Automatic Updates - Credentials Not Working

• I'm trying to update the following:

• Google-Maps Components 1.0.0 is updated to 1.1.0
    • Object Rating System 1.0.0 will be installed
    • Social Bookmark Utilities 1.0.0 will be installed
    • User Gallery 1.0.3 is updated to 1.1.0

My license number and license serial number are not working. I'm supposed to have Unlimited update access yet the server "http://update.woltlab.com/tempest/" denies access.
    I have tried copy and paste and manually typing it. Why am is my license being refused?
    I checked this: How can I do an automatic update?
    So far, the same login process is the same. (I even added the newest servers, triple checked for accuracy). Was the login process changed recently and not posted?

I am using WBB 3.1.4. Other small updates worked with no hassles

• Hi,

the User Gallery became a non-free plugin with the release of version 1.1.0. You need a valid license for the new gallery (see here: https://www.woltlab.com/wcg/). If you do not want the new gallery you can ignore the update information.

You might want to checkout this German thread (poorly translated by Google Translate): http://translate.google.de/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woltlab.com%2Fforum%2Fallgemein%2Ffaq-h%25C3%25A4ufig-gestellte-fragen%2F161689-wbb-3-1-3-auf-wbb-3-1-4-zugangsdaten-werden-nicht-angenommen-pers%25C3%25B6nliche-bildergalerie%2F

• So, basically, user gallery was once free, then they decided to make it commercial. And because it was in German, us English users were made to guess what the heck was going on. Nice to know that someone still ignores the English speaking customers and won't post it in English as well, since it does affect me.

Anyways, thanks for the help, since "illyaine" doesn't consider giving the English users a head up important enough to prevent us from saying WTF and complain about it. I know Woltlab is German based, but damn, how about a little more attention over here for the English community, especially when it comes to things going commercial that will be effecting the once-free stuff we may have installed. Not everyone that speaks English can read/write/speak German fluently. Since I don't read/write/speak German, I have no need to pay attention to German posts. I guess I'll be forced to spend more time using Google Translate to translate every single German post here in order to see if something will affect me or not, since some people on the Woltlab Team refuses to make multilingual posts.
    To Woltlab: How about investing in some Bi-linguists and making them post these updates that will affect access to certain updates we may have installed, instead of sending out people who won't acknowledge the other languages of the community.

To Hawkes: Again, thanks for the help. I'm so glad you speak and understand English and showed me that thread (even though you said it was poorly translated, it still gave me the general idea). I probably would have been far more pissed off being referred to the thread I linked in my 1st post like other people have in the past when it came to the topic Automatic Updates.

• The integration of the international community is far away from beeing perfect but WoltLab is on its way to improve the situation. To name one example: The new plugin-store forces every plugin author to provide a German and English Description.

That doesn't satisfy you, does it? ;) I agree that the information available to the international community is not enough and it scares away many interested users. I hope this improves as WoltLab puts more effort into the integration of the international community. In WBB 2 times there has been a quite large english community (wbbmods.com) but it died together with WBB 2.

By the way: Don't blame illyaine. He is just another customer like you trying to help other customers and not a WoltLab employee. I don't know exactly about his English skills but maybe they were not enough for an English translation of that FAQ thread. Nevertheless I'm sure he does acknowledge the other languages of the community.

• Sure its far from perfect, but while they spent their time working on the plugin site, they could have worked on putting information out on changes from what was free to what is now commercial, before "shit happens" and the English community starts complaining. And if they're going to post about it in English, call it what the package is. In this case (since Oberster Hirte posted a link to an English update about Community Gallery), I looked for updates on User Gallery and in the announcements folder it was called Community Gallery.

I'm more or less concerned about the lack of attention here in the community, not the plugins. Though it is nice to see that there is effort put into the modding part of Woltlab, it still does not help the English community here where the customers need the information that concern us about the updates (like the one you pointed out that went commercial). And as for WBB 2 Mods... A member there is part of the Woltlab Team, the user should most definitely have acknowledged the English community, but they did not. The username doesn't come to mind right now, but I'd be able to mention it when I come across the user again.

As for illyaine, I was under the impression he was a WoltLab Employee, since he is a moderator... (technically, Woltlab staff, whether he is paid or not) and the Avatar says "Woltlab Team", which deepens the impression that he is an "employee". The focus still needs to be on the support side first, at least for information about changes that involve our license information (including that "Community Gallery" plug-in, which apparently is the User gallery). The priority should be the support side first, then invest in spreading to the modding community. I'd rather know what changes are taking place and what will be going from free to commercial so I can at least be ready for those changes when it happens.

To Oberster Hirte: I looked in the announcements forum... though I was looking for User Gallery... did not find out it was Community Gallery (which is a different title from what the update was telling me). Something else that seems like it needs to be fixed. Either stick with User Gallery or change the update messages and package name when its installed to Community Gallery.

• My english isn't good for an official message in the FAQ section, and i wrote this FAQ message only, because german users ask this question every day. You're the first one to ask about this problem in English.

• The English community has long come second and is ignored.

The official response is always to say basically it is because there are not enough English users posting in the forums, etc. The rebuttal is always that English users don't post because there is no support for them ... I myself have brought up the fact that important announcements need to be made in both English and German. For example, when Arian left the company, I was shocked to find out ... because it was only announced in German. In any case, there is always the promise that things will change ... but it never happens. (What about the old user manual from version 2.x ... it was promised for how many years that it would be FULLY translated to English and then we were told it was not going to happen because 3.x would be coming out).

Years later and it's the same old thing.

I also have to agree that having the gallery once free and then deciding to charge for it was kind of a crappy move ... especially when it was not really announced properly to the English-speaking community. And, the cost isn't "a bit" ... over $30 USD (not to mention the need to factor in an exchange rate that PayPal will impose ... which always tends to be slightly more).

I'd love to purchase the add-on ... and the various styles ... but can't afford it.

You cannot fail when you only strive to succeed.

• I myself have brought up the fact that important announcements need to be made in both English and German.

Since then, every announcement has been translated ;)

Zitat

(What about the old user manual from version 2.x ... it was promised for how many years that it would be FULLY translated to English and then we were told it was not going to happen because 3.x would be coming out).

Well, at least the documentations for wbb 3.x were translated into english - both the installation guide as well as the developers documentation.

Zitat

I also have to agree that having the gallery once free and then deciding to charge for it was kind of a crappy move ... especially when it was not really announced properly to the English-speaking community. And, the cost isn't "a bit" ... over $30 USD (not to mention the need to factor in an exchange rate that PayPal will impose ... which always tends to be slightly more).

I'd love to purchase the add-on ... and the various styles ... but can't afford it.

It _was_ announced, you simply didn't read it. you might have the feeling, that there was a better announcement in german, but thats simply not the case. But the german announcement was read by many more people, and therefore more deeply discusssed, spreading the fact that it will cost a bit now more quickly. But the announcements were absolutely identical...

Compare it yourself:
    A Preview of Community Gallery 1.1
    Vorschau auf Community Gallery 1.1

I think english support is far from perfect - but it definitely has improved in the past. The steps might be little, but there were some steps at all.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• Hi Tr3kk3r,

Thanks for the feedback ... totally appreciate it and am adult enough to admit when I am wrong. But, the fact that it was called COMMUNITY GALLERY in the announcement versus USER GALLERY (as it was called) makes things confusing. I myself saw the Community Gallery 1.1 preview thread; but, thought it was going to be some brand-new product (and not just an update of the previously free plug-in).

I think part of things not being discussed on the English boards is because English users have typically felt "left out." I will admit that is why I don't frequent these boards as often as I could. There have just been times in the past I have felt disregarded. And, while I can't speak for others, I believe that may be the case for many English users.

Thanks again though for the clarifications to my post.

:)

You cannot fail when you only strive to succeed.

• The focus still needs to be on the support side first, at least for information about changes that involve our license information (including that "Community Gallery" plug-in, which apparently is the User gallery). The priority should be the support side first, then invest in spreading to the modding community. I'd rather know what changes are taking place and what will be going from free to commercial so I can at least be ready for those changes when it happens.

Concerning the English news: Since the news on October 23rd in 2009, Harald is making an English translation of every news here on the forums as fast as he can. All official FAQ entries are translated as well.
    Concerning moderators like illyaine: AFAIK there were always volunteers in the WoltLab team. You can see who is an WoltLab official by looking at this page: https://www.woltlab.com/about/team.html

The only focus from the WoltLab officials here in the forums is information and will ever be information. There is no official support here in the forums for German customers as well as for the English customers. If you need license support you have to write an e-mail to woltlab@woltlab.com and if you need official support for the forum you need to create a support ticket: https://www.woltlab.com/support/ and if you found an error, you can post it to the bugtracker linked here in the top menu.
    The forums are only for user to user support and there is no guaranteed answer from the officials here in the forums.

I hope the explanation is helping you. ;)

MfG Markus Zhang (aka RouL)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!