer on the left side of the screen. But anytime I have ever thought to question those silly case studies (when I was younger), the results on any site always favored the right side.

• Don't feel bad. I'm among the minority as well... I usually have my mouse pointer on the left side of the screen. But anytime I have ever thought to question those silly case studies (when I was younger), the results on any site always favored the right side.

I suppose you are talking about Fitts's law and other similar studies, yes? (I'm not a expert).

• I suppose you are talking about Fitts's law and other similar studies, yes? (I'm not a expert).

I guess you would / could include that as well. But independently, there have been marketing studies done that further back it up. But yes, more or less they do surround human behavior.

It's why the reply and post button is commonly accepted and understood that it will be on the right side. People see such controls right to left. Ironically, most designers view things left to right (just as you would read something).

I'm not an expert either. I just know what the results have been for the past 40+ years. And I know my members have already complained about mistakenly hitting the report button... Which seems to further backup those results.

• It's why the reply and post button is commonly accepted and understood that it will be on the right side. People see such controls right to left. Ironically, most designers view things left to right (just as you would read something).

A little offtopic...

When Microsoft announced Metro and Tiles in Windows 8, the explanation was the Fitts's law. Now, in Windows 10, the start menu is again available. It is very curious, the study says a Metro interfaz is more useful and intuitive, but the customers don't like this. (personally I prefer the start menu :D )

• A little offtopic...

When Microsoft announced Metro and Tiles in Windows 8, the explanation was the Fitts's law. Now, in Windows 10, the start menu is again available. It is very curious, the study says a Metro interfaz is more useful and intuitive, but the customers don't like this. (personally I prefer the start menu :D )

Microsoft never correctly applied Fitts Law, which if they had, would have included the understanding of commonality. Thus, today they're frantically add it back and even giving Windows 10 for free to almost everyone, just to make up for that loss and error in judgment.

Commonality would continue to dictate that people expect and accept X to be the norm and to change away from that goes against not only conscious thinking, but subconscious thinking as well. Subconsciously, people fall into pasterns and do what is intuitive without review and without extensive thought.

This is why the reply button on Twitter, Facebook, and even your email has such important things on the right side. People subconsciously just blindly go there without reading what the button say or putting any further thought.

• This was suggested before and was then labeled "Won't Be Implemented". But I would rather see something like this instead, which might help make things easier. The post moderator tools to the left side, less important tools start from the far left, and work right. All post enhancements, general features to far right side, like in screen shot below. This helps keep the moderator type tools out of the way unless really needed. Also, they all display like normal when hovering over the post footer area.

• This was suggested before and was then labeled "Won't Be Implemented". But I would rather see something like this instead, which might help make things easier. The post moderator tools to the left side, less important tools start from the far left, and work right. All post enhancements, general features to far right side, like in screen shot below. This helps keep the moderator type tools out of the way unless really needed. Also, they all display like normal when hovering over the post footer area.

That would have been awesome.

• @Smooey I have to ask... Is that only photoshop or did you, yourself figure away to do that?

Because at the moment, I'm having a hard time just doing this
    How to change the button display order?

That was done in photoshop. I'm not sure if it can be done easily, you would most likely have to edit or adjust core files (Template adjustments), unless someone makes a plugin for it (if that's even possible, I'm not sure?). I don't remember seeing any plugins made for this before, but I could have overlooked it. :/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!