Failed Database Import from 3.1.8 board

• I successfully installed wbb4 and I have been trying to import the backup to the new platform but to no avail. Keep in mind that I have followed all the steps suggested in the Migration to Burning Board 4 thread. Nothing seems to work. I keep getting this error: Connecting to MySQL server 'alfahosting-server.de' failed:
    SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Ein. Of course, the credentials to access the database are correct, and I also made sure the Table Prefix of the source MySQL database correspond. Needless to mention that I set the importer for the correct board 3.1.x etc. So, I'm at loss of ideas. My question is: can I import the database locally and import them through 'localhost' instead of via remote connection to the old forum?

Thanks

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (3. Januar 2014 um 19:25)

• Yes, here's the complete error:

Connecting to MySQL server 'alfahosting-server.de' failed:
    SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die
    Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht richtig reagiert
    hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene
    Host nicht reagiert hat.

Where could I set/check the way the importer is trying to connect with the old forum?

• Yes, the old forum is online, while I'm installing wbb4 in another server and locally, just to first familiarize with the new platform and set things out before the official switch. I'm using xampp and installed wbb4 in the localhost (127.0.0.1) and not "live." That might be the socket issue you mentioned. Is there any way to import database backup to a local installation?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (3. Januar 2014 um 21:14)

• I installed the wbb4 locally, but in a root server (not the same where the forum is hosted now). This root server where I installed the board locally is online and is a game server. I believe that this would make the computer part of its network. I didn't install the board in my home computer. I simply connected from there to the root server to install and manage the newly-installed wbb4.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (4. Januar 2014 um 00:16)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The error message is clear, the server refused a connection and because it is blocked by a firewall the connection simply times out. Database servers for hosting accounts are usually only accessible from the servers running the hosted webspace. That means that even if you rented a server from them, you would still have no access since it is not a hosting machine.

• Yes, you are right. I realized that hosts don't support/allow connection to and from database - safety reasons I guess. Now, I've been trying a different approach. I installed the board on another host and I am setting it up online this time. I still have the problem of importing the database from the old forum. I cannot simply "migrate" because it's not installed in the same host. The database cannot be imported through PhpMyAdmin because of the file size limit (the database file is too big for that). I wish the wbb4 had a database import similar to the 3.1.8, which is quite simple to use to backup and restore databases.

• Could you download both forum copies from both hosts to computer hard drive, install XAMPP, then install/restore both forum copies on XAMPP, then import one from other? http://localhost/first-forum/ (1st copy 3.1.8) and http://localhost/second-forum (2nd copy WBB4) Then just import "First" to "Second" or visa versus? Done. Then upload/restore final copy to live host itself and done. It might be pain, if big forum, but I think it's easier this way regardless.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (4. Januar 2014 um 09:06)

• I still have the problem of importing the database from the old forum. I cannot simply "migrate" because it's not installed in the same host.

add extra domain(new database,fresh WBB 3.8 install) ) on your hosting server and migrate(import) old board(3.8) to it to it
    clear current web site and make fresh WBB4 install
    than make import from extra domain

• Could you download both forum copies from both hosts to computer hard drive, install XAMPP, then install/restore both forum copies on XAMPP, then import one from other? http://localhost/first-forum/ (1st copy 3.1.8) and http://localhost/second-forum (2nd copy WBB4) Then just import "First" to "Second" or visa versus? Done. Then upload/restore final copy to live host itself and done. It might be pain, if big forum, but I think it's easier this way regardless.

add extra domain(new database,fresh WBB 3.8 install) ) on your hosting server and migrate(import) old board(3.8) to it to it

I think this makes sense. I have been so focusing so much on the databases that I didn't think of having both boards running in parallel in the same host in order to simplify the import/migration. Thanks all for the input and suggestions. I will try and report back the results.

• add extra domain(new database,fresh WBB 3.8 install) ) on your hosting server and migrate(import) old board(3.8) to it to it

This will work too, but might be more work. Could just add new domain name, install WBB4 on new domain name, then import 3.1.8 original forum > WBB4 (new domain, new database), done. xD I normally use XAMPP though, because I have total control over the hosting settings and it's faster, plus if something breaks, you can always start fresh quickly.

• Yes, I like XAMPP tooo, actually, which is what I have installed in the old host. It's flexible and as you said allowed me to do just that: start from scratch every time something went south, and it did with this issue that I've been having.

I was able to finally import the gigantic file of my old forum database into the one created on the new host. Now I get a different error when I try to import in the Installation: Unable to find a valid installation with the given path. This is odd since I haven't touched the directory and left everything as it was since first installing wwb4 (I left the default destination paths assigned by the installer). I wonder where the importer is expecting to find the new database now.

EDIT: I simply added /upload/ at the end of the path and it worked. It's now importing. It's quite the big file so it took a while. That's how I did it: I created a second new database under MySQL called exactly the same as the old one. I created a backup directory in the new host and transferred the database file via FTP. Contacted the host support and ask them to import the file (all the tables) in the new database. In ACP I used the credentials I created for the new database and this time it accepted them and was able to "connect," (of course you might say). It seems all is in order aside from users' avatars. Even though I selected that option in the importer, no avatar is visible. Any ideas why?

And by the way, let me thank you again for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rafix73 (4. Januar 2014 um 18:23)

• Yes, I like XAMPP tooo, actually, which is what I have installed in the old host. It's flexible and as you said allowed me to do just that: start from scratch every time something went south, and it did with this issue that I've been having.

I was able to finally import the gigantic file of my old forum database into the one created on the new host. Now I get a different error when I try to import in the Installation: Unable to find a valid installation with the given path. This is odd since I haven't touched the directory and left everything as it was since first installing wwb4 (I left the default destination paths assigned by the installer). I wonder where the importer is expecting to find the new database now.

Hm, odd. I never did an import with WBB, but just throwing this out there. Are the paths right for location of WBB 3.1.8 inside ACP > Import area for WBB 4.0? Like, /home/username/public_html/first-forum-318/ and the folders for attachments, avatars, images etc? Or, xampp/htdocs/first-forum-318/ for "paths"? I could be wrong, maybe someone else has better opinion or suggestion. :)

• I
    fixed that after I posted

If you see the edit above the only problem now is that it didn't import users' avatars.

Oh, okay. Lol. Not sure about the avatars, still might be path/location issue? Or chmod of avatar folder issue? Must be something trivial though, if only avatar importing is issue and others are working for importing them. Or could you just copy/move the avatars folder itself to new WBB 4.0 avatar folders? Hehe

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (4. Januar 2014 um 18:47)

• Yes, it's not big deal. But we have hundreds of users and fix them manually would be a pain. I could always ask them to change them themselves, of course. But I'd like to avoid that if it's possible.

• Yes, it's not big deal. But we have hundreds of users and fix them manually would be a pain. I could always ask them to change them themselves, of course. But I'd like to avoid that if it's possible.

Understand! :) ;) Maybe Alexander or someone else has better options. :) It was just my understanding though, that user id's and their avatars were "attached" in database itself, so even if manually moving or copying the avatars from 3.1.8 to new WBB 4.0 forum copy, as long as users with their id's and avatars are same and match, their avatars will be assigned to their profiles properly...Then just "rebuild" all the data, users, forums, content, etc. But best to ask Alexander or another staff person here.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Smooey (4. Januar 2014 um 19:30)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!