Extend ignore

• We have some stuff in our minds which aims to allow a user to temporarily override the block to be able to see blocked content. For example posts in a thread would appear collapsed, hiding it at a first glance but the user could click on that post to view it content. This way a user can decide if he/she wants to view the content in order to be able to follow the entire discussion. It's intended to be a balance between blocking and still be able to follow a thread if the user wishes to.

It's a very good idea. :)

• Quote from Atlantis: “We have some stuff in our minds which aims to allow a user to temporarily override the block to be able to see blocked content. For example posts in a thread would appear collapsed, hiding it at a first glance but the user could…

It is... I just wish we didn't have to wait until 4.2 which will not be released until end of 2015 or early 2016 ... ie... About a year.

• It is... I just wish we didn't have to wait until 4.2 which will not be released until end of 2015 or early 2016 ... ie... About a year.

Yes... but I like to see the glass half full and If the suggestion is in the roadmap is good news. Other good suggestions (in my opinion) are not so lucky.

• So you are actually waiting for 4.2 now?!

I think you misunderstood. I'll still be going to 4.1, but will have an addon developed to simulate 4.2's ignore feature, which should hold me over until it is finally in the core.

So to answer your question, no, I'm not going to wait.

(Although my co-partner keep talking about vBulletin. Yikes!)

• Offizieller Beitrag

This will be implemented with 2.2 to some extent.

Blocking a user will not filter out their content, but instead fade them out to be barely present (but visible on hover). Messages are treated a bit different as they will collapse into a small notice, but can be fully revealed by clicking on that notice.

This is entirely done using the special CSS classes ignoredUserContent and ignoredUserMessage (messages only) and thus opens up the opportunity for site administrators to customize the appearance. It is even possible to hide ignored content from view with something like .ignoredUserContent, .ignoredUserMessage { display: none !important; }.

All though we can understand the motivation behind completely filtering out content, there are a few reasons that speak strongly against that:

• Simply removing them from the view will cause less items to be displayed, e.g. the list of threads suddenly contains only 18 threads because 2 were hidden. This is even more noticeable with boxes that display far less content such as sidebar boxes.
    • Completely filtering out their content when retrieving the data from database would be the most consistent way, but unfortunately has a significant performance impact in some cases. While the impact is negligible on smaller sites, larger sites would encounter an increased performance demand up until significant slower response times. Furthermore we consider this a bad practice in terms of usability, because it might be sometimes required to show a hidden post to understand the entire thread. Completely removing the messages would harm the user experience in this case.
  • Will there be any abstraction regarding the blocking functionality for developers (e.g. an object type definition)?
    As an user is it possible to choose between blocking communication (Conversations) and hiding the blocked user's content?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will there be any abstraction regarding the blocking functionality for developers (e.g. an object type definition)?

There is no need for such an abstraction layer, as it as simple as adding this to relevant containers: class="foo bar{if $__wcf->getUserProfileHandler()->isIgnoredUser($userIDofContent)} ignoredUserContent{/if}"

As an user is it possible to choose between blocking communication (Conversations) and hiding the blocked user's content?

There is no distinction, keep in mind that content is not actually removed from view, but only dimmed out/hidden until click.

• Not liking the idea of fading posts out, they can still be read I guess even when faded and having mouse hover on post highlight for reading is just as bad. Because you can hover mouse over a post by accident. Don't know why you don't do same as said for topics, you show a notice you need click to read post so it remains hidden proper.

I really don't see how fading posts out and using mouse hover to read them solves the problem at hand? It just sounds like some fancy way of doing things to be different that isn't going to work

• Fading them out isn't ignoring the users you want to ignore, and it won't affect thread flow by using "display:none;" in the core from the get go. Shouldn't have to be handled by users to add CSS classes. Suggestions were made how users want and or need it, if those aren't met it will only keep English sales from being made. It's not all users affected by this feature, it's only those using ignore feature. If users want to read content of those ignored, to see what they might have said, they could just temporarily unignore the user and view content, then put them back on ignore.

It also won't fully remove posts from the database, just from the view of only those using extended ignore. Need to stop thinking what's best for the users, by doing what you think is best (for you). That's like POWs wanting fresh water to drink, but their captors think it's best to include Flouride (which dumbs them down, makes them docile/controllable, poisons them etc) in the water.

And if users want to ignore users and not see their content, that's what they want, and have to live with the fact that thread flow is off a little. No point taking suggestions if not doing what's asked/suggested, or doing it half-assly. It's like the full block I'd love to see, if it doesn't really "full block" anything/anyone but only fades it out, then it's not a "full block". It's like putting foggy windows in to replace clear glass windows, you'll still see the shit outside, just shittier than before, and it's still there lol

Whole point of ignore/full block, is to NOT see their crap at all, don't want to know/see they're there posting and trying to cause drama or harass you. If it's faded out, it's just enticing you to look at it anyway and just knowing the person's there is upsetting.

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (26. April 2016 um 20:47)

• I posted this suggested change on my forum to a user who had somebody on ignore there and complained how it works now. I posted this suggested change mentioned and this was their response to it. I had to agree about the "post fading" with them.

Zitat

And here it is again. Why don't they make a proper ignore feature instead of this asinine way?

That is why I will never use WBB. I like the software, but, for my use it will never work. Many of my users use the ignore feature and losing it will mean the end of my community.

Now Bob who wrote that has been running forums for over 30 years, he's used every paid forum software. He ain't some newbie to running forums like myself, and we both think same way. That this does not offer a proper solution to ignore users. Nobody is saying remove the posts from threads - just hide them showing a notice instead. But one that needs be clicked to be read so no mistakes are made reading it using mouse hover, or you're able to make out and read some faded text.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (26. April 2016 um 20:51)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hold on a second, there are two different modes:

• List content (e.g. thread list, recent activities, etc) will get faded out.
    • Messages (e.g. forum posts) will collapse into a single-line message showing absolutely nothing from the content, but display the entire message on explicit click
  • Well that is different then. We both on my forum reading what was said before thought it sounded like posts in topics was going to be using faded out with mouse hover. If you're saying only thread list and what is displayed on Recent Activities is only being greyed out. Then there's been some confusion on our part understanding how this is working then.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!