Howdy Folks, I hope you all had a Very Merry Christmas and will continue to have a Very Happy New Year.
Now I'm not certain this can be considered a "Technical Problem", it's probably more of a "Help File" problem. Or at least I think it is, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
To help explain the problem, I'll use term1, term2, term3, term4.... to represent individual words.
The "Help File" indicates that a search using: term1 term2 would be treated as a search for: term1 OR term2
I have found through extensive testing that: term1 term2 is treated as a search for: term1 AND term2
To achieve an OR result I must search for: "term1" "term2" is treated as a search for: term1 OR term2 ****The double quotes are required****
A quoted string "term1 term2 term3" is still treated as a quoted string.
Some additional results I've found: term1 ("term2 term3 term4") == term1 AND "term2 term3 term4" *****Brackets () required whenever you want to use an AND with a double quote " " *****
____________________________: term1 -("term2 term3 term4") == term1 AND NOT "term2 term3 term4"
____________________________ : term1 term2 ("term3" "term4") == term1 AND term2 AND (term3 OR term4)
____________________________ : term1 term2 -("term3" "term4") == term1 AND term2 AND NOT(term3 OR term4)
And so on, and so forth. Now, I did my testing on a small data set where the expected results could be easily predicted and the
syntax I've indicated above worked consistently over hundreds of queries (searches). The use of the plus sign "+" seems to be
irrelevant and I haven't really had the time to test out the rest of the "Help File" assertions, but since I have the "AND" "OR" and "NOT"
figured out, I'm quite happy since you can accomplish quite a bit with just those three. If you get different results then what I've indicated
Please let me know and I'll go back to assuming there is something wrong with my system.