New Features in WoltLab Blog 2.1: User-Blogs

Team Up!

Users are given the choice to add additional authors, where each of them can actively participate in this blog by writing or editing articles.

Better Insight and Interaction

Each blog is granted an own overview page showing articles within this blog and listing participating authors. The sidebar contains a new archive box which groups articles by year and month.

Your users can subscribe to each blog, causing them to be notified whenever a new article is published.

Highlight Featured Blogs

The global blog page will feature a short list of user blogs, prioritizing blogs marked as "Featured" by a moderator. Right below is a button leading to a list of all user blogs with the ability to filter them by arbitrary criteria.

Comments 13

^ Should expand on this and say that because they only have 1 blog entry (post) displayed (on the index) and it is only a featured entry... That is where my concern comes.

It helps if you are specific. If you just dump links and say "This should be like that", then misunderstandings are about to happen

I was being descriptive when I said, "all the blog post should be on the blog index". I don't know how much more descriptive I could be.

You can configure the amount of blog entries/articles shown on the index page in the ACP . WoltLab have set it to "1" here, but you can set that to whatever value you like. So you can easily set it to match the amount of articles shown on the entry list (take a look at cls-design.com/blog/index.php/Blog/, they use Community Blog 2.0).

My concern is this has changed in Blog 2.1 and that only featured blog are on the blog index. If I could set it to something like 30 or 50, without the featured taking over, that would be OK.

I'm not worried about the infinite scroll. Worried that on the index, only featured will be shown.

It helps if you are specific. If you just dump links and say "This should be like that", then misunderstandings are about to happen

You can configure the amount of blog entries/articles shown on the index page in the ACP . WoltLab have set it to "1" here, but you can set that to whatever value you like. So you can easily set it to match the amount of articles shown on the entry list (take a look at http://www.cls-design.com/blog/index.php/Blog/, they use Community Blog 2.0).

If you really want to move the site and get rid of the index altogether, you can customize the header menu to link directly to the entry list instead of the index.

To be honest I haven't found anything on your site - except the dynamic scrolling and the tag display inside the entry list (oh, and on the entry page the "blog roll") - that is not either already possible with Community Blog 2.0 or will be with Community Blog 2.1.

So yeah, I'm serious about it.

What exactly do you mean?

Seriously? I'm not sure what part of "everyones blog post (entry) is on the blog index" that you do not understand.

I assume, what I'm trying to imply is this

https://blog.woltlab.com/entrylist/

Should be here
https://blog.woltlab.com

And it would have been idea to have featured blogs either as a "blog sticky"

What exactly do you mean?

I see two things there:
Infinite scrolling through the blog entries (or articles) in the "Recent Entries" box on the left and on the right a sidebar box with "New blogs". What exactly are you referring to when saying "everyones blogs is on the index"?

I doubt that you will see the infinite scrolling thing in Community Blog, as I have already found a serious issue with it on your site: You can not reach the footer menu with the Terms & Rules and Privacy Policiy, which is the first serious problem, and the fact that you can never reach the footer also means that you can never see the copyright notice, essentially removing it. At WoltLab, you'd need the Branding Free License to make the copyright note invisible.

Scratch the above, you can in fact scroll down to the bottom at your site. But you don't get all blog entries, it only seems to load the first 100. You can probably set the number at the same value in community blog. Although they won't get loaded dynamically via AJAX.

The blog index shows 5 featured blogs by default. If there are no featured blogs it will list the last updated blogs.

I need to make my switch to feel alike an UPGRADE and NOT a downgrade. People are going to expect to be able to see all the blogs on the blogs index, such as this

http://sociallyuncensored.eu

^ When you visit there, you will notice everyone's blog is on the blog index.

When you announced feature blogs, I imagined blogs that would be a sticky on top. Not a replacement of the index. I don't see replacing the index as an improvement and I've asked 14 of my members, they agree.

The blog index shows 5 featured blogs by default. If there are no featured blogs it will list the last updated blogs.

There is no such setting. But it's possible to edit the "blog" menu item and link it directly to the blog list.

This is not good news. :(

What do you mean by edit?
What if I have no plans to have feature blogs? What then is shown on the blog index?

There is no such setting. But it's possible to edit the "blog" menu item and link it directly to the blog list.

I'm wondering if there is an option that would allow us to display everyone's blog on the index?

?(?(

I'm a little concerned (by a little, I really mean A LOT) about the blog index. I see on the blog main page, you only have the features blogs

https://blog.woltlab.com/

On my site, all the users are greeted right away with their blogs

Shown here http://sociallyuncensored.eu/blogs/ In fact I use that as our homepage.

I'm wondering if there is an option that would allow us to display everyone's blog on the index? I'm hoping yes, because without it this would be pointless for me.

This is a good a start. Very curious to see what other things you have planned. I've been watching the suggestion forum like crazy.

Great addition, my users will love it.

But, can you set blog posts to be moderated for untrusted users?

Can you set blog comments to be moderated for untrusted users?

Seems like more spam issues that are difficult to manage unfortunately.