Shared users table between 2 forums

• Do both forums already exist?

If the first forum already exists, and the second not, it is quite simple. Go nto the first forums ACP and install the "Burning Board" a second time. Then you will have two forums in one WCF (the wcf holds all users etc., therefore both forums will shra e the same users).

If the second board already exists, do the same as stated above, but after that use the importer to import the data into the new installed forum.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• I want to make them share users dynamically. How to install another WBB from ACP not installing the WFC too ?

I am thinking about making 2 forums like:

forum1.domain.com and forum2.domain.com.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Alex626 (5. Dezember 2010 um 14:06)

• Installing two WBBs into one WCF is exactly what you want.

I will try to explain it to you:

When you install a WBB, the WCF is installed automatically. WCF is the Framework, on top of which the WBB is built. ALL users in your WBB are stored inside the WCF. If you now install a second WBB ito the same WCF, they will share their users dynamically.

It is the same technique used in WoltLab Support Forum and WoltLab Community. Try it. Register a new user in the WoltLab Community. You will see, you can login into the WoltLab Support forum with the same login data (username, password). try to send that new user a private message. You will see, that it is in fact the same user, since you will be able to read that private message both in WoltLab Support Forum ans WoltLab Community.

You can install a second WBB into the same WCF as the forst WBB, if you simply take the "update package" of the WBB and install it using "Install Package" in the ACP of the first WBB.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" — Leonard Nimoy

• I tried to do that, and installation was successful. But unfortunately I cannot solve the problem with domains. I will try to explain.

I have my main WBB\WCF installed in mydomain.com. I want my new forum to be accessible at forum.mydomain.com. I make a package update and then I choose the installation folder that is "forum.mydomain.com". Installer notes that it is a wrong path, though still it is possible to install. After install I have my config.inc.php and line which defines WCF path:

PHP
    define('RELATIVE_WCF_DIR', RELATIVE_WBB_DIR.'../mydomain.com/wcf/');

So if I translate it as it is, I have my WCF path as "forum.mydomain.com/../mydomain.com/wcf/", and PHP just returns it as "forum.mydomain.com/mydomain.com/wcf/". It fails and does not even load the styles... But I can still log in with my account at "mydomain.com".

What can I do in order to resolve the problem?

Edit:

I finally found the solution. The way to share user tables does not depend on any WBB installation or WCF situation. It is pretty simple. Just make a new installation of the WBB from ACP, then copy all folders like wcf, images, icons, style and etc. from your site to a new forum location. The key is a config.inc.php inside WCF folder which contains an access information to your database, so both forums use only 1 db.

I tried to share users. It works. I register a user on one of the forums. After I log in at another forum, the user appears in its users list.

Maybe this should be sticked as a solution of sharing the users DB ?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Alex626 (30. Dezember 2010 um 22:59)

• Edit:

I finally found the solution. The way to share user tables does not depend on any WBB installation or WCF situation. It is pretty simple. Just make a new installation of the WBB from ACP, then copy all folders like wcf, images, icons, style and etc. from your site to a new forum location. The key is a config.inc.php inside WCF folder which contains an access information to your database, so both forums use only 1 db.

I tried to share users. It works. I register a user on one of the forums. After I log in at another forum, the user appears in its users list.

Maybe this should be sticked as a solution of sharing the users DB ?

That is an very screwed solution and should NOT be used.

You DO NOT need to copy the wcf folder.

Install the first wbb from the normal standalone installation package. Then go into the acp of the first wbb and install the second wbb using the update package. That works.

You will have an folder structur similar to this, it might vary a bit, but this is a working example:

-- forum 1
    -- -- wcf
    -- forum 2

you can easily see the problem: if your domain (forum1.exmple.com) points to /forum 1, then the wcf will be available via forum1.example.com/wcf/. So forum 1 will work.
    Now, your second domain (forum2.example.com) will point to /forum2/. Forum 2 will NOT work, since the wcf is not accessible under forum2.example.com.

The solution to that is NOT to copy the wcf folder. The solution is to create an appropriate symlink, so that the wcf folder will be available under the second domain (forum2.example.com).

As far as i know, WoltLab also uses symlinks for their installation of Woltlab Support Forum and Woltlab community.

if you do it the way you did it, with copying the folder, you will soon recognise arbitrary behavior when updating packages or installing new packages, and you might recognise arbitrary behavoir with caches and styles.

• Hmm, I don't see any problem with templates, cache or slyles since these settings are not stored in DB. I have 2 copies of my forum just correctly set up.

But anyway, even if my way works, I want to know more about symlinks. How can I make forum2.examole.com to access WFC?

• Hmm, I don't see any problem with templates, cache or slyles since these settings are not stored in DB.

Thats exactly my point. They are not stored in the DB. But, lets imagine some things. What might happen, if you update your WCF? Since you have copied your acf folder, you will soon notice, that one of this folders has the updated files, and the other one has not. But the WCF thinks, it has completely be updated.

Zitat

I have 2 copies of my forum just correctly set up.

No, you have not. You have set up somethings that works for the moment, but that wont hold forever. Consider my example concerning an update of the WCF. You WILL get some errors in the future.

I can give you another nice example: You edit your style in the ACP. The CSS Files in the WCF folder were updated. The CSS Files in ONE of the WCF folders. The second folder wont be affected. You will see, that the style wont be displayed correctly in the other forum.

Concerning symlinks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symlink
    If you want to get more information about symlinks, feel free to use google or the search function of this forum. it has been answered some times in this forum, how you can set up the wcf to be used under multiple domains using symlinks.

• I finally made a symlink and installed the new WBB. Everything seems right, except DownloadDB plugin which seems to be shared too. Is there any way to delete it from second WBB not deleting from first.

• Wich download db have you installed? If you have "Tatzelwurm"s database, then thats right, you have it in both wbbs, and also i all other standalone applications in that wcf, since it is a wcf plugin ;)

• The linked database dows work with the wcf ;)

Infinite Filebase is a standalone application, like thw wbb. You can install it like every other plugin, but it has all unique features of a standalone application.

• I have seen a WebDisk plugin from WBBSecutity, but their site is unresponsible atm. Also, when I try to install Infinite Filebase, no matter what I try - symlink path like mysite.com\>files or just files.mysite.com, I have all language variables lost, and ACP seems like it does not have any css file.

• wbb-security.de is now viecode.com ;) You can still get the webdisk plugin there ;)

Can you post an example of your folder structure and the symlinks you have created, as well as information to which of those folders which domains points?
    It might be neccessary to create symlinks for infinite filebase as well, since it is, like wbb, a standalone application.

• I have my sites setup:

domains\mysite.com\wcf
    domains\site.mysite.com

symlink "wcf" inside of
    domains\site.mysite.com
    which points to domains\mysite.com\wcf

and symlink "site" inside of
    domains\mysite.com\
    pointing at domains\site.mysite.com

• Well, if you install the infinite filebase, you would have to create similar symlinks for the filebase as well, e.g.

domains\database.mysite.com

symlink "wcf" inside of
    domains\database.mysite.com
    which points to domains\mysite.com\wcf

• Yes, I did it, but the file base is screwed. Maybe its because the forum uses a different language?

I also wonder is there any way to block WBB from opening some pages, for example in mysite,com I have Download DB installed, so it will be available in forum1.mysite.com by the link. But I want to block it there.

• Zitat

Yes, I did it, but the file base is screwed.

Can you give more accurate information? What do you mean with "screwed"? Is there a link where i can look myself?

well, i would use another folder structure:

Lets say, this is our folder structure:

-- wcf
    -- forum1
    -- forum2
    -- database

The domains mysite.com points to /forum1/. This means, you will need a symlink /forum1/wcf/, pointing to /wcf/
    The domain forum2.mysite.com points to /forum2/. you will need a symlink /forum2/wcf/, pointing to /wcf/
    The domain database.mysite.com points to /database/. You will need a symlink /database7wcf/, pointing to /wcf/

This way all standalone applications are availabe under their own domain only. Of course you need those symlinks, since you have to make the wcf available under each of those domains.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!