Random Thoughts & chat

• You've been told the solution though Adam, downgrade your DB version to one before (the one you use now) until a new upgrade version is released. The problem seems to be with the current DB version you use.

That is not a solution. I also do not believe that is accurate, as it affects only WoltLab. It is also not possible for me to do.

• I'm pretty sure, you can use Google by yourself ;)

I have. I have found no results. In using the link you provided earlier...

Your Google link does not show any major development facing this issue except for a few obscure 3rd party custom coding. Of course Google results are often customized to the user... So in good faith...

Please show me any major development currently facing this issue.

In regards to forum software IPB, XenForo, vBulletin, phpBB, WordPress, ect... Does not have this issue. Only WoltLab.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (4. September 2015 um 02:49)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

see, when the database server crashes or drops the connection it cannot be a bug in the software that connects to the database. That would be an absolute security nightmare. Following the thread the issue occurs with a very specific version of MariaDB. If changing the MariaDB version fixes the issue, it's a bug in MariaDB, because they broke something.

There was something similar with Samsung SSDs and the Linux Kernel not too long before. After a Firmware Upgrade of the SSD the TRIM command would be unusable for anything running Linux. What happened? Linux supports (as the only operating system) the so-called Queued TRIM which offers better performance. After the Firmware Upgrade the SSD claimed that it supports Queued TRIM, but in reality it did not, leading to issues with Linux:

Old Samsung Firmware New Samsung Firmware Other SSDs
    Windows Works Works Works
    Linux Works Broken Works

Is the issue in Linux or in the new Samsung Firmware? :)

Now replace „Linux“ with „Burning Board“, „Windows“ with „XenForo“, „Old Samsung Firmware“ with „Old MariaDB“, „New Samsung Firmware“ with „New MariaDB“ and „Other SSDs“ with „MySQL“. Is the issue in Burning Board or in the new MariaDB version?

• If changing the MariaDB version fixes the issue, it's a bug in MariaDB, because they broke something.

That's a very backward way of thinking. No development is an island. It is possible for your software, just as any software to becoming incompatible to a newer version.

Windows for example. It's not Microsoft Windows fault that my old copy of Black & White (game) doesn't work in the latest Windows 10. That would be the developer's job to support the game in Windows 10, not for Microsoft.

In this case, you have MariaDB which has updated. It is completely compatible without issue in vBulletin, IP.Board, XenForo, phpBB, WordPress, and more. It isn't their job to make sure WoltLab work.

• But it's their job to make sure that queries that conform to the SQL standard work.

Well everyone else is confirming to standards and they work.

IP.Board
    XenForo
    vBulletin
    phpBB
    WordPress

This list goes on and on. No other major development is having this issue. And everyone here seems to be unable to explain exactly what it is about WoltLab that is different?!

Let's keep this in support.
    Incompatibility with MariaDB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi

Well everyone else is confirming to standards and they work.

you've got it backwards. MariaDB commited to provide a database server which can be accessed via SQL. Therefore it is the provider of the API. The softwares are all consumers of this API, but sending proper SQL queries. Burning Boards sends proper SQL queries, therefore it fulfilled it's side of the contract.

I cannot reproduce the issue locally within my Docker environment, for that matter. So I cannot comment on why MariaDB keeps dropping the connection. I suspect it being related to Burning Board being the only software to use real prepared statements, as it crashes during the preparation phase of the queries.

• you've got it backwards

I don't think I do and I think you maybe unintentionally ignoring the obvious.

• MariaDB + IP.Board = Works
    • MariaDB + vBulletin = Works
    • MariaDB + XenForo = Works
    • MariaDB + WoltLab Burning Board = Fails.
    • MariaDB + phpBB = Works
    • MariaDB + WordPress = Works

You and everyone else is using that API and only WoltLab has this issue.

I suspect it being related to Burning Board being the only software to use real prepared statements, as it crashes during the preparation phase of the queries.

Can you be more specific? I don't think all the other developments are using unreal, fake, or incorrect statements.

• Random thought...

Sometimes... Only sometimes... And by sometimes, I mean rarely and by rarely I mean almost never...But sometimes... I want to scream,

"My logic is undeniable!"

Especially when I'm telling folks 2 + 2 = 4, but the world wants to scream back, 5.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Aslan (5. September 2015 um 05:53)

• Random thought...

Why are some people that join your forum "real oddballs". And no I don't mean you Adam, somebody else. You try to be friendly. welcoming and talkative towards them and they remain "ignorant" towards you. You get some who are just not worth the effort...

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Macondiana (5. September 2015 um 10:30)

• You get some who are just not worth the effort...

I think every forum attracts some kind of odd person... In my case its the previous owner and it seems he's not to 'smart' and doesn't want to understand that copy/pasting full articles is not done. Then he's pissed off he doesn't like the alternative, copy a few lines and put a link to the article.. nope, he does not want to that, its full copy/paste or nothing... *sigh*

• I think every forum attracts some kind of odd person... In my case its the previous owner and it seems he's not to 'smart' and doesn't want to understand that copy/pasting full articles is not done. Then he's pissed off he doesn't like the alternative, copy a few lines and put a link to the article.. nope, he does not want to that, its full copy/paste or nothing... *sigh*

Inform him that creative content must either be readapted to suite or given credit to source and not doing so violates a few laws in most civilized societies.

• Random thought...

Why are some people that join your forum "real oddballs". And no I don't mean you Adam, somebody else. You try to be friendly. welcoming and talkative towards them and they remain "ignorant" towards you. You get some who are just not worth the effort...

What?! I worked hard to be the 'odd ball'. lol :P (I'm of course joking and teasing you, while having a laugh at myself)

What is normal? In our world I don't think there really is such a thing.

Looking at some of the extreme... In some parts of the world cats are pets and in others, food. In some parts of the world they worship cows and in other parts, they're cheeseburgers.

We live in a mad (crazy) world. Being a little crazy by that extension one could argue is normal. If that being the case, than we're all normal. :P

( I actually do dismiss those who go out of their way to just be arrogant or seek nothing more than to argue. Or sometime I choose to have a personal laugh and argue a little back, just to see how far they'll go. )

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!