Modify links in a section (open links in new windows)

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no attribute "target" any more in XHTML 1.1 that we use in our software.

You should let your users decide whether they want their links to be opened in a new window or tab or in the same window, because otherwise you force your users to surf the web your way, which is not user friendly! These days everyone has a mouse with 3 buttons, where the middle button /(third button) is for new tabs. Most of the users don't want to open links in new windows. Thry to surf the modern way with tabs, not 1000 windows opened over each other (that's chaos)!

The only people who may need that function are users with Internet Explorer browsers in version 6 or below, which has no tabs …

If you still insist on opening links in new windows, try that free plugin which brings a Javascript workaround to open windows, that should be what you wanted, but think about what i wrote above for one minute … ;)

Here's the link to our download and customizing community called the WoltLab-Community (WCom).

And here's the link to the plugin.

You are already registered in the WCom, same login data as here … :)

• What you told me is true, thank you. I've already asked to my users via pools wich navigation style they prefer and the 100% of them wants the section links in the home page external. In the posts instead, the major part asked me this: external link in a new windows/tab and internal link in the same window.

To get the second result I think is possible to modify the URL BBCode at this line:

Code
    return '<a href="'.$url.'"'.($external ? ' class="externalURL"' : '').'>'.$content.'</a>';

like this:

Code
    return '<a href="'.$url.'"'.($external ? ' class="externalURL" rel="external"' : '').'>'.$content.'</a>';

The rel="external" is XHTML 1.1 compliant.
    This change doesn't influence the section links in the home page ( ) cause they aren't BBCode parsed. I'll try to use the plugin you suggested (my template is not standard and this can give me some troubles I'm reading) or i'll try to make something ad-hoc.

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you edit the templates to achieve the new window effect, be sure not to edit the standard templates!

Always use the template editor in the ACP together with template groups and only copy the templates you want to customize into a template group! That prevents you from probolems with updates and other plugins …

Never work on the files directly on the file system!

Have you already read that? That also contains a lot of useful information: Installations Guide

• Thank you for the info, i always leave a backup copy in case of trouble, anyway that code shouldn't touch the template, it's a BBCode implementation and actually doesn't seems to work :P
    After this change all rest the same and all the links are shown in the same windows do you see any errors?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!