How can I install another language?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are no languages to install after you have installed the software.You are being asked for the languages to install while installing the software. ;)

It is of course possible, but somewhat tricky, because each package comes with its own language file. The reason is, that not all packages have to be installed. So there is simply not one big language file containing every language variable. Only those language variables, which are needed are being installed.

There are some full language file downloads in the Official Downloads section, but they are old and not recommended any more.

So the only way for you is to unpack the installation package until every contained package is unpacked and gather all contained language files of the languages you want to install and import them one after the other … but you'll have to do that for all packages, that means plug-ins also! It's a lot of work and not that easy.

If your installation is fresh and you have not yet modified too much i'll recommend a new installation. Then you can select all needed languages …

But wait until some other people answer, maybe someone has better news for you (which i doubt) …

• He can alternatively install the software temporary with languages needed, export them in the ACP, and import in his forum in production.

I think that don't create any problem ?

• THank you. I guess i will do the latter.

Another question: why do some plugins leave me with the NAME OF THE VARIABLE visible on the forum? Because there is no language that supports the language file that was with the plugin?

I mean: i download a german plugin: this, if german is NOT included in my forum, shows the VARIABLES NAMES and not the translation (in German) of the variables.

Is that normal? And.. how do I go back to that variable, translate it in italian, and have it work on my forum?

• I am sorry but it doesn't work!

When i install a plugin the new language variables are NOT INSTALLED!
    I find myself with text like this "wcf.acp.option.category.wordmatch.settings" and if i look it up in the wcf.acp.option.... in the language variables it is NOT THERE!

I have to add variables MANUALLY every time I add a new plugin!!
    Is this normal? Whatever I install, the new variables are NOT written to the language, so I have to go back to the language, write down how the variable is called, CREATE THE VARIABLE manually and then translate it.

Is there anything wrong with my forum?

• Have you made sure that the plugins you install ship with an english translation? If not, then yes, thats normal.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Ok, so i guess that's something Woltlab should change in the next version of the forum...
    WHen i install the plugin it would be better that the plugin installs the language variables IN THE LANGUAGE that the plugin has, and then I should translate it in whatever language I want, because plugins come with many different languages, and I cannot install 4 languages and go back and forth ...

It would be better if the plugin, if it doesn't find the language required, created the variables anyway with the language it has inside the language i have as standard, because as it is now i LOOSE ALL THE TERMS AND ALL THE WORDS, in some plugins I don't even know what the designer wanted to call a variable because I have NO REFERENCE whatsoever...

• Well, the downside of creating empty language variables is, that you would not notice if a variable was not translated. As it is now, you see that there is a variable missing in the frontend, and can add that variable. But if there is nothing to see (since the variable exists, but is empty) you might not even notice some missing variables.

I agree, it is inconvenient that you loose the reference. But you can always download the plugin and take a look at the language files, then you have a point to start from.

Btw, writing in all caps is considered SHOUTING and impolite. If you want to highlighte something, just make it italic or bold

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!