Languages - 'Add new language variable' and 'Synchronise languages'

• App
    WoltLab Suite Core

In WBB 3.x there were two important language options: 'Add new language variable' and 'Synchronise languages'. In WBB 4.x these options don't exist.

When another language than English or German is used (normally the plugins only have German and English variables), these options are necessary to create the missing language variables.

• Still you can make the language .xml file and import it, that saved me some time, but still try implement tthe add form for language variables as well.

Edited: there is no option to delete a language variable or to edit it's variable name!

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Neither of these actions are actually required:

• Adding custom variables was required in order to achieve certain i18n capabilities, such as forum names. This is built-in for all names that theoretically support phrases, therefore these variables are automatically created whenever required
    • Synchronizing languages was required to pull over variables that do not exist in a secondary language. This is no longer required because missing variables are implicitly pulled over and the ACP UI allows editing of phrases that do not exist in the target language but in another, in this case the variables is created automatically
  • Neither of these actions are actually required:

• Adding custom variables was required in order to achieve certain i18n capabilities, such as forum names. This is built-in for all names that theoretically support phrases, therefore these variables are automatically created whenever required
    • Synchronizing languages was required to pull over variables that do not exist in a secondary language. This is no longer required because missing variables are implicitly pulled over and the ACP UI allows editing of phrases that do not exist in the target language but in another, in this case the variables is created automatically

When one imports a language which doesn't have all the variables, I'm not able to add that missing variable in that particular language that was imported.

So... either something is not working on my side or what you just mentioned doesn't work for imported languages. I simply can't find a way to add missing variables to a language that was imported. No, it is not working automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

We will not add an option to add phrases or synchronize languages, instead we're taking another route to solve this problem.

In general the system will ensure consistency between languages in all cases but one: Importing new languages from a file. In this particular scenario only the phrases from the file are taken into account, ignoring all other, possibly existing phrases that do not appear in the XML file. This is also the source of your issues that led to this suggestion.

We counter this by changing the way new languages are imported: If the language does not already exist, it will be first created by duplicating an existing language (you'll have an option to chose which one to use) and then phrases from the XML file will overwrite the values. Basically this ensures consistency before setting the translated values, which eventually eliminates the need to manually keep languages in sync.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!