New Features in Burning Board 4.1: All The Little Things (Part 1)

Inheriting user group colors in threads

Every user group can be set to display their members with a custom formatting including colorization, this setting will now be inherited in the message sidebars, e.g. posts and conversations.

Notice on cookie usage

According to the EU directive 2009/136/EG websites are required to inform visitors on their cookie usage. Once a visitor accesses your site on the first time, they will be presented a notice leading to an information page shipped with Burning Board 4.1. We have added an option to disable this notice in case your website is not affected by the aforementioned directive.

Compact display for code bbcode boxes

Code bbcode boxes are pretty handy in terms of visualization and syntax highlighting but often tend to be rather huge. Their default behavior has been changed to automatically hide potions once the contained code exceeds 10 lines, clicking on the "Show All" will expand the box to its full height.

Improved recent activity dashboard box

The dashboard box for recent activities automatically applies a filter for followed users, hiding activities from unrelated users. Starting with Burning Board 4.1 users can toggle this filter at any time, the selection will be remembered.

Improved display of profiles with limited access

Limiting access to your own profile is part of your privacy, but in the past this resulted in a (rather ugly) generic "Access Denied" error message. We have changed this behavior to display the normal profile page with the exception that all data which falls under your privacy will be hidden.

Visual marking for banned users

We have reintroduced the well-known lock icon in Burning Board 4.1 to visually indicate banned users.

Privacy Policy

We have included a full privacy policy with Burning Board 4.1 which covers most cases, but depending on your jurisdiction it may require manual adjustments.

Simplified filtering threads by language

Being able to run content languages side by side is one of the greatest abilities of Burning Board. Threads are always marked with a flag to indicate the content language and can now be clicked on to filter the thread list by that language.

Message numbers

Message numbers can be useful to quickly reference a post and Burning Board 4.1 reintroduces them in the upper right corner of a message.

Configure all the share buttons

The share buttons now offer user-based settings for each social media provider, enabling users to enable/disable the specific share ability. Turning them off will also prevent any communication with the remote service.

Comments 10

Great thanks, I overlooked that one.

%s represents the user name in this pattern ;)

You can set it in the User group settings

Just add something like this:

HTML
<span style="color: #ff0000;">%s</span>

The new colour option Inheriting user group colors in threads
I assume I need to add that in the CSS or is there an menu option for that?

I just installed WCF 2.1 again and had a look at the privacy policy.
There is nothing mentioned about Twitter/Facebook etc.

Within the plugin Datenschutzerklärung
of Softcreatr it is mentioned and one can select Twitter, Facebook, Google, Adsense, Google Analytics etc...

Is it not needed for the US law?
Or is it within the text without mentioning the social networks?

Improved display of profiles with limited access

Limiting access to your own profile is part of your privacy, but in the past this resulted in a (rather ugly) generic "Access Denied" error message. We have changed this behavior to display the normal profile page with the exception that all data which falls under your privacy will be hidden.

And it even uses the phrasing that I suggested, sweet!

At least I can edit it to fit our needs (our site is govern by Finland)

That sounds perfect Alex. Thanks for letting me know. Especially since I do not need the German but the English one for my project.
:thumbup:

@lycra The English version of the privacy policy is even longer than the German one, the screenshot is for illustration purposes and shows only a potion. The German privacy policy is targeting Germany (should apply for Austria as well), whereas the English version is based upon the US law which is a lot different, while some things don't apply, others need to be taken care of.

i do have a question to the privacy policy.
It seems to be a different version as the German one.

Is there any specific reason for that?
Or is jsut the screenshot not showing the full content of the privacy policy?

The German version also includes Facebook (maybe even twitter etc.) but the English one doesnt?