Banning users

• You can add restricted email-adresses in your administration. You find the option in:
    ACP-> System-> Options-> members

Here you can add email adresses or domain wildcards.

IP banning is not possible at the moment with WBB3, but you can create a .htaccess-file with "deny from 123.21.12.2", even the IP you want to ban.

"Wer denkt etwas zu sein, hat aufgehört etwas zu werden!" - Sokrates

• Now get to work fixing this. not a suggestion

Thanx for your friendly words … 8|

IP-banning is useless, because most web-surfers (me too) are online with changing IP-adresses. That is, why it isn't implemented … ;)

"Viribus Unitis"

Harald Székely
    Designer

• Thanx for your friendly words … 8|

IP-banning is useless, because most web-surfers (me too) are online with changing IP-adresses. That is, why it isn't implemented … ;)

More and more provider will give static ip address to theire customer. In France now the most of the users have a static ip, and I guess it will be the same soon in germany :)

But in all the way, it's never possible to really ban a user, since he can still create a new account. And in all the forum I used to admin, I never used this feature (ip ban)

• My other script is sneaky, when i ban them. they almost always stay banned.
    When i ban them they are given a cookie next time they log in.
    as soon as the page reloads it tell them they have been banned.
    they cant start a new account until they delete the cookie.
    most of them never think of it. Something to think about. :)

It will not work on everyone but you would be surprised how well it does work.. ^^

• Here in Sweden most isps give you a range of ip numbers ie my isp have dedicated a range of 5 to me BUT it will only change if i reboot the modem, witch i never do.

• IP-banning is useless, because most web-surfers (me too) are online with changing IP-adresses. That is, why it isn't implemented … ;)

I don't know how thins are in Germany but in Poland more and more companies are offering static IP as a standard. I have one and in fact all my users (except those connecting via HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS... in other words, via the GSM network) have static IP addresses so banning IP is not a problem. Anyway it is easy to check this before you ban. This should definitely be a feature. You can ban IP in vBulletin and you can do it in Invision Power Board.

• just a little note: its not totaly true that you have a static IP in france, it still the same until you change it using ipconfig.

It actually depends of the provider. With "Free", you get once for all a static ip, and never change even if you reboot your modem. That's how I can have my personal web server, since one year, my ip address never changed (+ more thant 100 TV channels, + free phone for 70 destinations, and soon the optical fiber in my building, all that for 30€/month :) that's why I say in France it's a bit more in advance than Germany for internet. A new law for 2008 in France say it will be an obligation to put optical fiber when new building are built).

A feature I saw in another board system is a list of the IP taken by a specific user over the time. Then we can now if he has a static IP or not, and ban him in consequance. After I really don't know about the law if it's against or not.

• A feature I saw in another board system is a list of the IP taken by a specific user over the time. Then we can now if he has a static IP or not, and ban him in consequance

That is already implemented. Just click on the globe beneath a users sidebar in threads and if a user has had more than one IP adress, they will be listed there. ;)

"Viribus Unitis"

Harald Székely
    Designer

• It actually depends of the provider. With "Free", you get once for all a static ip

would u please try this and let me know the result:
    in cmd type: ipconfig /release
    hit enter
    after few minutes type: ipconfig /renew

ps: i got optical fiber connection ;)

• Ho, you're certainly right, I didn't think we could have directly the access to our ip :)
    But I'll not try, otherwise I'll have to wait 24 hours for the new DNS.
    But in this case, that's right, a ip banning is useless.