Read Direct Messages / Lesen Sie direkte Nachrichten

• I know this may be controversial for some people. But this is a requirement in some places in the world. It can also help you prevent people from using your site for illegal contents such as waze or torrents (as was the case once on one of my sites).

Lets not debate if this should or should not be developed. If this is something you will never want or use, that is fine. I can understand and truly respect that. :)

But for those of us who may need it, I would like to have this developed.

Ich weiß, das kann kontrovers für einige Menschen. Aber das ist eine Anforderung an einigen Stellen in der Welt. Es kann auch helfen, verhindern, dass Menschen mit Ihrer Website für illegale Inhalte wie Waze oder Torrents (wie es der Fall einmal auf einer meiner Seiten).

Lasst uns nicht zu diskutieren, wenn dies sollte oder nicht entwickelt werden. Ist dies etwas, werden Sie nie wollen oder Verwendung, ist das in Ordnung. Ich kann verstehen und wirklich respektieren. :)

Aber für diejenigen von uns, die es brauchen können, würde Ich mag, um diese entwickelt haben.

• If you really ever feel the need of reading conversations you can just take a look into the database. The table wcf1_conversation should be what you're searching for. It contains all conversations and their messages.

• I think a scan for links, attachments or special keywords would be a better option.
    (If something is detected -> (silently) inform admin)

Content would be important. In order to get around my anti spam filters they were using the following

e x a m p l e d o t i l

e*x*a*m*p*l*e*D*O*T*c*n

e_x_a_m_p_l_e @ r-u

So I really would need to be able to read the content and not just scan for links or special keywords

• I am already working on a solution for this problem.

My current plan is to have a set of filters that can be used to inform the admin of problematic contents of conversations. Those rules can be defined in the ACp. The notification itself does not reveal the actual contents of the message, but only the partial contents that were matched.

Then the admin will be able to view the whole conversation message - but only that message. Reading the whole conversation will require another click. This way it is ensured that as much privacy is preserved as possible while giving the admin both a way to actively search conversations and be notified about potential problems as well as reading conversations.

The plugin will be available through the store at a later date, possibly only with WBB 4.1 (I will have to check with my employer if I can get this out earlier). But, I can not stress this enough: Reading private content is illegal in germany (listen to this, it's a great source: http://www.law-podcasting.de/d…achrichten-der-user-lesen), and possibly other countries as well. Check your countries laws carefully before using this plugin. There will be big warning boxes reminding you that you invade the privacy of your users and should consider all consequences.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Are you using regular expressions for the filters?

• Are you using regular expressions for the filters?

Yes, although they will not be directly exposed to users. My current plan is to have a textarea where you can input search terms with * as wildcard, similar to what you can use for reserved usernames etc.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• I feel as though someone has backed out of this. And their reasoning seems to be invalid.

- removed -

I spoke with our legal department and they confirmed this only applied if your customer lives in The EU. Hi, from America. So this means that if you sell something to someone in America, no you do not need to pay their tax. America after all is not part of The EU (Has someone changed the map?).

Of course what my lawyers forward me is often in legalese, but I find this news posting (The Guardian) keeps it really simple and confirms what my legal department has forward me. Selling to an American does not mean you have to pay American tax. :)
    http://www.theguardian.com/sma…threaten-micro-businesses

However, if you really, really... Want to keep it within The EU and pay more tax (cannot imagine why), you could also ring up the sale not as Adam Howard, but as Socially Uncensored ( @Jane ) which is registered in Finland.

The choice is yours. ;)

However... I may need a new developer assuming this one is backing out.

• I spoke with our legal department and they confirmed this only applied if your customer lives in The EU. Hi, from America. So this means that if you sell something to someone in America, no you do not need to pay their tax. America after all is not part of The EU (Has someone changed the map?).

This is correct, there are no taxes for non-EU customers. No VAT, no problems :)