Move post to blog and blog to post

• App
    WoltLab Suite Blog

There has been a few moments when I felt a blog post should have been a thread (forum post). For example, one of my members used their blog to post a single 1 line support question. This is something I would have loved to have moved out of the blogs and into the support forum.

Equally, there have been post made that members later thought would have done better as a blog.

It would be very good if you could transfer the content when needed.

• Yeah, I had some of those situations myself, too.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Yeah, I had some of those situations myself, too.

Just experienced this today...

I have 1 troublesome member who likes to make a fuss about his computer issues and while we it is outside the scope of our support to be fixing people's computer problems, he still makes that fuss as if it was our site's problem....

Regardless, support concern the site belongs in the support forum and he likes to post things on our homepage within the blogs. It would be ever so nice to be able to move such blog entries out of the blogs and into the support forums, rather than simply deleting them.

• I agree that it'd be really useful to have the ability to bring or start a discussion in forum from Blog posts. In fact, I found myself needing this today. A member of my forum posted a nice review article that stirred people's interest and sparked up a lively discussion, which sadly only took place below the article through comments. While I do appreciate that users can comment on articles, I'd rather have the ability to discuss articles in a sensible section in forum in its own thread.

I hope this will be implemented ;)

• Calendar plugin has this optional package which is installed separately, the "calendar event threads" package, which it installs and allows events from specific calendar categories to create threads in specific set forum. I think Blog should have this as well. Sometimes I think if users create "events" within the forum itself, but it's better suited for Calendar, a staff member could move the forum thread/post to calendar event category. I guess the same could be for a forum thread or post that might be better suited as blog article, staff could move the forum thread or post into blog article within certain blog categories.

Forum Thread/Post => Blog Article (within blog category of choice). Forum or post title, could become the blog article title, the forum thread or post content, becomes the blog article content.

Blog Article => Forum Thread/Post (within forum of choice). Blog article title, could become forum thread/post title, the blog article content could become the forum thread/post content.

So there's forward or backward usability there.

• Yes. I used this feature rather effectively in the now discontinued voolia News-system plugin. It was so simple to link a newly created news article to a forum of your own choice, and let the addon create a new thread whenever a new article was posted. This increased discussions and content creation. I do wish Blog addon allowed the same.

• Personally, I tend to ignore blog articles unless it's helpful or useful information from site owners or developers. I generally hit the "mark all read" icon for blog articles, so I never see them, unless I really need to find something helpful. I think it would help boost activity, user discussions, etc if it created threads/posts. Then everyone can see it in forum as thread/post, like it, carry long discussions about the topic in articles within forums. It's hard to have lengthy discussions in blog article comments. Comments are nice though of course, for the general little "i agree with your blog article, nicely done!" quick remarks, but not to carry on lengthy discussions, which I think Blog article threads would be better for. Also could help boost viewing in general to the blog articles and gain more "followers" to your blogs, by having the articles within threads or posts, that would obviously get seen / noticed more in general.

• I think Blog article threads would be better for.

This is spot on and exactly why we need this feature implemented. For instance, in my forum Blog is a section where a few selected and informed reviewers belonging to a group called "Contributors" posts reviews and hands-on tests. These are lengthy and informative posts, which often trigger a discussion, but that usually requires either long back and forth in the comments below that aren't easy to follow when there are several, or manually create a new thread that relates to the article. Both solutions aren't optimal. I agree with you: the forum is the better place where to continue discussions related to blog posts/articles, and it'd be awesome if the addon would create new threads automatically. Life would me so much easier :P

• For my own use... I have a few folks who never visit the forums and stick only to the blogs, which is my homepage.

And I would rather keep support issues in the support forum and not have their issue plastered on the homepage. So it would be nice to move that blog out of the blogs and into the support forums.

Likewise, there has been a few things that I would like to move out of the forums and into the blogs.

• Calendar plugin has this optional package which is installed separately, the "calendar event threads" package, which it installs and allows events from specific calendar categories to create threads in specific set forum. I think Blog should have this as well. Sometimes I think if users create "events" within the forum itself, but it's better suited for Calendar, a staff member could move the forum thread/post to calendar event category. I guess the same could be for a forum thread or post that might be better suited as blog article, staff could move the forum thread or post into blog article within certain blog categories.

Forum Thread/Post => Blog Article (within blog category of choice). Forum or post title, could become the blog article title, the forum thread or post content, becomes the blog article content.

Blog Article => Forum Thread/Post (within forum of choice). Blog article title, could become forum thread/post title, the blog article content could become the forum thread/post content.

So there's forward or backward usability there.

:thumbup:

I would be perfectly happy with this being an alternative, optional modification. So this isn't something that needs to be added to the core of Woltlab Blogs... Just as the calendar plugin was an optional addon for people who needed it.

• I would be perfectly happy with this being an alternative, optional modification. So this isn't something that needs to be added to the core of Woltlab Blogs... Just as the calendar plugin was an optional addon for people who needed it.

I agree. There was times when I wasn't sure if I actually needed that or not, and so I removed it. But then later after thinking long and hard about it, I searched for it and reinstalled it again later. As optional package, it's better because you don't have to uninstall the whole Calendar to add or remove it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!