App/page directories in urls

• In 2.0/4.0 apps/pages have the following structure.

domain.com/gallery/gallery/
    domain.com/blog/blog/
    domain.com/board-list/
    domain.com/members-list/

I was told that 2.1/4.1 will allow the changing of them to.

domain.com/photos/
    domain.com/blog/
    domain.com/forum/
    domain.com/personals/

I'm now playing with the beta and I'd like to obtain the relevant apache rewrite code to do such a thing please.

Thanks very much
    Dave.

• Nope.

You install into /gallery/ the system creates /gallery/gallery/ for the startpage URL.

Same for other apps.

The only way to fix the URL issues in woltlab is via their co-operation, which it seems was implemented in the new version as requested by the member-base here but we need custom apache rewrite rules!?

• just setting up a beta forum as well and noticed this ugly urls.. would love to get rid of them!

• Bump :0

Maybe i didnt say please enough?

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,please, please, please, please.

• I'm using this for rewrites running forum only, but this wouldn't cover also running add-ons.

Apache Configuration
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^([a-z]+)/([^/]+/)?$ index.php?$1/$2 [L,QSA]
    </IfModule>

I thought though you could rename the APP page from Admin CP.. Would changing Dashboard to another name not change URL structure. What you could do maybe with Blog or Gallery to get rid off: gallery/gallery

No idea if that would work affecting it?

• @Throwholics
    Isn't it possible to install these things in/to a specific location - you have to set the installation path ... so ... ? :D

I think you can during the install of the APP. Choose a different install NAME location. Not sure though.

But even if you can, that is something you're going to have to be thinking ahead about already knowing the URL structure that will get used if not doing that. Not something most people installing the APP for first time will be aware off/or even think about.

• I thought though you could rename the APP page from Admin CP.. Would changing Dashboard to another name not change URL structure.

That's just how the menu item is labeled, the URL actually points to the frontend controller which should be invoked.

Alexander Ebert
    Senior Developer WoltLab® GmbH

• My best guess @Alexander Ebert is that you did not implement the ability to remove these stupid double folders and weird root page names.

Actually I made a whole bunch of changes to the routing system of WCF 2.1 which aim to prevent outputting controller names if they can be implicitly assumed due to their state as primary controllers. woltlab.com is a good example, the blog displays as https://blog.woltlab.com out-of-the-box.

Alexander Ebert

• The routing system is capable of aliasing controllers, in fact you can go crazy with the URLs as long as there is a way to draw a connection between the URL and the actual controller. Yet this is nothing our software offers, but can be achieved with a simple plugin.

Also starting with WCF 2.1 it should drop the /boardlist/ component, so that isn't really much of a big deal.

Alexander Ebert

• Yeah, in 4.1 beta 4, I've installed the Calendar, Gallery, and Blog into short urls right off the bat, as such:
    domain.com/blog/
    domain.com/gallery/
    domain.com/calender/

Then in .htaccess file I added the following..

Which drops the "?" from the url, and then I forced lowercase letters for text in url. The only thing "missing" is the ability to do hyphens in the urls. Which is now planned for 4.1. :)

With 4.0 SEO plugin though, if you chose the lowercase option, disable index.php, it does make the hyphens in the urls out of the box. With the following below here for htaccess rules. This below is for the 4.0 stuff, not 4.1.

Edited 3 times, last by Smooey ().

• Aliasing controllers is possible in theory, but once again this ability is not a feature, but a side-effect caused by the flexibility of the entire route system.

Long story short: Renaming/Aliasing controllers is not planned for 4.1.

Alexander Ebert

• I've said more than once, a URL rewrite system in the core of the software (or official plugin developed by Woltlab) would be a perfect detail for WBB.

I'm spanish and for my users and for SEO are more usefull URLs like www.domain.es/tema/{id}-{title}/ (thread), www.domain.es/foro/{id}-{title}/ (board), www.domain.es/equipo/ (team).