2.1 user search - New tick box. Why?

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

https://community.woltlab.com/usersearch

Can someone explain this change to me please. Possibly... @Alexander Ebert

In the new version you now must tick a box to enable search filters, before it was automatic. No selection and it was ignored and vice versa.

This must have been changed for a reason, but for the life of me I cant figure it out.

It's really bad for the user experience, i have a very member focused site and 30+ filters. My users are expected to tick each one every-time they search?

Many thanks,

• To accommodate what I would think is an extreme minority whom are looking for empty fields you now annoy almost every user using the search for it main purpose ie: to find people who are X, NOT null.

Why would I want to find users who have no location, it defeats the point of searching. I'm searching to filter based on criteria, null is not a criteria.

If i do not care about location, rather than searching for null only I would just search all, which the current system allows.

Bit short sighted that decision. The logic doesn't really add up enough to make such a bold change that is basically alienating most everyday users.

I hope it is easy to revert it?

• Why would I want to find users who have no location, it defeats the point of searching. I'm searching to filter based on criteria, null is not a criteria.

Actually, null or empty string is a perfetctly valid value. Just to be clear on terms, a criteria would be e.g. "Location", while "London" would be a value for that criteria. So null or empty string is certainly not a valid criteria, but a perfectly valid value for criteria.

Zitat

I hope it is easy to revert it?

You can simply change the template so that boxes are hidden (invisible) and always checked. Then it's basically back to status quo.

But I agree, having to check those boxes beforehand might not be the best solution. A simple yet very effective enhancement could be that when a user clicks on the text field, the checkbox gets automatically ticked, and the text field enabled. That would improve user experience a lot. (/edit: cut that. Different browsers obviously handle event on disabled inputs very differently. Some propagate the event up the DOM tree, some don't).

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Netzwerg (23. Dezember 2014 um 19:22)

• Suggestion: Empty field is ignored, Filled field is used as filter and, and that's the clue, if you tick the box you want to search for empty fields / null.

Doesn't bug the majority of the users AND includes those who want to search for null. Seriously, I don't want to check any box at all when I use the search because searching should be quick. The software should encourage users to use the search, not make them avoid it. Instead (or additionally), you could implement an improved parser which reacts to certain search queries like "search query" location:none -anotherquery
    Which would actually search for "search query" only, not "search" or "query" and excluding "anotherquery" and only give results of users or authors or whatever whos location is set to null, empty, what so ever. :)

• Instead (or additionally), you could implement an improved parser which reacts to certain search queries like "search query" location:none -anotherquery

Which would actually search for "search query" only, not "search" or "query" and excluding "anotherquery" and only give results of users or authors or whatever whos location is set to null, empty, what so ever.

That shooting ducks with cannons. You should know how complex such a thing easily becomes in the implementation.

Zitat

Suggestion: Empty field is ignored, Filled field is used as filter and, and that's the clue, if you tick the box you want to search for empty fields / null.

This is exactly what I had in mind, too. It should be possible to do that with a custom template and some JS magic. Basically all you need to do is to enable all fields by default, tick all the boxes by default and hide them, create new boxes and listen via EL to them and always set the hidden boxes to the inverse of the visible ones.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the layout, since imho those checkboxes would better be placed on the same line as the input field. Have to check that out.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!