Move the Report button somewhere else

• App
    WoltLab Suite Forum

I think it's better to move the Report button from where it's placed now (near the quote button), because it's not like that button will be used often by the users and some will keep pressing it by mistaken. Maybe place it after Share icon?

• Hmmm...? Imo it's in good place. People are using their mind or not?

It's not about peoples using their minds or not, it's about usability and how often you use that button on a daily basis, why IP.Board, vBulletin, XenForo etc. choose to place the report button in a different place than Quote, Reputation etc. buttons?

• In the real world, that button is rarely used by mistake. I do have some big boards where i am mod or admin, and the problem you describe simply does not exists. On the contrary, I think that button is very well placed there, since it can be easily found.

Other big boards (talking about boards who are big enough to use custom software here) also place the report button directly adjacent to like/dislike.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• I agree with others on this one, I don't see it causing any possible issues at all where it's at now. People won't or don't usually mistake the buttons and press it unless it's necessary. So I don't really see an issue with it's placement currently. I suppose it COULD be moved up by the share link button or icon, but then that just means more styling and upgrading of system/files and who wants that.. Lol! But most people just take their time and pick the right icon/buttons anyway. If someone accidentally hit the report icon/button on your own forum, just chalk it up to a mistake/accident and carry on as usual. It's rare that it would happen anyway. :)

• i just want this released already lmao. i'm dying for an importer script
    and official plugins to be ready for 4.0!! i put my forum on hold for
    weeks / months now.. and it depressing me. i don't want to launch and
    spend money on un-official plugins because i don't want to make it
    public and have to switch. it's pointless to build whole forum up and
    launch it.. and then tell people to stop posting because i have to
    import all the stuff later. and i spent money on other plugins too, that
    i'll probably have to buy again (which i don't have money for either)
    for 4.0. :(. just sucks man..
    i don't know what to do anymore... it taking too long, and i losing
    money. spending money on all these plugins and nothing is ready for 4.0
    yet.. and then have to pay more money later for 4.0 versions of
    plugins.. and have 3.1.7 plugin copies i spent money on and not being
    used either.. hence asking about running two forums with 3.1.7 and one
    with 4.0. but can only do one copy of wbb..

• You guys got it wrong, I did not say that users will actually make reports by mistaken, they will just press the button by mistaken.

It's the same thing I said though, I doubt users will accidentally hit the button / icon. It's extremely rare for that to happen. :) Even "hovering over" the icon, it tells you what it's for too. People generally don't report anything at all, only under rare and important cases things get reported.

• It's the same thing I said though, I doubt users will accidentally hit the button / icon. It's extremely rare for that to happen. :) Even "hovering over" the icon, it tells you what it's for too. People generally don't report anything at all, only under rare and important cases things get reported.

Contrary to what others think, I do think Tony had a point there - in my years using / running forums I have met individuals who are in a hurry to do EVERYTHING & it would seem as though all activities in their lives are just scripted out of daily habit :D Some of these individuals were also avid "forumers" in some of my forums and they would literally post 100+ posts each day. Looking at such characters, its not hard to imagine them rapidly clicking the quote / like / unlike buttons while they spam a WBB4 forum :D and then its only a matter of time and chance that they click wrongly on the Report button. To this end I think Tony's idea is probable though however rare it may be.

BUT, LuFo's comment actually gives a sound logic as to why such a mistake will be practically non-existent in a WBB4 board - clicking on the Report button opens up a new dialog / overlay for typing the reason for reporting. As such, Tony, I think people mistakenly reporting posts due to wrong clicks wont happen as once they see the overlay pop up they will check themselves and know they did a wrong click. Hope this puts all your apprehensions as well as this small debate, to rest ;)

• Contrary to what others think, I do think Tony had a point there - in my years using / running forums I have met individuals who are in a hurry to do EVERYTHING & it would seem as though all activities in their lives are just scripted out of daily habit :D Some of these individuals were also avid "forumers" in some of my forums and they would literally post 100+ posts each day. Looking at such characters, its not hard to imagine them rapidly clicking the quote / like / unlike buttons while they spam a WBB4 forum :D and then its only a matter of time and chance that they click wrongly on the Report button. To this end I think Tony's idea is probable though however rare it may be.

BUT, LuFo's comment actually gives a sound logic as to why such a mistake will be practically non-existent in a WBB4 board - clicking on the Report button opens up a new dialog / overlay for typing the reason for reporting. As such, Tony, I think people mistakenly reporting posts due to wrong clicks wont happen as once they see the overlay pop up they will check themselves and know they did a wrong click. Hope this puts all your apprehensions as well as this small debate, to rest ;)

mayhaps your forum users need a time-out in a corner some wheres, or spankings then lol. :P I'm not sure though, but one would think even after mistakenly hitting the report button, they'd get the popup to fill in the reason WHY it was reported.. and think.. "Oh crap, I don't want to report this really, dang! I must have hit the wrong button!.." and back out of it. Lol. I kind of like having all those little buttons in one place though, it keeps them all right there in one little place. And be easier to code/style for skins/forum themes down the road too. I dunno, I guess it's up to the developers lol.

• and then its only a matter of time and chance that they click wrongly on the Report button.

even if they do, that just opens the report page, unless they type in a report message and submit it the post will not be reported. So what?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!